Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › CX750 Anyone use this PSU or have feedback??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CX750 Anyone use this PSU or have feedback??

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hello, I just purchased the CX750 PSU from Microcenter for 85 USD (w/ 10 mail in rebate). I agonized over this decision and finally just pulled the trigger. I wanted a PSU what would handle 2x HD 7950 (For the future) I am going to purchase them one now and one in the future.

I have read quite a bit of negative feedback on the corsaie CX series, and heard of some noise problems (I have heard of this on the higher end corsair PSUs as well), as well as "cheap capacitors" "not actually built by corsair" etc. However, I am wondering how bad could this PSU be for the money. It seems to be pretty solid from what I can tell so far. Making it difficult to justify returning it (as I have been pondering) and getting a higher end PSU.

Does anyone have feedback on this PSU that will make me strongly consider returning it for 30-50 dollar more expensive PSU ( I am pushing my budget as it is), it is a 12v single rail 62 amp PSU, which seems ample for 2 7950s and whatever else.

Anyone recommending better value PSUs should consider that I will be only shopping at Microcenter, as I can not afford to have my computer off line for even on day for work purpose.

Other PSUs I considered

OCZ fatal1ty 750 watt PSU 99.99

Corsair TX750 refurbished 99.00

Corsiar TX750 non refurb 119 (119.99)
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgstrick View Post

Hello, I just purchased the CX750 PSU from Microcenter for 85 USD (w/ 10 mail in rebate). I agonized over this decision and finally just pulled the trigger. I wanted a PSU what would handle 2x HD 7950 (For the future) I am going to purchase them one now and one in the future.

 

A quality-made 550W PSU would be enough for that.  ;)

 

The CX750 is relatively ok, but for $85 you could get the 550W Rosewill CAPSTONE Modular Cable Version Series:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182262

 

Or the 550W SeaSonic G Series:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

 

Or the 650W modular Capstone series:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182263

 

Just sayin'.  ;)

 

These are all high-end modular PSUs.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgstrick View Post

I have read quite a bit of negative feedback on the corsaie CX series, and heard of some noise problems (I have heard of this on the higher end corsair PSUs as well), as well as "cheap capacitors" "not actually built by corsair" etc.

 

None of the capacitors are made by Corsair because none of their PSUs are.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgstrick View Post

 However, I am wondering how bad could this PSU be for the money. It seems to be pretty solid from what I can tell so far. Making it difficult to justify returning it (as I have been pondering) and getting a higher end PSU.

Does anyone have feedback on this PSU that will make me strongly consider returning it for 30-50 dollar more expensive PSU ( I am pushing my budget as it is), it is a 12v single rail 62 amp PSU, which seems ample for 2 7950s and whatever else.

Anyone recommending better value PSUs should consider that I will be only shopping at Microcenter, as I can not afford to have my computer off line for even on day for work purpose.

Other PSUs I considered

OCZ fatal1ty 750 watt PSU 99.99

Corsair TX750 refurbished 99.00

Corsiar TX750 non refurb 119 (119.99)

 

The 620W Antec High Current Gamer is $95 and is better than these PSUs (but inferior to the ones I linked from Newegg):

 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/383861/High_Current_Gamer_620_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I would love to buy one of those two PSUs off newegg.com. However, I am limited to my local Microcenter at this point rolleyes.gif I am just wondering how much "real world" difference I will see by spending 10 more on the Antec, will it last significantly longer??
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
CX750 is different than the other CX, actually more advanced than Antec HCG620 and much more so than the other CX; it's just built using CX-quality type parts (not bad, not good). It's a different design than the other CX, so anything you hear about coil whine may not really apply. The junior CX models are kind of notorious for that.

HCG620 is arguably worse than anything listed in the OP, though it's built better than CX. It's just a Seasonic S12II bronze. It would also require you to use molex -> PCIe power adapters for crossfire. Also, if you're really really cranking the overclocks, 620W is on the low side for 2x 7950s

Microcenter PSU selection generally sucks. However, a decent price-conscious pick would be the Thermaltake SMART 750M for $100, $80 after rebate:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383021/SMART_Series_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

It's the same design as the CX750, just modular, with a ball-bearing fan, and with Japanese capacitors. You can find a review here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Smart_M_750W/
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgstrick View Post

I would love to buy one of those two PSUs off newegg.com. However, I am limited to my local Microcenter at this point rolleyes.gif I am just wondering how much "real world" difference I will see by spending 10 more on the Antec, will it last significantly longer??

 

I just learned from some Googling that the platform for the CX750 is the CWT (Channel Well Technology) PUQ series which is the same as the Thermaltake Smart, and the Thermaltake Smart is on the recommended list:

 

http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

 

So, it must not be all that bad.

 

However, I know for sure that the Antec is a SeaSonic S12II inside and so it might be better in terms of overclocking and trying to achieve stability.

 

Really though, I have to admit that the CX750 is looking better than the other CX units.

 

 

Edit:  I see that I was ninja'd while I was Googling during the creation of my post.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
LOL, I really appreciate the quick research and great feedback. It doesn't sound like i did that bad for 85 dollars, I guess its a matter of spending 15 more for modular and I'm not sure Its worth it to me. I may just let it roll with the CX750.
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
Bill's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
3770K ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Crucial Ballistix Sport Sandisk Extreme SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingPowerCase
LG DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Corsair CX750 Cooler Master 912 HAF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
I've had my CX500 for about 5 months now and it's been solid and no noise from it. I was in the same predicament you were when my OCZ 700 watt's fan header died and I needed a PSU ASAP for work. I had a budget of $60 and it was either a refurbed OCZ unit with 90 day warranty or the CX500 with 3 year that was worth anything in there. Seems to handle my i5 750 and 7950 just fine, I don't see why the CX750 wouldn't handle your setup.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgstrick View Post

LOL, I really appreciate the quick research and great feedback. It doesn't sound like i did that bad for 85 dollars, I guess its a matter of spending 15 more for modular and I'm not sure Its worth it to me. I may just let it roll with the CX750.

Modular, plus more-reliable capacitors and a more-reliable fan. Thinking for long-term longevity, it's worth it. If you won't have any use for the power supply you get after a few years, then maybe not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › CX750 Anyone use this PSU or have feedback??