Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX TITAN Previews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] GTX TITAN Previews - Page 87  

post #861 of 1636
The root of the problem pretty much has to do with the timeline, I think. Had this been released with the 680, it would actually make sense to classify it as a niche, ultra enthusiast product. The fact that it comes out a year later, at 2x the price for less than 2x the performance is at the heart of peoples' problem with it.
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960x Rampage V Extreme GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 16GB Intel X25-M G2 160GB Raid 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy EVO 2x MO-RA3 420 18x Noiseblocker PK-1 140mm MCP35X2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
7 Ultimate 3007WFP-HC Corsair AX1500i Antec 1200 
  hide details  
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960x Rampage V Extreme GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 16GB Intel X25-M G2 160GB Raid 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy EVO 2x MO-RA3 420 18x Noiseblocker PK-1 140mm MCP35X2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
7 Ultimate 3007WFP-HC Corsair AX1500i Antec 1200 
  hide details  
post #862 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

We're used to seeing each generation improve price/performance. Price/performance just got worse.

The GTX 680 improved price performance over the GTX 580. Just like the 580 did over the 480. Just like the 780 will over the 680.

This isn't the GTX 780, people. If the GTX 780 launches at $1000, then we can have this conversation.
post #863 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyedi View Post

The root of the problem pretty much has to do with the timeline, I think. Had this been released with the 680, it would actually make sense to classify it as a niche, ultra enthusiast product. The fact that it comes out a year later, at 2x the price for less than 2x the performance is at the heart of peoples' problem with it.

They needed to release the 780 and Titan at the same time. It would of shown the 780 beating the 680 at the same price point, and then the titan off in the distance for people who want overkill.
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
post #864 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Please tell me this isn't a legitimate question? You think people buy Murderbox's to hide them in the closet? Spend days sleeving cables to not show them off? Spend hours benching 3dmark11 for that extra 3 points on their PScore not to post it anywhere? If the computing hobby was only about performance and nothing else, why do cases have windows? Why do we put lights in our rigs and list their components in our sigs? Why are their threads on how to take proper photos of our rigs? Get real man, showing off is a huge part of this hobby and if you deny it you're a liar... rolleyes.gif
This is a subjective topic i understand but there are two sides to every coin, i just believe buying gaming GPUs to play games is the most logical of the two. Perhaps my tone was alittle too strong, but buying a $1000 GPU to be "special" and have people gawk at your points online (LOL) and not because you require the performance is silly imo.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You're looking at things from only an aesthetics standpoint it seems.

I don't know enough about a murderbox to give my opinion on it so i will not address that. But some people actually Sleeve their cases because they want their PC looking nice for themselves also a reason to get a windowed case because you like seeing your products same goes for lights and any other aesthetic modifications . 3DMark is a very useful tool for stability testing, testing overclocking headroom, trouble shooting and making sure your system is performing the same as similarly equipped machinery and yes also for comparisons. We list our components in our sigs again for help when trouble shooting and easily getting a persons information when you or they have a question to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyedi View Post

The root of the problem pretty much has to do with the timeline, I think. Had this been released with the 680, it would actually make sense to classify it as a niche, ultra enthusiast product. The fact that it comes out a year later, at 2x the price for less than 2x the performance is at the heart of peoples' problem with it.
This is exactly my problem with it. AMD didn't help by delaying their 8Ks until the end of the year or next year....
Edited by th3illusiveman - 2/20/13 at 12:31am
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
post #865 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

They needed to release the 780 and Titan at the same time. It would of shown the 780 beating the 680 at the same price point, and then the titan off in the distance for people who want overkill.

If that happened I think this entire discussion would never have happened.
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
post #866 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomTaco View Post

If that happened I think this entire discussion would never have happened.

Probably not, we'd just have people complaining that they can't afford the best of the best and that the 780 should be price at $400, and the Titan at $500. tongue.gif
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
post #867 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

Supercars cost a lot because 1) they cost a lot to produce and 2) for the intended market (people who can actually drive that fast) they are worth the premium.

