Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Performance Decrease after Eyefinity. *Need Hardware solution*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Performance Decrease after Eyefinity. *Need Hardware solution*

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello All,

I know its almost expected to have issues with something such as Eyefinity, although id like to find a solution here.

Yesterday i finally got my last monitor to run Eyefinity. I have 3 X 1920 X 1200 resolution monitors (Total is 5760 X 1200) My performance has dropped significantly in BF3 and few others. Before Eyefinity i was running BF3 on Ultra at 70 FPS, now i cant run it on Ultra, im forced to used High/Med settings.

I'm currently running with 2x HD 6950's CF, i was assuming that this tripled resolution would now require more GPU power? In this case i was looking into CF 7970's.. Would this be the answer to my performance decrease after Eyefinity?

Here is my System specs.. maybe i need to upgrade elsewhere as well?

Resolution: 5760 X 1200
Intel Core i7 920
6GB DDR3
1000W PSU
2X CF HD Sapphire 6950's
120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD


post #2 of 11
Hello mtb88

You would definitely benefit from newer cards. However, the fact is that your processor will be a bottleneck. If you want to run eyefinity, you will need an overclocked processor that is atleast 4.2-4.5 Ghz in order to properly utilize your new GPUs. If you use MSI Afterburner overlay and take a look at GPU usage, you will probably find that it rarely hits 99% which signifies that both GPUs are fully tasked with work. This is due to the fact that the CPU is not fast enough at sending packets to the GPU thereby creating a bottleneck.

I know this is a slight oversimplification but you should get the big picture.

My suggestion would be to first get an Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge processor and overclock it.
If you don't see a decent performance increase then you need to start looking at new GPUs as well.

Thank you
post #3 of 11
When you're talking a 5760 x 1200 setup, you need a whole system revamp, when you get better GPU's your current CPU is going to bottleneck them. You're going to need a 3770k w/ a 4.5Ghz+ clock and a few 7970's (or switch to Nvidia for an easier Nvidia Surround setup [which more games support]). Of course to run higher AA settings you'll want higher amounts of v-ram (3 or 4GB cards)
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello,

Thank you! I was considering a new build with an Ivy bridge i7, With this ill need a new MB/RAM. This will take some time for funds purposes but worth it in the end!
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cerberus View Post

Hello mtb88

You would definitely benefit from newer cards. However, the fact is that your processor will be a bottleneck. If you want to run eyefinity, you will need an overclocked processor that is atleast 4.2-4.5 Ghz in order to properly utilize your new GPUs. If you use MSI Afterburner overlay and take a look at GPU usage, you will probably find that it rarely hits 99% which signifies that both GPUs are fully tasked with work. This is due to the fact that the CPU is not fast enough at sending packets to the GPU thereby creating a bottleneck.

I know this is a slight oversimplification but you should get the big picture.

My suggestion would be to first get an Ivy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge processor and overclock it.
If you don't see a decent performance increase then you need to start looking at new GPUs as well.

Thank you


I'm sorry but this is totally incorrect. Resolution scale almost exclusively of GPU power and CPU power does not factor in to it. If a CPU can run a game maxed at 1080p then it can run it just as well at a higher resolution. All that is needed is more GPU grunt and VRAM.

So yes mtb88 crossfire 7970 is exacley what you want. Thous cards are as good as it gets currently in terms of Eyefinity performance (well there is always trifire but you get what I'm saying wink.gif )
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Whatever user that said a more powerful CPU is required to adequately feed multi-GPU at >2560x1600 resolutions is exactly right.
post #7 of 11
CPU's still need to feed data to the GPU and they need to do it quickly otherwise the GPU will sit idle

I do agree that there is less stress on the CPU when gaming at a higher resolution but if you take a look at benchmarks with overclocked processors vs non-overclocked processors keeping the GPUs (2 or more) constant you will notice a performance increase. This may not be a factor to consider for a single GPU as you would basically a few frames difference but if you take a look here http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=836&page=7

You can see that the 3770K stock scores 58.5 fps vs a 920 @ 4Ghz that scores 52.6 fps on a single GPU. Unfortunately, I don't have any benchmarks that vary CPU settings with a dual GPU setup but from personal experience I can tell you that upgrading from an Intel 870 to a 2600K @ 4Ghz having 2 5870's gave me around 10-15 fps more in games like BC2
post #8 of 11
Hey Thracks you @ the Markham location ? Nice to see a fellow AMDer
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cerberus View Post

CPU's still need to feed data to the GPU and they need to do it quickly otherwise the GPU will sit idle

I do agree that there is less stress on the CPU when gaming at a higher resolution but if you take a look at benchmarks with overclocked processors vs non-overclocked processors keeping the GPUs (2 or more) constant you will notice a performance increase. This may not be a factor to consider for a single GPU as you would basically a few frames difference but if you take a look here http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=836&page=7

You can see that the 3770K stock scores 58.5 fps vs a 920 @ 4Ghz that scores 52.6 fps on a single GPU. Unfortunately, I don't have any benchmarks that vary CPU settings with a dual GPU setup but from personal experience I can tell you that upgrading from an Intel 870 to a 2600K @ 4Ghz having 2 5870's gave me around 10-15 fps more in games like BC2

Yes there is a difference but it clearly is not solely due to the CPU speed as the stock clocked 920 and the 920 @ 4GHz are withing the margin of error and a Q6600 @ 3Gzh is shown to have better performance then a 920 @ 4GHz (in crysis 2). And for the record I did not say that CPU speed does not effect performance. I said that resolution is a completely GPU bound thing.

As an example I have to run catzilla at 560p (kitty) and disable 2 to get any kind of CPU bottlenecking going and even then its only when the FPS goes over 180. Step up that resolution to 720p and the GPU is back to being the bottleneck through out the run.
Edited by Bit_reaper - 2/19/13 at 12:56pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Yes there is a difference but it clearly is not solely due to the CPU speed as the stock clocked 920 and the 920 @ 4GHz are withing the margin of error and a Q6600 @ 3Gzh is shown to have better performance then a 920 @ 4GHz (in crysis 2). And for the record I did not say that CPU speed does not effect performance. I said that resolution is a completely GPU bound thing.

As an example I have to run catzilla at 560p (kitty) and disable 2 to get any kind of CPU bottlenecking going and even then its only when the FPS goes over 180. Step up that resolution to 720p and the GPU is back to being the bottleneck through out the run.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/05/03/nvidia_3way_sli_amd_trifire_redux/2#.USPuWaU1b8s

read through it, you'll see that the CPU means quite a bit thumb.gif
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Performance Decrease after Eyefinity. *Need Hardware solution*