Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Building a WC rig need some advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a WC rig need some advice

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
As I have said in previous thread, I'm new to WC, and I had bought a really cheap TT silent water to see if I liked what liquid cooling did for me. After seeing a 20C drop in my temps. I was impressed, and hooked to say the least. Alot of the replies i got from my last thread informed me that TT water stuff is crap. So I have decided to replace the it with a much more complicated system. I have a few questions, but I also have the Water Cooling Guide thread in my favs. I'm going to outline what i had in mind. My goal is to OC an INTEL E6700 over 4ghz. Tell me what you think.

I really hate the TT waterblock, and I read that Danger Den makes the best, so I was thinking about getting a TDX.

I wanted to get a powerful, but quiet pump, because I want to cool a lot of things, but I want to keep things simple and only have one pump so I want to get a D5. I can't find any info on them about noise, so if anybody knows, how many DB @ 4800rpm? Also is this one pump enough to cool my cpu, 4 hd's, maybe my Chipset, an maybe, but probably not, 2 x1950xtx's.

For my RAID array, I want 2 Koolance HD-55's. One cooler for two HD's. I thought that would be more efficiant, and save space.

I'm not sure if I need a chipset cooleror not. I have an ASUS p5w dh deluxe, and it has a solid copper sink with a heatpipe and a fan.

The ram is the Corsair with the LED displays on em, so I can't see how that would work with a Waterblock.

I know we have established that TT is crap, but I really want to get the
TT M6 aquabay res with the temp sensor, and LCD display. the only thing similar is the Koolance RP-1000BK 1kW Reservoir & Pump. The pump is supposed to be as powerful as the D5, but even Koolance admits that it is loud. I really just want the electronics, and i like the idea of havin my res in a drivebay.

last but certainly not least. Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X Flow.
I want to mount it outside on the back of my tower using a 120mm fan as a spacer, or a fan and a shroud for a 120 fan if I need more space.

All your feedback is greatly appeciated. Thank you. One more question, and this might be a noob question. Could you run all of that stuff in a single loop?
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 28
easy, Get the D5 pump, a Apogee waterblock, and 2 SLI Maze4 gpu blocks, the drive bay res and the Black Ice GT 390 rad. This will be your best setup and the most bang for your buck IMO.

Anything else in your loop will cause a lot of restriction and ISN'T worth the money to do. Your chip set, hard drives, and ram can all be cooler really well its a little air flow from your case fans.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E6600 Week 28A Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTX 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 250gb Seagate 7200.10 (RAID 0) + 250gb backup DVD-RW Window XP Acer AL2216W 22" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Lian Li PC-V1200B Plus II Modded Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
FUNC 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E6600 Week 28A Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTX 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 250gb Seagate 7200.10 (RAID 0) + 250gb backup DVD-RW Window XP Acer AL2216W 22" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Lian Li PC-V1200B Plus II Modded Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
FUNC 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHP_HAWK View Post
As I have said in previous thread, I'm new to WC, and I had bought a really cheap TT silent water to see if I liked what liquid cooling did for me. After seeing a 20C drop in my temps. I was impressed, and hooked to say the least. Alot of the replies i got from my last thread informed me that TT water stuff is crap. So I have decided to replace the it with a much more complicated system. I have a few questions, but I also have the Water Cooling Guide thread in my favs. I'm going to outline what i had in mind. My goal is to OC an INTEL E6700 over 4ghz. Tell me what you think.

I really hate the TT waterblock, and I read that Danger Den makes the best, so I was thinking about getting a TDX.

I wanted to get a powerful, but quiet pump, because I want to cool a lot of things, but I want to keep things simple and only have one pump so I want to get a D5. I can't find any info on them about noise, so if anybody knows, how many DB @ 4800rpm? Also is this one pump enough to cool my cpu, 4 hd's, maybe my Chipset, an maybe, but probably not, 2 x1950xtx's.

For my RAID array, I want 2 Koolance HD-55's. One cooler for two HD's. I thought that would be more efficiant, and save space.

I'm not sure if I need a chipset cooleror not. I have an ASUS p5w dh deluxe, and it has a solid copper sink with a heatpipe and a fan.

The ram is the Corsair with the LED displays on em, so I can't see how that would work with a Waterblock.

I know we have established that TT is crap, but I really want to get the
TT M6 aquabay res with the temp sensor, and LCD display. the only thing similar is the Koolance RP-1000BK 1kW Reservoir & Pump. The pump is supposed to be as powerful as the D5, but even Koolance admits that it is loud. I really just want the electronics, and i like the idea of havin my res in a drivebay.

last but certainly not least. Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X Flow.
I want to mount it outside on the back of my tower using a 120mm fan as a spacer, or a fan and a shroud for a 120 fan if I need more space.

All your feedback is greatly appeciated. Thank you. One more question, and this might be a noob question. Could you run all of that stuff in a single loop?

