Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Keyboard Suggestion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Keyboard Suggestion Thread - Page 115

post #1141 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvi View Post

Location: UK
Any keyboards you currently have in mind: Poker 2, Corsair K65
Price: 70-100gbp
Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): Yes, green.
Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): 60%, TKL
Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): games, typing (alot of translating work)
USB/ PS2: Both can be, if i get usb ill just get usb->ps2 adapter and carry on.
KRO: 6 and higher
Macro keys (yes/ no): They can be but i never use them
Media keys (yes/ no): what do you mean by media keys? like open wmp etc? then no.
Layout (US/ ANSI, etc): UK
Switch type (if not known complete the questions below):
*Noise level (high/low): dont mind if it's loud, 70% of time i wear headset
*Tactility (yes/ no): i dont really fancy too flat keys, i got some rubber cheapo now with abit higher keys, had laptop for years and got used to them but after getting that cheapo with bit higher keys it feels much better, so No to flat keys.
*Stiffness (high/ low): i need something in between dont like too light keys but too heavy ones will not be good also.


I'am mostly thinking about pokers as they are able to get in all MX types for same price and wanted to just get mx red ones as most of people have them but after reading mechanical keyboard tutorial section now i dont know which one should i get. I sometimes bash keys really hard (not due tension, just sometimes got really hard push on my fingers) so too light switches will get damaged over time (currently im bashing my kb keys as strong that my screen is shaking, it's just the way i type q.q)

Sounds like some MX Greens or MX Clears would be for you, although I can't find a Poker II that has those switches so MX Blues might be your next best bet with this Vortex Poker II.
Psychosis
(20 items)
 
FamilyHTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 ASUS X79-DELUXE EVGA GTX 980 Classified EVGA GTX 980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Cooler Master Nepton 240mm Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ASUS VE248H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell IN2020M WASD CODE MX Clears BeQuiet PowerZone 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700s $3 Walmart thing Logitech S120 + subwoofer Kingston HyperX Cloud II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i3 3570K ASUS Z77-A MSI GTX 970 EVGA GTX 950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ares 4x4GB 1600MHz Orange SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB [OS] Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX) [... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair SP120 HP dual pack 4xCorsair AF120 QE Windows 7 Pro 64bit 55" LG 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TeamViewer Microsoft Keyboard 800 Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
Mouse
Microsoft Mouse 1000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X3440 Asus P7H55-M DP MSI GTX 770 Lightning 4GB 1333MHz ASint Technology 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB Cooler Master TX3 Enough fans to keep it cool Currently Windows 7 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Soon to be Ubuntu 14.04 LTS again Dell IN2020M Teamviewer/Generic Bitfenix Fury 650G 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Arc Mini Teamviewer/Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Psychosis
(20 items)
 
FamilyHTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 ASUS X79-DELUXE EVGA GTX 980 Classified EVGA GTX 980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Cooler Master Nepton 240mm Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ASUS VE248H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell IN2020M WASD CODE MX Clears BeQuiet PowerZone 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700s $3 Walmart thing Logitech S120 + subwoofer Kingston HyperX Cloud II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i3 3570K ASUS Z77-A MSI GTX 970 EVGA GTX 950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ares 4x4GB 1600MHz Orange SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB [OS] Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX) [... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair SP120 HP dual pack 4xCorsair AF120 QE Windows 7 Pro 64bit 55" LG 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TeamViewer Microsoft Keyboard 800 Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
Mouse
Microsoft Mouse 1000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X3440 Asus P7H55-M DP MSI GTX 770 Lightning 4GB 1333MHz ASint Technology 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB Cooler Master TX3 Enough fans to keep it cool Currently Windows 7 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Soon to be Ubuntu 14.04 LTS again Dell IN2020M Teamviewer/Generic Bitfenix Fury 650G 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Arc Mini Teamviewer/Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1142 of 2353
yeah, pokers only come in red black blue's and browns.
post #1143 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

yeah, pretty much every included wrist rest is just a cheap plastic snap on so they can market it as "look at all the extras that we have that the more expensive ones don't"

someone should make a poll about keyboard preferences, wrist wrest, tkl, full size, feet up, down, etc. Would be interesting to see.

