Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Reviews - Page 353  

post #3521 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800GT View Post

I realize that architecturally there is more difference. I'm stating from a consumer perspective because, I am a consumer. But I can see that I'm outnumbered. Perhaps I've been unclear about it. The Titan is great. The technology is amazing and it's quite powerful indeed. But the fact of the matter is it's not the god card people are making it out to be. The only reason one could justify paying that much is if they need the compute and shader performance. I expect the GTX 780 to be almost as fast. But on OCN you're right the 7970 probably outsold the 7870. Everywhere else? Not even a contest.
dude i would just drop it. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm 100% with you on this but I tried bringing up valid points and logic in alot of Titan threads, hell even in the rumour ones and they didn't listen then and they don't listen now. Lets see how happy they are when the GTX780 is priced at $799 and the 8970 is also priced at $800 since they have said to Nvidia and AMD that paying $500 for a high end GPU isn't enough, please charge me more....
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
post #3522 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post

ah I see. there is only one big problem that I see. Instead of locking voltage, they locked wattage, or power draw. so they in fact didn't change their stance on "limiting" these cards.. they simply exchanged one constraint for another and then marketed these cards as "unlocked" when clearly they are not.

but that is another topic altogether. a lighting titan with unlocked voltage is not going to do any better with a 265w power draw limit :-(

Good grief man. Really? The 265W limit isn't a hard limit. It can easily be bypassed with a different BIOS and additional power draw (2x 8 pin connectors). In fact, even with a 6 pin and 8 pin you can easily draw more than 265W from a pci express slot. Just drop it , seriously thumb.gif
post #3523 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

The stipulation here is that nvidia has already given them a theoretical volt Max and allowed oems to "unlock" to that maximum.

No, they really didn't. Although it would be insane to allow 1.5V, software voltage will obviously have to be within reasonable levels (1.3V maybe? shrug). You and the other fellow phishy seem to conjure up a lot of strange stories about this, just accept that we don't know what custom boards have in store for us and that Cebit will reveal much more. thumb.gif

What I know is that nvidia is allowing overvoltage if they approve the design. We also know that overvoltage will not void RMA status. MSI may be working on a lightning titan. Any further speculation than that is worthless, let's wait for cebit thumb.gif
Edited by xoleras - 3/1/13 at 3:10pm
post #3524 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

Good grief man. Really? The 265W limit isn't a hard limit. It can easily be bypassed with a different BIOS and additional power draw (2x 8 pin connectors). In fact, even with a 6 pin and 8 pin you can easily draw more than 265W from a pci express slot. Just drop it , seriously thumb.gif
Max would be 300w, though I do not know what the aux power is used for, I have to take a look at the pcb

It is a pretty big 'if' to say nvidia would allow OEM modified bios that would increase this limit.
I am confident that there will be an unlocked bios at some point.

Throughout their explanation of what oems can change, it only talked volts. Nothing about powerdraw
Edited by jomama22 - 3/1/13 at 3:08pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
post #3525 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

No, they really didn't. Although it would be insane to allow 1.5V, software voltage will obviously have to be within reasonable levels (1.3V maybe? shrug). You and the other fellow phishy seem to conjure up a lot of fantasies and half truths about this, just accept that we don't know what custom boards have in store for us and that Cebit will reveal much more. thumb.gif

What I know is that nvidia is allowing overvoltage if they approve the design. We also know that overvoltage will not void RMA status. MSI may be working on a lightning titan. Any further speculation than that is worthless, let's wait for cebit thumb.gif

Its not fantasy. Reread the guru3d source you posted. They were more concerned about oems allowing any volt control or not and explicitly says to look for skus that allow it. They themselves said 1.25 would most likely be the limit.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
post #3526 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

Its not fantasy. Reread the guru3d source you posted. They were more concerned about oems allowing any volt control or not and explicitly says to look for skus that allow it. They themselves said 1.25 would most likely be the limit.

Again, you're speculating. Nobody knows what the limit is, if any, but I do agree that software overvoltage will have to be within reason: i'd imagine a 1.3V hard limit would be just that. Furthermore, you can achieve any voltage you want independent of the drivers with voltage offset. MSI Afterburner does have this technology available, with voltage offset you can get 1.6V regardless of what the driver requests. Obviously asus, MSI and others won't allow a software voltage that insanely high but it is possible to get basically whatever you want within the parameters of what the PCB components allow.