WOW, Where to start..... If you want to max your CPU I would only WC that...You really don't need to WC NB and hard drives...Just put some good air on them...If you really want to WC the HD's I would put it in a seperate loop....OK I'm going to set you up a good CPU rig, we'll worry about the other stuff later...BTW I missed the last part of your other thread some how or we would of talked about this sooner....
RES....That T-Take res is restrictive no good try one of these or a T-Line..Danger Den :: Reservoirs :: Bay Style Reservoirs :: Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
CPU Block...fstfrddy here on the Forum makes the V-6 water block I would go with it for a maxed out loop.............Stinger WB

Rad....This is one of the best right now.........Danger Den :: Radiators :: Black Ice Series :: GTX Xtreme Series :: Black Ice GTX240

Pump...Go with the Laing D5...It's not really that loud and you will need it.........Danger Den :: Pumps :: Danger Den DDC-12V

Tubing...Use this with 1/2" fittings, it flows about as well as 1/2" and is easier to route around in your case...........Danger Den :: Tubing :: Tubing and Clamps :: 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing

Rad- Box ...To hang your rad on the back of your case.......Swiftech MCB-120 Black 120mm Radbox Kit

Clamps...Automotive worm clamps are good just don't over tighten them..

Fluid....I use Fluid XP there are probably better and cheaper I just like it...It also comes in other colors...EDIT: You beat me atomic...........Fluid XP EXT Extreme Non-Conductive Coolant - UV Midnight Blue 32oz.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I emailed fstfrddy, and I am gonna get the danger den resevoir. I still want some sort of electronics package that can give me at the very least temperature info on the front of my tower. Tell me why the gtx240 is better than the gts360. once I'm ready to assemble the thing, I'll post and ask how best to set up the loop. thanks again.
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHP_HAWK View Post
I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I emailed fstfrddy, and I am gonna get the danger den resevoir. I still want some sort of electronics package that can give me at the very least temperature info on the front of my tower. Tell me why the gtx240 is better than the gts360. once I'm ready to assemble the thing, I'll post and ask how best to set up the loop. thanks again.
It very simply put is capable of dissapating more heat with a little larger cfm fan then the GTS...Either would be fine though, the 360 is probably close to the same heat dissapation anyway...

Alphacool makes a G-1/4 screw in temp gauge..I just got one and am going to T it into my loop with a Compu-Nurse digi read out I will let you know in a week or so how it works...You did well going with a Stinger block, your going to love it...
Let me look around some for a user friendly electronics for you also...On second thought what I'm doing might be a pain in the neck for you...Feel free to ask any questions you may have we are glad to help if we are able...You will love WC once you get your feet wet...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 28
if you can't get a stinger block go with an apogee, it's slightly better then the TDX. the rad and pump suggestions are good ones to stick with. for gpu you can get either maze 4 or maze 5 blocks. I'd stay away from hdd and chipset wc unless you're going to make a second loop.
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
I found this, I have no experience with it at all, but it looks kind of interesting. You may want to try researching it some.....Alphacool T-Balancer bigNG Products Model: 89002 [89002] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Wow is all I can say. That is one serious piece of equipment. Cool site too. If you could get all that info to read out on and LCD on the front of the tower, that would be awesome. I'm actually wondering if the ASETEK LCD will work without any of there other hardware.
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Betty Nugs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Conroe E6700 2.66ghz lapped Asus P5W DH Deluxe Sapphire x1950xtx Crossfire edition Patriot 2x2GB PC2 6400/ G.Skill 1gb PC2 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID 0 SONY DVD RW DRU-720A Windows 7 Pro x64 VIEWSONIC VX924 19'' 3ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Elite/ G-15 XION SUPERNOVA 600W modular TT Armor modded-still modding Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHP_HAWK View Post
Wow is all I can say. That is one serious piece of equipment. Cool site too. If you could get all that info to read out on and LCD on the front of the tower, that would be awesome. I'm actually wondering if the ASETEK LCD will work without any of there other hardware.

Thats a good question Buddy....I've never used their stuff before....Yeah that place has a lot of good stuff there, kinda high prices on some of it....I'm going to try and PM a guy here for you, he has experience with the German stuff may-be he could tell you more about it......
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
Thats a good question Buddy....I've never used their stuff before....Yeah that place has a lot of good stuff there, kinda high prices on some of it....I'm going to try and PM a guy here for you, he has experience with the German stuff may-be he could tell you more about it......
Performance-PC's prices are a little higher, but they are worth it. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. They ship out fast and their sleeving jobs are quality. I'd rather pay more and get what I want quickly, rather than save a few bucks and end up with a fiasco. Just thought I should toss that out there.

EDIT SHP HAWK, you live in Puyallup? I work at the John L Scott on main street on the way to Sumner & I live in North Tacoma. Small world...lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z ASUS GTX 770 2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 QNIX QX 2710 Filco Majestouch-2 Rosewill Capstone-750-M R 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Logitech MX518 Black Banshee Pad Krator N2-20020 (Garbage) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z ASUS GTX 770 2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 QNIX QX 2710 Filco Majestouch-2 Rosewill Capstone-750-M R 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Logitech MX518 Black Banshee Pad Krator N2-20020 (Garbage) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Building a WC rig need some advice