Personally, I find this depends on the board I'm using. With my nighthawk, I really like the wrist rest, and I have a lot of trouble typing without the feet up. With my QFR, it's the complete opposite. Feet up is the only way to go, and wrist rests make me feel like I need to have my hand up too high to avoid resting my palm on the rest while I type.
post #1144 of 2353
  • Location: Slovenia, Europe
  • If not in the US or UK, links to stores in your country: all European amazons are okay, as long as they deliver to Slovenia, I can do with delivery to UK or Austria too (I have people who can forward it to me, in this case I'd prefer UK)
    Also http://www.mimovrste.com/miske-in-tipkovnices
    http://www.nakupovanje.net/izdelki/racunalnistvo/zunanje-naprave-in-periferija/tipkovnice
    http://www.comshop.si/shop/RaCunalniStvo/Tipkovnice_in_miSke
    but Slovene stores mostly only sell Logitech, Canyon and Razer. There are some (rare) exceptions though.
  • Any keyboards you currently have in mind: Das Keyboard v4, I have logitech wave now, and I really like the cushion (nice and soft) and the curve
  • Price: up to 180€ incl. shipping (that's how much I can get Das v4 for, around 140€ would be the best)
  • Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): I don't mind, but not a necassity. Blue or white color. Or pastel purple/pink. Something soft. No razer green. No intense red either.
  • Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): full size
  • Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): programming and typing mostly, some gaming, but nothing serious. I play games like Crysis, Hitman, GTA and racing (with a controller). I don't need rapid fire, and I don't play Starcraft or anything similar.
  • USB/ PS2: Can do both, but USB preferred.
  • KRO: as long as it's at least 3 for ALL keys (now I have some issue with left and space or something around that part)
  • Macro keys (yes/ no): no need, unless they can launch applications (winamp, calculator, photos folder)
  • Media keys (yes/ no): yes yes! the more the merrier. Look at Logitech Wave media keys for reference, I use more then half of them regularly (I don't use FN keys though, I prefer them being separate)
  • Layout (US/ ANSI, etc): I can do German, but would love Slovenian. As close to Slovenian as possible. The enter needs to be tall, not wide.
  • Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): I think I want the brown ones, but I can't really test them anywhere.
  • *Noise level (high/low): low, but the current one is way louder then the laptop already, and I don't mind that. As long as it won't drive people around me insane and wake up kids in the other room.
  • *Tactility (yes/ no): yes, i guess, it rubber dome tactile? I don't really know the difference
  • *Stiffness (high/ low): low, I don't want to body build my fingers (which I am now)

I also like the USB3.0 ports on Das v4, but it's not a dealbreaker if not present. I'd love a cushion, but only if it's soft (like wave) and not just a slab of hard plastic. I suppose I can get a cushion separately.
I really like my Wave, but the keys are getting stuck a little, and it's getting kinda hard to type sometimes. It'd mostly fluid, but then sometimes the key hits the plastic border and doesn't press, and I'm already on the next one and I make a mistake. It's somewhat annoying, obviously.

Thanks for helping, it's not a simple decision because 1) it's expensive, 2) I'll probably be getting it from another country so returns are slightly inconvenient and 3) I don't want to give away my Wave, but I want it to type nicer.
Edited by issak - 4/8/14 at 9:44am
post #1145 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

  • Location: Slovenia, Europe
  • If not in the US or UK, links to stores in your country: all European amazons are okay, as long as they deliver to Slovenia, I can do with delivery to UK or Austria too (I have people who can forward it to me, in this case I'd prefer UK)
    Also http://www.mimovrste.com/miske-in-tipkovnices
    http://www.nakupovanje.net/izdelki/racunalnistvo/zunanje-naprave-in-periferija/tipkovnice
    http://www.comshop.si/shop/RaCunalniStvo/Tipkovnice_in_miSke
    but Slovene stores mostly only sell Logitech, Canyon and Razer. There are some (rare) exceptions though.
  • Any keyboards you currently have in mind: Das Keyboard v4, I have logitech wave now, and I really like the cushion (nice and soft) and the curve
  • Price: up to 180€ incl. shipping (that's how much I can get Das v4 for, around 140€ would be the best)
  • Backlighting (yes (colour?)/ no ): I don't mind, but not a necassity. Blue or white color. Or pastel purple/pink. Something soft. No razer green. No intense red either.
  • Size (60%, TKL, full size etc): full size
  • Use (games/ programming/ typing etc): programming and typing mostly, some gaming, but nothing serious. I play games like Crysis, Hitman, GTA and racing (with a controller). I don't need rapid fire, and I don't play Starcraft or anything similar.
  • USB/ PS2: Can do both, but USB preferred.
  • KRO: as long as it's at least 3 for ALL keys (now I have some issue with left and space or something around that part)
  • Macro keys (yes/ no): no need, unless they can launch applications (winamp, calculator, photos folder)
  • Media keys (yes/ no): yes yes! the more the merrier. Look at Logitech Wave media keys for reference, I use more then half of them regularly (I don't use FN keys though, I prefer them being separate)
  • Layout (US/ ANSI, etc): I can do German, but would love Slovenian. As close to Slovenian as possible. The enter needs to be tall, not wide.
  • Switch type (if not known complete the questions below): I think I want the brown ones, but I can't really test them anywhere.
  • *Noise level (high/low): low, but the current one is way louder then the laptop already, and I don't mind that. As long as it won't drive people around me insane and wake up kids in the other room.
  • *Tactility (yes/ no): yes, i guess, it rubber dome tactile? I don't really know the difference
  • *Stiffness (high/ low): low, I don't want to body build my fingers (which I am now)

