Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Potential Switch Intel - Amd, i7 920 - amd FX-8350
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Potential Switch Intel - Amd, i7 920 - amd FX-8350

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Ola,

I've had the system specs attached to my sig for awhile now. Had some bumps, bruises over the years, etc. Been with Intel forever... (486, p1, p3, celeron, Pd, Core2Duo mobile, and i7 920 now...).

I'm not a fan of either, just understood for the most part, intel was stronger at multi tasking. I'm not looking for flame bashing, not my interest here.

I'm genuinely interested in learning about amd's best of the best, how it performs versus current i7's, and which is the better "bang for buck" with overclocking, and memory choices for stability, not just speed.

If I do go AMD, I want the best preferably, and as well, the memory i'll start with 4x8gb easily for memory sticks. (Switching from my 12gb on my rig).



My primary use is Gaming, side use is video editing, amature photo editing, and occasional audio editing.


What I will be transfering over is my xfire 6870's, and now a potentially dedicated 9800GT 512mb as a physx card only.

I run single monitor, HP24" ips display, 1920x1200. With side BenQ 22" 1920x1080 display. (Older but still kicks well).

Potentially adding a pci-e 1x sound card (creative or xonar series).

Thanks for the input in advance,

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
If you were to go for the best of AMD, then FX8350 is what you should consider. It competes directly with an i5 3570K but is also cheaper. However, if you just plan to play games, the i5 edges out the 8350 by a small margin. As with video editing and other productivity apps, you would see the benefit of having an extra 4-cores.
How do you plan to add, three video cards + a PCI-E1 sound card. Would that create airflow problems ??
post #3 of 6
oops
post #4 of 6
Honestly, cost is a big factor for a lot of people on why they would even go AMD or Intel. (Everything else is mostly flamebait or fanboyism).

But clearly from what you use it for, gaming and video editing, the FX-8350 will suite you just perfect. Gaming it's more or less than an i5-3570K, but with video editing/conversion, the 8 integer cores will be perfect. And drop in at least 16GB of ram, you're good to go.
post #5 of 6
Price wise the fx-8350 will be cheaper. Here's some pro's and cons i think with going the 8350 route.

Pro's
Great multitasking ability, absolutely phenomenal. Rivals i7-3770k in this area for just over half the price.
8 threads means highly threaded games like BF3 will perform exceptionally.
Unlocked cpu, with great overclock potential, expect 4.8-5.0ghz with good cooling.
Price is going to be significantly cheaper then the same quality of intel build.

Con's
Somewhat low single threaded performance, for example... it get's crushed in cpu bound low threaded games, mostly Real time strategy games.
Not quite all the performance is there in low threaded games, as stated above. As long as it's not a RTS game it will be within 5-10fps in low threaded games.
High power consumption then comparable intel builds, especially when overclocked.

Not so much a pro or con but a nice piece of info
If overclocking, with the amd 8 core you must make sure the motherboard you choose has a strong vrm setup, any 990fxa chipset board will do. some 970 chipset boards are questionable. Avoid MSI.
8 cores may be the way to go soon for gaming, with the new consoles both rumored to sport 8 core processors, we may see many more highly threaded games around the corner.
For bulldozer architecture processors (8350 is 2nd revision "piledriver") they respond exceptionally well to fast memory speeds, i recommend at least ddr3-1866.
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 2017
(17 items)
 
Home Server
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 @ 3.95GHz - 1.425V Asus Prime X370 Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE 2000/6000 @ 1.025v 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill DDR4 2933MHz CL16-16-16-35 1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
BPX 120GB NVMe SSD *boot* Intel 730 Series 240GB SSD Crucial BX100 1TB SSD Asus DVDRW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XG270HU 1440P 144Hz Freesync Cougar 600k Mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x1050w Antec 1100 V2 Razer Deathadder Elite Steelseries QCK Heavy 
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Opteron 4226 6 core Valencia 2.7GHz Asus KCMA-D8 Nvidia GT 520 1GB DDR3 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
32GB (4GBx8) Kingston 1066 ECC DDR3 (4x) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM HDD's out of an old NAS Lightscribe CD/DVDRW Xubuntu 16.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 17" 4:3 Trash Dell Membrane OCZ 750w Generic Mid Tower 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Lenovo Laser Tabletop None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon19932006 View Post

Price wise the fx-8350 will be cheaper. Here's some pro's and cons i think with going the 8350 route.

