Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › MSI 990FXA-GD65
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI 990FXA-GD65

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi, i need a good board for FX 8320. I intend to overclock, and MSI 990FXA-GD65 seems prety good to me. Dont have money for flagship GD80. I have Noctua NH-D14 so im aiming for very high clocks. I cant find much information for this board regarding overclocking. So, if someone can help me with some advice it would be great. Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 10
There's some good information of the two boards side by side here.

http://motherboard.findthebest.com/compare/163-174/MSI-990FXA-GD65-vs-MSI-990FXA-GD80


Personally, I think your cpu cooler is going to be holding you back from the high clocks you're aiming to achieve before your motherboard will. I'm pretty sure that GD65 will take you further than the NH-D14 will allow you to go.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Who Dat View Post

There's some good information of the two boards side by side here.

http://motherboard.findthebest.com/compare/163-174/MSI-990FXA-GD65-vs-MSI-990FXA-GD80


Personally, I think your cpu cooler is going to be holding you back from the high clocks you're aiming to achieve before your motherboard will. I'm pretty sure that GD65 will take you further than the NH-D14 will allow you to go.
I had a NH-14D. I got 4.6ghz on a 8150, so I would say would get around 4.7ghz with a 8320 and a NH-14D.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
With my current board i get trough Cinebench at 4.8 Ghz with 1.52V and i get 63C socket temp and 50C cores temps, and thats with Noctua vents at low rpm !! In my system i cant get it boot in to the Windows with 5.0Ghz at 1.55V and this very same chip in my frineds Asus M5A99X Evo board booted at 1.51v at 5.0Ghz. He get it to 4.0Ghz stable at 1.26V, i need 1.33V !! So obviously im held back by motherboard.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itomic View Post

With my current board i get trough Cinebench at 4.8 Ghz with 1.52V and i get 63C socket temp and 50C cores temps, and thats with Noctua vents at low rpm !! In my system i cant get it boot in to the Windows with 5.0Ghz at 1.55V and this very same chip in my frineds Asus M5A99X Evo board booted at 1.51v at 5.0Ghz. He get it to 4.0Ghz stable at 1.26V, i need 1.33V !! So obviously im held back by motherboard.
Just remember not all mobo or cpu will oc the same.
EXAMPLE
A Biostar TA990FXE mobo I have. Most ppl need to set 1.55v in the bios to get 1.488v on load, but my Biostar I need 1.5v in the bios for 1.488v on load.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Yes i know, but chip is good then i just need better board.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itomic View Post

Yes i know, but chip is good then i just need better board.
If you want some of the best mobo then look at Asus mobo.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
MSI 990FXA-GD65 is about 50 dollars cheaper in my country then Sabertooth wich i know is great. Featurewise, this MSI bourd should be fine, but im looking for some info from people that have this board.
post #9 of 10
Don't buy an MSI 990fxa gd65, because max allowed cpu voltage is 1.5v. It really sucks man!
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks, i will not buy it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › MSI 990FXA-GD65