Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Rig for 6 displays, upcoming build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rig for 6 displays, upcoming build. - Page 2

post #11 of 29
no ok i use minecraft with a 512 texture pack, this is what i say to do, get a i5 3570k with a closed loop liquid cooler like the corsair H series, 8gb of ram, and a gtx570, it out preformes the 660ti by quite a bit and its cheaper in some cases. also build your own!
EDIT: agreed, windows 8 sucks donky balls, get windows 7
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 29
This will blow it out of the water




Please for the love of god don't buy prebuilt.
Silky Smooth.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 @ 4.02 GHZ @ 1.4v Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Dont Have One 4 GB OCZ Black @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB LiteON iHAS124B Windows 7 AOC e2795Vh MVA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K260 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Sharkoon T9 Logitech M210 
  hide details  
Reply
Silky Smooth.
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 @ 4.02 GHZ @ 1.4v Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H Dont Have One 4 GB OCZ Black @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 500GB LiteON iHAS124B Windows 7 AOC e2795Vh MVA 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K260 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Sharkoon T9 Logitech M210 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga69 View Post

no ok i use minecraft with a 512 texture pack, this is what i say to do, get a i5 3570k with a closed loop liquid cooler like the corsair H series, 8gb of ram, and a gtx570, it out preformes the 660ti by quite a bit and its cheaper in some cases. also build your own!
EDIT: agreed, windows 8 sucks donky balls, get windows 7
Imma break down this post:
1)Why on earth would I need a liquid cooling system? I want this build on a budget, I'll stick with the stock cooler thanks.
2)8GB of ram?! no! I know people say not to use more than 8GB but to be honest I would want 16GB to run minecraft from ramdisk.
3)GTX 570!? Are you serious? No. It is a last gen card and certainly does NOT outperform the 660ti. Especially with the overclocks you can get outta a 660ti.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Just to clarify, I am no average PC user.
I am running triple monitors at 1680x1050, and am looking to get 3 more to go above.
I also run countless programs at once while at my desk or afk.
These programs consist of:
xchat
Teamspeak3
Steam
Firefox, with 20+ tabs open
Fraps (incase i ever need to hit record in a game)
Skype
Windows Live messenger
Windows media center (TV stick recording)
Remote desktop (to file servers in my house)
Sticky notes

Among many others, I can think of the names of other things off the top of my head, as I'm on my macbook atm, and am not at home.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoneda View Post

Imma break down this post:
1)Why on earth would I need a liquid cooling system? I want this build on a budget, I'll stick with the stock cooler thanks.
2)8GB of ram?! no! I know people say not to use more than 8GB but to be honest I would want 16GB to run minecraft from ramdisk.
3)GTX 570!? Are you serious? No. It is a last gen card and certainly does NOT outperform the 660ti. Especially with the overclocks you can get outta a 660ti.

The stock cooler is known not to handle itself on stock gaming, also you ahn get a H55 for $60,
you cant really run it from ramdisk, the real files your dealing with are in the %appdata% folder and its not going to work if you start moving it around.
No the 570 does not out preform the 660TI, but it does out preform the 660 by allot which is what i thought you were getting, but it is alot cheaper and you could just get 3-4 of them pretty cheaply and run sli for a fraction of the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoneda View Post

Just to clarify, I am no average PC user.
I am running triple monitors at 1680x1050, and am looking to get 3 more to go above.
I also run countless programs at once while at my desk or afk.
These programs consist of:
xchat
Teamspeak3
Steam
Firefox, with 20+ tabs open
Fraps (incase i ever need to hit record in a game)
Skype
Windows Live messenger
Windows media center (TV stick recording)
Remote desktop (to file servers in my house)
Sticky notes

Among many others, I can think of the names of other things off the top of my head, as I'm on my macbook atm, and am not at home.

Ok this would call for 16Gb but you didn't mention it before.
With up to 6 monitors at that resolution, how many cards do you want to run in sli?because vram is going to be an issue that we need to get all hammered out.

EDIT: your also going to need a much better psu.
Edit: went on a psu calc quick, your going to need a 900w psu for 3way sli 570's, 1200w for 4way 570's, 750w for 3way sli 660 ti's, 850w for 4way sli 660 ti's
LInk
Edited by jktmas - 2/17/13 at 10:01am
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga69 View Post

The stock cooler is known not to handle itself on stock gaming, also you ahn get a H55 for $60,
you cant really run it from ramdisk, the real files your dealing with are in the %appdata% folder and its not going to work if you start moving it around.
No the 570 does not out preform the 660TI, but it does out preform the 660 by allot which is what i thought you were getting, but it is alot cheaper and you could just get 3-4 of them pretty cheaply and run sli for a fraction of the cost.
Ok this would call for 16Gb but you didn't mention it before.
With up to 6 monitors at that resolution, how many cards do you want to run in sli?because vram is going to be an issue that we need to get all hammered out.

