Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Keyboard Suggestion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Keyboard Suggestion Thread - Page 116

post #1151 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

Thanks for all the details biggrin.gif
I found the German K70 with reds for 130€ on amazon.de and with browns for... get this 255€! Are they crazy I don't know, but I'll look around some more. UK is not the worst either I guess. The problem is, that the image that's displayed is mostly always US layout, which is just confusing then. I'll look around some more, but I think K70 might work for me. If you have any other suggestions, I'm open to anything, I've only really started doing research smile.gif

If in doubt, just email the site about the product and see if they can tell you which layout it uses. smile.gif
post #1152 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman811 View Post

Sounds like some MX Greens or MX Clears would be for you, although I can't find a Poker II that has those switches so MX Blues might be your next best bet with this Vortex Poker II.

why there is no Del key there? will i be able to macro it under one of FN keys? And where are arrow keys? how am i meant to scroll pages etc with arrow keys? that's a no for me :/

what about this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2LLERA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

they got backlight + mx blues and they got all the necessary (arrow) keys
Edited by Torvi - 4/8/14 at 2:41pm
post #1153 of 2353
location: US
currently thinking possibly the vortex pure or cm storm quickfire tk.
Price: sub $150 preferably
backlighting: i think so. Mainly i just dont want keys to fade and it seems like keys start fading on any keyboard i get. If i can get a non led that doesn't fade, that would be fine. or an led with any color, i don't care.
size: either compact or TKL. i prefer compact but don't know where to buy any in the US.I also prefer TKL where they have the numpad and subtract the arrow keys instead of vice versa.
use: primarily gaming. my last keyboard was red cherry, and i intend to get another red cherry.
I have both usb and ps2 connector. So either is fine.
kro: N key preferably
media and macro keys aren't needed
US layout i guess.
Red Cherry switches
post #1154 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvi View Post

why there is no Del key there? will i be able to macro it under one of FN keys? And where are arrow keys? how am i meant to scroll pages etc with arrow keys? that's a no for me :/

what about this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2LLERA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

they got backlight + mx blues and they got all the necessary (arrow) keys

You said Poker so I found a Poker keyboard, as for if that one would work for you, it is all up to personal preference and it may work for you.
Psychosis
(20 items)
 
FamilyHTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 ASUS X79-DELUXE EVGA GTX 980 Classified EVGA GTX 980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Cooler Master Nepton 240mm Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ASUS VE248H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell IN2020M WASD CODE MX Clears BeQuiet PowerZone 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700s $3 Walmart thing Logitech S120 + subwoofer Kingston HyperX Cloud II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i3 3570K ASUS Z77-A MSI GTX 970 EVGA GTX 950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ares 4x4GB 1600MHz Orange SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB [OS] Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX) [... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair SP120 HP dual pack 4xCorsair AF120 QE Windows 7 Pro 64bit 55" LG 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TeamViewer Microsoft Keyboard 800 Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
Mouse
Microsoft Mouse 1000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X3440 Asus P7H55-M DP MSI GTX 770 Lightning 4GB 1333MHz ASint Technology 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB Cooler Master TX3 Enough fans to keep it cool Currently Windows 7 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Soon to be Ubuntu 14.04 LTS again Dell IN2020M Teamviewer/Generic Bitfenix Fury 650G 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Arc Mini Teamviewer/Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
Psychosis
(20 items)
 
FamilyHTPC
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 ASUS X79-DELUXE EVGA GTX 980 Classified EVGA GTX 980 Classified 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB Cooler Master Nepton 240mm Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ASUS VE248H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell IN2020M WASD CODE MX Clears BeQuiet PowerZone 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G700s $3 Walmart thing Logitech S120 + subwoofer Kingston HyperX Cloud II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i3 3570K ASUS Z77-A MSI GTX 970 EVGA GTX 950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ares 4x4GB 1600MHz Orange SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB [OS] Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX) [... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair SP120 HP dual pack 4xCorsair AF120 QE Windows 7 Pro 64bit 55" LG 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TeamViewer Microsoft Keyboard 800 Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Cooler Master HAF 932 
Mouse
Microsoft Mouse 1000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X3440 Asus P7H55-M DP MSI GTX 770 Lightning 4GB 1333MHz ASint Technology 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB Cooler Master TX3 Enough fans to keep it cool Currently Windows 7 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Soon to be Ubuntu 14.04 LTS again Dell IN2020M Teamviewer/Generic Bitfenix Fury 650G 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Arc Mini Teamviewer/Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1155 of 2353
basically it has all the keys we really needs for day to day use and still stays small, other than more keys i dont see differences between the small and bit bigger one.
post #1156 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavax View Post