I also like the USB3.0 ports on Das v4, but it's not a dealbreaker if not present. I'd love a cushion, but only if it's soft (like wave) and not just a slab of hard plastic. I suppose I can get a cushion separately.
I really like my Wave, but the keys are getting stuck a little, and it's getting kinda hard to type sometimes. It'd mostly fluid, but then sometimes the key hits the plastic border and doesn't press, and I'm already on the next one and I make a mistake. It's somewhat annoying, obviously.

Thanks for helping, it's not a simple decision because 1) it's expensive, 2) I'll probably be getting it from another country so returns are slightly inconvenient and 3) I don't want to give away my Wave, but I want it to type nicer.

You could consider a CM Storm Trigger-Z, the wrist rest is detachable also.
post #1146 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

You could consider a CM Storm Trigger-Z, the wrist rest is detachable also.

Is the wrist rest soft or just hard plastic? Oh, it's rubber coated, I guess that works. I can't find the right layout though. I want the tall enter and short left shift with an extra key between y and shift (< > key on slovene)

I don't like how multimedia keys are only accessible trough Fn key. I want extra buttons, there's plenty of space on the desk, it's not a laptop keyboard that would need to save space.
Edited by issak - 4/8/14 at 11:29am
post #1147 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

You could consider a CM Storm Trigger-Z, the wrist rest is detachable also.

Is the wrist rest soft or just hard plastic? Oh, it's rubber coated, I guess that works. I can't find the right layout though. I want the tall enter and short left shift with an extra key between y and shift (< > key on slovene)

I don't like how multimedia keys are only accessible trough Fn key. I want extra buttons, there's plenty of space on the desk, it's not a laptop keyboard that would need to save space.

It gives you the option to choose the UK layout which is the same as the Slovenian layout but with different printing on the keycaps, I'm not aware of any mechanical keyboard with Slovenian characters on the keycaps, you'd have to buy a custom set for that.

You could consider the Corsair K70 (has the large enter key and short left shift despite the pictures), other than that there's not a great deal of choice, a lot of the boards I can think of fail one or more of the criteria, e.g.

  • Corsair K95 - White backlighting, but only available with MX Reds
  • Logitech G710+ - Can't find stock with a UK layout
post #1148 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

It gives you the option to choose the UK layout which is the same as the Slovenian layout but with different printing on the keycaps, I'm not aware of any mechanical keyboard with Slovenian characters on the keycaps, you'd have to buy a custom set for that.

You could consider the Corsair K70 (has the large enter key and short left shift despite the pictures), other than that there's not a great deal of choice, a lot of the boards I can think of fail one or more of the criteria, e.g.

  • Corsair K95 - White backlighting, but only available with MX Reds
  • Logitech G710+ - Can't find stock with a UK layout

I'd prefer German layout, it's closer (the print is more similar to Slovene). I'm not so sure about CM storm trigger-z, but the K70 looks great biggrin.gif If only they had black one with blue LEDs. It's definitely going on the list.

I don't like looks of G710+, it's ugly. I like orange, but not on this keyboard. It's also more plasticy isn't it? I do like the backlight on it though. I can get g710+ in a local shop, I'll see what kind of layout they have.
K95 has extra G keys on the left, that I don't really need at all, I'd rather save money in this case, or is there any other difference?
So no Das Keyboard? biggrin.gif

Are brown switches the right choice? Reds are supposed to be super fast from what I've read? Unfortunately, I have no where to test them frown.gif
Edited by issak - 4/8/14 at 1:29pm
post #1149 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

I'd prefer German layout, it's closer (the print is more similar to Slovene). I'm not so sure about CM storm trigger-z, but the K70 looks great biggrin.gif If only they had black one with blue LEDs. It's definitely going on the list.