EDIT: your also going to need a much better psu.
Edit: went on a psu calc quick, your going to need a 900w psu for 3way sli 570's, 1200w for 4way 570's, 750w for 3way sli 660 ti's, 850w for 4way sli 660 ti's
LInk

I already have a pretty good noctua air cooler that I like. So I'll use that thanks.
You did say 660ti in your original post, but nevermind wink.gif I understand about the last gen cards being a good option now.
I feel that vram wont be TOO much of an issue, as I will only ever game on the bottom three displays, and not on all 6, as I don't like having a bar through the middle.
However, when I do game, which is mostly minecraft, I usually only use my center display, and I don't think that will change. However with a new rig there could be alot more eyefinity gaming with the likes of BF3, BF4, Crysis2, and Crysis3.
I have the power situation all worked out, I'm definitely going to go for the NZXT Hale90 V2 Series, probably with the 850w / 1Kw version.
I usually tend to go to the AMD side of video cards, as that's what I've always had good experience with and thats what I like.
The video card situation seems to be easily remedied by a Radeon HD 6990 Eyefinity 6 edition. OR a pair of 6970's. I like the latter best wink.gif
Ramdisk: Thinking about it I would be good with either maybe even 24 OR 32GB of ram, as I often record games, and am finding myself using the computer while rendering, and Yes, I know about the whole minecraft and ramdisk thing, as that is what I'm currently doing on the rig that I have at the moment.
post #17 of 29
I think that EVGA supernova psu's could be a better solution for you
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930K ROG Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming 8G Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB Kit (4x8 GB) 1600MH... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB corsair H100I GTX Corsair ML PRO LED (x4) Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VG248QE Seiki 39" 4k Corsair K70 MX Red KingWin LZP 1000w platinum 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Corsair M65 RGB preixx DX-1000XXL Logitech Z506 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G230 White Leds Microsoft XBOX one Controller Mellanox Connectx-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoneda View Post

Just to clarify, I am no average PC user.
I am running triple monitors at 1680x1050, and am looking to get 3 more to go above.
I also run countless programs at once while at my desk or afk.
These programs consist of:
xchat
Teamspeak3
Steam
Firefox, with 20+ tabs open
Fraps (incase i ever need to hit record in a game)
Skype
Windows Live messenger
Windows media center (TV stick recording)
Remote desktop (to file servers in my house)
Sticky notes

Among many others, I can think of the names of other things off the top of my head, as I'm on my macbook atm, and am not at home.

ALL OF THOSE AT ONCE!?!

You are going to want 16+ GB if you have all of those open at the same time, (no clue why you would though). Sticky notes takes up probably less then a megabyte of RAM though, so in the future, it can be neglected.

A 660Ti crushes a 570 in all respects except overclocking. Trust me on this one. I tried out both and ran 5 benchmarks 10 times on each of them and went with a 660Ti.

WOO! NOCTUA! You know what you're doing with that one! thumb.gif

Six monitors? You crazy, boy? You are an excellent candidate for quad SLI 4GB 680s. Seriously, try nVidia, you'll love it. You need a ton of processing power to push out 1680*2160. Wait, what? Three monitors in a row and you only get 1680 horizontal?

You need to take some time and figure out how resource intensive those programs actually are. The ones that will really kill you if running at the same time as Minecraft are going to be Steam, Firefox, Skype, and FRAPS, as well as remote desktop.

Thanks for taking the time to read my reply, please consider everything I said and ask any other questions you have. The community is here to help!
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardXpert View Post

ALL OF THOSE AT ONCE!?!

You are going to want 16+ GB if you have all of those open at the same time, (no clue why you would though). Sticky notes takes up probably less then a megabyte of RAM though, so in the future, it can be neglected.

A 660Ti crushes a 570 in all respects except overclocking. Trust me on this one. I tried out both and ran 5 benchmarks 10 times on each of them and went with a 660Ti.

WOO! NOCTUA! You know what you're doing with that one! thumb.gif

Six monitors? You crazy, boy? You are an excellent candidate for quad SLI 4GB 680s. Seriously, try nVidia, you'll love it. You need a ton of processing power to push out 1680*2160. Wait, what? Three monitors in a row and you only get 1680 horizontal?

You need to take some time and figure out how resource intensive those programs actually are. The ones that will really kill you if running at the same time as Minecraft are going to be Steam, Firefox, Skype, and FRAPS, as well as remote desktop.

Thanks for taking the time to read my reply, please consider everything I said and ask any other questions you have. The community is here to help!

Thanks, also, dont forget to throw itunes and task manager into the mix aswell :/
Each of my monitors is 1680x1050, they are apple cinema display 20" and they are the aluminium versions. I like them for their matte screens, as they dont wash out the colors like so many other panels.
So, as I said before, when I game, I will only use the bottom three displays, not all 6 as I dont want to be looking at the bezels running through the middle.
Therefore I am not really a candidate for quad 4GB 680's, as that would have costed me a fortune, and I dont have that kind of money, hence why I am looking now at last gen cards.
I especially like the 6990 Eyefinity 6 edition as it literally has 6 mini displayport outputs.

As you said, you seem a bit dazzled by all the things I have open at the same time, this is because with my display setup that I've got open at the moment, which is only 3 displays, (lol only), I like to have everything to hand, and I like to see everything at once. Especially whats going on, on my steam, on my minecraft servers, loads of irc chat rooms.
In the future I will neglect Sticky notes.
However itunes can be a hog when watching videos, also, I watch alot of netflix when im doing anything, and from what I've seen, that uses quite some resources aswell.
Thank you alot for your help!
Do you think going with the X58 platform would be a decent plan? As I can get the boards at reasonable prices on ebay, and the 6 core chips too. And the extra dimms are a plus.
If I'm totally nuts I could go for an LGA2011 build, and use 8 dimms?! But from what I've seen those boards are pricey.
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga69 View Post

I think that EVGA supernova psu's could be a better solution for you

Sorry but I disagree, as they are (1600w?) and I no way need that Kind of power for a 6990 or two 6970's, and newer ivy i7's really dont consume that much power.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Rig for 6 displays, upcoming build.