Pro's
Great multitasking ability, absolutely phenomenal. Rivals i7-3770k in this area for just over half the price.
8 threads means highly threaded games like BF3 will perform exceptionally.
Unlocked cpu, with great overclock potential, expect 4.8-5.0ghz with good cooling.
Price is going to be significantly cheaper then the same quality of intel build.

Con's
Somewhat low single threaded performance, for example... it get's crushed in cpu bound low threaded games, mostly Real time strategy games.
Not quite all the performance is there in low threaded games, as stated above. As long as it's not a RTS game it will be within 5-10fps in low threaded games.
High power consumption then comparable intel builds, especially when overclocked.

Not so much a pro or con but a nice piece of info
If overclocking, with the amd 8 core you must make sure the motherboard you choose has a strong vrm setup, any 990fxa chipset board will do. some 970 chipset boards are questionable. Avoid MSI.
8 cores may be the way to go soon for gaming, with the new consoles both rumored to sport 8 core processors, we may see many more highly threaded games around the corner.
For bulldozer architecture processors (8350 is 2nd revision "piledriver") they respond exceptionally well to fast memory speeds, i recommend at least ddr3-1866.


I understood with most i7's, that the 1600 was the most stable, but of amd, is there any "stability issues" for 1866 or higher? Or am I to expect even better stability for better speed?

Now for RTS, i'm considering Supreme commander 2 (I think the 2nd is out), as I may venture into that again. (Last game I played like that was Total Anihilation).

Now serious question, would the latest AMD, as mentioned the fx 8350.. Can it actually compete literally with the latest i7? Or can it at least blow away my i7 920 at 3.4ghz? (Curiosity, as if i'm going to build a new rig, or new internal components, I want to have the ability to run better then previous outright).

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post

Honestly, cost is a big factor for a lot of people on why they would even go AMD or Intel. (Everything else is mostly flamebait or fanboyism).

But clearly from what you use it for, gaming and video editing, the FX-8350 will suite you just perfect. Gaming it's more or less than an i5-3570K, but with video editing/conversion, the 8 integer cores will be perfect. And drop in at least 16GB of ram, you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

If you were to go for the best of AMD, then FX8350 is what you should consider. It competes directly with an i5 3570K but is also cheaper. However, if you just plan to play games, the i5 edges out the 8350 by a small margin. As with video editing and other productivity apps, you would see the benefit of having an extra 4-cores.
How do you plan to add, three video cards + a PCI-E1 sound card. Would that create airflow problems ??

For airflow, (I will post a pic later tonight if I have a brief chance). I use the Antec P280 case. And yes, airflow is difficult in any case, but with my current i7 cooler, it has 2x 120mm fans on it, and 12 copper pipes also. Not water cooling, but comparable to low/mid grade water cooling at a minimum. Cpu max's 80 celcius right now with full 100% load. I can prove with prime 95 64bit if required. I just hope the wife doesn't ramp up the heat when I test... ^_^ (Vent is closed, but only blocks so much).

For helping to partially space the video cards... The old antec p180 case came with alot of the rubber or cilicone spacers to buffer the hard drives, so that they'd have little to no vibrations. I use those carefully placed on the video cards so as not to space them to much to dislodge, rather to support each other and have that 1/16th inch of space for air flow. Changed the temps of my cards by 10 celcius easily.

Thanks for the non fanboy, but respectably honest opinions. I thoroughly appreciate it. smile.gif

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Potential Switch Intel - Amd, i7 920 - amd FX-8350