Lamborghini Aventador:
0-62mph - 2.9 seconds
217mph top speed
£300,000

Bugatti Veyron:
0-62mph - 2.5 seconds
254mph top speed
£1,000,000

Nobody will ever reach those top speeds other than testers on a huge test-track.

There is a small real-world performance difference, but there is a large theoretical performance difference - and that is what people are willing to pay for. They're both cars that sell well.

In our case, we might as well consider the Aventador the 680 and the Veyron the Titan. People will pay the difference for numbers, because they know that their hardware has the potential to be the very best.
Main
(13 items)
 
  
Main
(13 items)
 
  
post #868 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Probably not, we'd just have people complaining that they can't afford the best of the best and that the 780 should be price at $400, and the Titan at $500. tongue.gif

What I don't get is why people don't see supply and demand here. If the market decides the price is too much, it won't sell and they'll cut the price. If it sells fine, then obviously the market accepts the price. Just because individual x disagrees and thinks this is some travesty doesn't mean it's true, there's an individual y out there that's clearly ok with it. People buy $300,000 ferraris, why don't toyota owners stand up and start saying you should make it cheaper, there's no logical reason for the price. Even if they did, ferrari would ignore them, it's not the product they make. And titan is nvidia's ferrari enzo successor.
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
Project Taco
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Z87 G1 Sniper 5 EVGA 780 TI Classified EVGA 780 TI Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Avexir Core Series 4x4GB White Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H100i Noiseblocker eLoops 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 QNIX QX2710 QNIX QX2710 KBT Pure MX Whites 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold NZXT H440 Func MS-3 O2/ODAC 
Audio
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RP Mod) 
  hide details  
post #869 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

They needed to release the 780 and Titan at the same time. It would of shown the 780 beating the 680 at the same price point, and then the titan off in the distance for people who want overkill.

That would make a lot more sense. It would actually also seem to lend some credence to the claims that it's overpriced, though. Consider that a 780 would offer more performance than a 680. That would reduce Titan's lead, if the 780 launches at $500. It's a question of when the 780 launches, though. The closer to today is launches, the more overpriced Titan is, because that is what product the Titan essentially should be competing against, given that it's launching what is typically a product cycle later. The 680 is not what we should be comparing it to, and thus the frustrations people are having with the price.
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960x Rampage V Extreme GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 16GB Intel X25-M G2 160GB Raid 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy EVO 2x MO-RA3 420 18x Noiseblocker PK-1 140mm MCP35X2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
7 Ultimate 3007WFP-HC Corsair AX1500i Antec 1200 
  hide details  
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5960x Rampage V Extreme GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
GTX 980 Ti GTX 980 Ti 16GB Intel X25-M G2 160GB Raid 0 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy EVO 2x MO-RA3 420 18x Noiseblocker PK-1 140mm MCP35X2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
7 Ultimate 3007WFP-HC Corsair AX1500i Antec 1200 
  hide details  
post #870 of 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

Our main issue is the precedent it sets. No one cared about the 8800 Ultra because it wasn't really much better than the GTX. The Titan could be a legitimate 680 successor.

The legitimate 680 successor will be the 780 coming out later with about a 10-15% increase in performance most likely just like 480->580 and 580->680 etc. They specifically called this Titan and not a number to avoid your argument.

The precedent for charging a premium for the best (single card performance) or something else not offered elsewhere (6gb memory on a gaming card, unique OCing capabilities) is not only years old in the video card industry but is as old as capitalism itself. People still bought the 8800 ultras and people still bought 680s over 670s and people will buy Titans. You yourself said the card should be $800. People will pay that $200 (in your opinion) premium to have the best card to SLI with or the best card to have surround monitors or high resolution gaming. Whatever the reason they will pay. Do you expect Nvidia to lower the price to be friendly? They exist to make money not be your friend. The 680 is still no slouch and can play almost anything at high settings so I wouldnt call it a mid range card either.

Now I would agree with you if they priced the 780 at $7-800 when it comes out and kept the 680 where it was. Then you would have a point, but I can't agree with you here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX TITAN Previews