I don't like looks of G710+, it's ugly. I like orange, but not on this keyboard. It's also more plasticy isn't it? I do like the backlight on it though. I can get g710+ in a local shop, I'll see what kind of layout they have.
K95 has extra G keys on the left, that I don't really need at all, I'd rather save money in this case, or is there any other difference?
So no Das Keyboard? biggrin.gif

Are brown switches the right choice? Reds are supposed to be super fast from what I've read? Unfortunately, I have no where to test them frown.gif

I know Corsair makes boards with a German layout, but it's hard to find them.

With the K70, it's worth noting there have been some issues with backlighting or a wobbly board reported, but I wouldn't say it's a big enough of an issue to warrant avoiding it. The K70 also has a non-stanard bottom row layout, which means getting aftermarket keycaps for it later on will prove more difficult, although it's a backlight board so you might choose not get new keycaps for it at all.

For the G710+, you can remove the orange part with a bit of work and spray paint it a different colour, there is a guide for it on here if that would appeal to you. In terms of whether or not it's "plasticy" or not, it'll obviously feel more like plastic than the K70 because it doesn't have an aluminium faceplate, that being said I wouldn't expect it to be cheap feeling, you'd have to consult reviews of it to get a more informed opinion though as I haven't personally used it.

As for the K95, the main reason why I suggested it was the media keys and the white backlighting, I'm not sure it really offers anything more that you'd be interested in over the K70.

As for the Das Keyboard 4, I haven't heard enough about it to recommend it yet.

For the switch type, I can't tell you which you'll prefer, what I can tell you is that MX Reds are often avoided because the low actuation force leads to an increase in typing errors for some people. Also the tactile bump on MX Browns is very small, so small in fact that I'd argue that they are like MX Reds with less chance of typing errors (the tactility helps somewhat reduce the accidental actuation of switches). It's all personal preference.
post #1150 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

It gives you the option to choose the UK layout which is the same as the Slovenian layout but with different printing on the keycaps, I'm not aware of any mechanical keyboard with Slovenian characters on the keycaps, you'd have to buy a custom set for that.

You could consider the Corsair K70 (has the large enter key and short left shift despite the pictures), other than that there's not a great deal of choice, a lot of the boards I can think of fail one or more of the criteria, e.g.

  • Corsair K95 - White backlighting, but only available with MX Reds
  • Logitech G710+ - Can't find stock with a UK layout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

I know Corsair makes boards with a German layout, but it's hard to find them.

With the K70, it's worth noting there have been some issues with backlighting or a wobbly board reported, but I wouldn't say it's a big enough of an issue to warrant avoiding it. The K70 also has a non-stanard bottom row layout, which means getting aftermarket keycaps for it later on will prove more difficult, although it's a backlight board so you might choose not get new keycaps for it at all.

For the G710+, you can remove the orange part with a bit of work and spray paint it a different colour, there is a guide for it on here if that would appeal to you. In terms of whether or not it's "plasticy" or not, it'll obviously feel more like plastic than the K70 because it doesn't have an aluminium faceplate, that being said I wouldn't expect it to be cheap feeling, you'd have to consult reviews of it to get a more informed opinion though as I haven't personally used it.

As for the K95, the main reason why I suggested it was the media keys and the white backlighting, I'm not sure it really offers anything more that you'd be interested in over the K70.

As for the Das Keyboard 4, I haven't heard enough about it to recommend it yet.

For the switch type, I can't tell you which you'll prefer, what I can tell you is that MX Reds are often avoided because the low actuation force leads to an increase in typing errors for some people. Also the tactile bump on MX Browns is very small, so small in fact that I'd argue that they are like MX Reds with less chance of typing errors (the tactility helps somewhat reduce the accidental actuation of switches). It's all personal preference.

Thanks for all the details biggrin.gif
I found the German K70 with reds for 130€ on amazon.de and with browns for... get this 255€! Are they crazy I don't know, but I'll look around some more. UK is not the worst either I guess. The problem is, that the image that's displayed is mostly always US layout, which is just confusing then. I'll look around some more, but I think K70 might work for me. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to anything, I've only really started doing research smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Keyboard Suggestion Thread