location: US
currently thinking possibly the vortex pure or cm storm quickfire tk.
Price: sub $150 preferably
backlighting: i think so. Mainly i just dont want keys to fade and it seems like keys start fading on any keyboard i get. If i can get a non led that doesn't fade, that would be fine. or an led with any color, i don't care.
size: either compact or TKL. i prefer compact but don't know where to buy any in the US.I also prefer TKL where they have the numpad and subtract the arrow keys instead of vice versa.
use: primarily gaming. my last keyboard was red cherry, and i intend to get another red cherry.
I have both usb and ps2 connector. So either is fine.
kro: N key preferably
media and macro keys aren't needed
US layout i guess.
Red Cherry switches

Sounds like a Quickfire TK ( $100 ) and then use that left over cash to get yourself a set of PBT caps, they won't fade or shine as quick as cheaper ABS ones can.
post #1157 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

I know Corsair makes boards with a German layout, but it's hard to find them.

With the K70, it's worth noting there have been some issues with backlighting or a wobbly board reported, but I wouldn't say it's a big enough of an issue to warrant avoiding it. The K70 also has a non-stanard bottom row layout, which means getting aftermarket keycaps for it later on will prove more difficult, although it's a backlight board so you might choose not get new keycaps for it at all.

For the G710+, you can remove the orange part with a bit of work and spray paint it a different colour, there is a guide for it on here if that would appeal to you. In terms of whether or not it's "plasticy" or not, it'll obviously feel more like plastic than the K70 because it doesn't have an aluminium faceplate, that being said I wouldn't expect it to be cheap feeling, you'd have to consult reviews of it to get a more informed opinion though as I haven't personally used it.

As for the K95, the main reason why I suggested it was the media keys and the white backlighting, I'm not sure it really offers anything more that you'd be interested in over the K70.

As for the Das Keyboard 4, I haven't heard enough about it to recommend it yet.

For the switch type, I can't tell you which you'll prefer, what I can tell you is that MX Reds are often avoided because the low actuation force leads to an increase in typing errors for some people. Also the tactile bump on MX Browns is very small, so small in fact that I'd argue that they are like MX Reds with less chance of typing errors (the tactility helps somewhat reduce the accidental actuation of switches). It's all personal preference.

Okay so I went to the store and tried the G710+, and I found it less appealing then Razer Blackwidow (2014). If I understand correctly, Razer uses some custom switches that are similar to MX Red? Are red any good for typing? If reds are anything like Razer switches, I'm just getting the K70 with reds. As I said, I'm new to this, there is only so much you can you can imagine from 'linear, click, bump, feedack' in words. I like the feel of Blackwidow. There's no other keyboards in stores around here, razer and logitech are only ones I can test (and Cherry Stream XT), everything else is rubber.
So K70 MX Red for 50% typing, 45% programming and 5% gaming?
Thanks a bunch for replies.

Also, what switch is closest to rubber?
Edited by issak - 4/9/14 at 3:51am
post #1158 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

Okay so I went to the store and tried the G710+, and I found it less appealing then Razer Blackwidow (2014). If I understand correctly, Razer uses some custom switches that are similar to MX Red? Are red any good for typing? If reds are anything like Razer switches, I'm just getting the K70 with reds. As I said, I'm new to this, there is only so much you can you can imagine from 'linear, click, bump, feedack' in words. I like the feel of Blackwidow. There's no other keyboards in stores around here, razer and logitech are only ones I can test (and Cherry Stream XT), everything else is rubber.
So K70 MX Red for 50% typing, 45% programming and 5% gaming?
Thanks a bunch for replies.

Also, what switch is closest to rubber?

Razer are bringing out boards with their Razer branded (not necessarily Razer produced) switches, these switches are the Razer Orange and Razer Green.

They have these characteristics:

  • Razer Orange: Very similar to MX Brown, but with a higher actuation point and closer actuation/ reset points.
  • Razer Green: Very similar to MX Blue, but with a higher actuation point and closer actuation/ reset points.


Both are also labelled as lasting longer than comparable MX switches, but I'm not convinced on that yet.

I'm not sure which of these you may have tried out, I'd need more info.

MX Reds can be good at typing, but many people avoid them for long periods of typing because the low actuation force can lead to an increase in mistypes. Once again, it's all personal preference, you may love MX Reds for typing.

In terms of which MX switch is the closest to rubber dome, you could make various arguments for various switches. I've heard the argument many times that MX Browns with O-rings are very similar to rubber dome, I don't personally see the comparison myself. If you're considering switches outside of the MX varieties, then Topre switches are pretty similar to rubber dome given that they use a rubber cup, somewhat similar to rubber dome boards. Although it's worth noting that Topre switches are much smoother and don't feel as cheap as rubber dome boards.
post #1159 of 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

Razer are bringing out boards with their Razer branded (not necessarily Razer produced) switches, these switches are the Razer Orange and Razer Green.

They have these characteristics:

  • Razer Orange: Very similar to MX Brown, but with a higher actuation point and closer actuation/ reset points.
  • Razer Green: Very similar to MX Blue, but with a higher actuation point and closer actuation/ reset points.


Both are also labelled as lasting longer than comparable MX switches, but I'm not convinced on that yet.

I'm not sure which of these you may have tried out, I'd need more info.

MX Reds can be good at typing, but many people avoid them for long periods of typing because the low actuation force can lead to an increase in mistypes. Once again, it's all personal preference, you may love MX Reds for typing.

In terms of which MX switch is the closest to rubber dome, you could make various arguments for various switches. I've heard the argument many times that MX Browns with O-rings are very similar to rubber dome, I don't personally see the comparison myself. If you're considering switches outside of the MX varieties, then Topre switches are pretty similar to rubber dome given that they use a rubber cup, somewhat similar to rubber dome boards. Although it's worth noting that Topre switches are much smoother and don't feel as cheap as rubber dome boards.

I tried Razer Green, so that would be like MX Blue. No wonder people like them, they feel super nice. I read a little about Razer switches, they may be some Chinese knock-off, but it's still razer, I'm sure they have good quality control and everything. The Blackwidow doesn't really have any additional multimedia keys like K70 does, which is a shame. Other than that, it feels solid and well built, while Logitech feels too plastic for higher price (at least in the store I was checking it out).
I've read that there are new version of K70 being release as of yesterday with MX blue, brown and red switches, but that there's only going to be black version with red LED available. So I've read. I found the grey one (blue LED) with blue switches with DE layout, I just sent them an email asking if they'll deliver to Slovenia. Otherwise I think I'm too late to the party, I guess I'll either have to wait for the new version or find another keyboard.
post #1160 of 2353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by issak View Post

I tried Razer Green, so that would be like MX Blue. No wonder people like them, they feel super nice. I read a little about Razer switches, they may be some Chinese knock-off, but it's still razer, I'm sure they have good quality control and everything. The Blackwidow doesn't really have any additional multimedia keys like K70 does, which is a shame. Other than that, it feels solid and well built, while Logitech feels too plastic for higher price (at least in the store I was checking it out).
I've read that there are new version of K70 being release as of yesterday with MX blue, brown and red switches, but that there's only going to be black version with red LED available. So I've read. I found the grey one (blue LED) with blue switches with DE layout, I just sent them an email asking if they'll deliver to Slovenia. Otherwise I think I'm too late to the party, I guess I'll either have to wait for the new version or find another keyboard.

Only time will tell if they can compete with Cherry switches.

I'd personally go for the K70 over the Razer board, hope you manage to get one. smile.gifsmile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Keyboard Suggestion Thread