I'd speculate a 1.3V software voltage limit would be a good "within reason" upper limit, with hardware mods required for higher than that. That is within reason, and I think if a Titan lightning is released that could happen. Like you, i'm speculating. How about we wait for cebit instead of arguing about what might happen, good grief.
Edited by xoleras - 3/1/13 at 3:20pm
post #3527 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

Good grief man. Really? The 265W limit isn't a hard limit. It can easily be bypassed with a different BIOS and additional power draw (2x 8 pin connectors). In fact, even with a 6 pin and 8 pin you can easily draw more than 265W from a pci express slot. Just drop it , seriously thumb.gif

Maybe, but just because there is a setting for it in the BIOS doesn't mean changing it will really allow the card to exceed the limit. Hopefully you are right, but until someone demonstrates it we'll have to wait and see. People change the voltage limit in 680 BIOS all the time, but they still won't go over 1.21V (on a normal card, I don't know what lightnings and classies do).
post #3528 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

Again, you're speculating...

He was speculating but so are you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

Good grief man. Really? The 265W limit isn't a hard limit. It can easily be bypassed with a different BIOS and additional power draw (2x 8 pin connectors).

You say this like it's fact, either you have some insider information or you're simply guessing like everyone else.

There are plenty of cards you can hex edit any number you want into the bios and real voltage never goes beyond a certain point.
SLOWPOKE
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x@4.4ghz (29x152) 1.392 vcore 24/7 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 2x EVGA Titans Corsair Dominator GT 6GB 2000C7 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
3x 256GB Crucial C300 in Raid0 Loop1: mcp350>pa120.4>ek supreme hf loop2: mcp355>2xpa120.3>ek_titan_x2>ek nb/sb Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Enermax EVO 1250 Mountain Mods Asscension 
  hide details  
SLOWPOKE
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980x@4.4ghz (29x152) 1.392 vcore 24/7 Gigabyte X58A-UD7 2x EVGA Titans Corsair Dominator GT 6GB 2000C7 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
3x 256GB Crucial C300 in Raid0 Loop1: mcp350>pa120.4>ek supreme hf loop2: mcp355>2xpa120.3>ek_titan_x2>ek nb/sb Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Enermax EVO 1250 Mountain Mods Asscension 
  hide details  
post #3529 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2spartan View Post

I had a 690 for about 2 months...while I liked most everything about it....the lack of memory really got to me and I game at 1080p (but I mod alot)....It scales very well for the most part. Some newly released titles just arent optimized for sli at first or Nvidia needs to update drivers for those new games. I hate having to wait for new drivers when I want to use my graphics card to its full potantial when those games are released.

Which new game's are these that the 690 had bad driver's for at release that were newer? My 690 has blown everything out of the water at every game I've played at release and that's at 2560x1440p. For the Op get a 690 unless your playing Skyrim. Its faster and the same price.
Edited by rcfc89 - 3/1/13 at 3:41pm
 
PS4 Pro
(1 item)
 
Beast II
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k 4.5ghz Asus X79 Sabertooth 980Ti Lightning 1500mhz 980Ti Lightning 1500mhz 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Dominator 16gb 1866 240gb Corsair Force GT SSD Corsair H100 Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 LogiTech G110 CoolMaster 1200w Silent Pro Gold Azza Hurricane 2000 
Mouse
LogiTech G500 
Monitor
Samsung UN40MU7000 4K 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k 5.0ghz  Coffee Lake "awaiting boards" Volta gpu 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Samsung Evo SSD Corsair H100i v2 SP120 RGB Fans Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit  Samsung UN40MU7000 4K HDR 
PowerCase
EVGA 750W SuperNova Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB 
  hide details  
 
PS4 Pro
(1 item)
 
Beast II
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k 4.5ghz Asus X79 Sabertooth 980Ti Lightning 1500mhz 980Ti Lightning 1500mhz 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Dominator 16gb 1866 240gb Corsair Force GT SSD Corsair H100 Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 LogiTech G110 CoolMaster 1200w Silent Pro Gold Azza Hurricane 2000 
Mouse
LogiTech G500 
Monitor
Samsung UN40MU7000 4K 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k 5.0ghz  Coffee Lake "awaiting boards" Volta gpu 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Samsung Evo SSD Corsair H100i v2 SP120 RGB Fans Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit  Samsung UN40MU7000 4K HDR 
PowerCase
EVGA 750W SuperNova Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB 
  hide details  
post #3530 of 3575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfc89 View Post

Which new game's are these that the 690 had bad driver's for at release that were newer? My 690 has blown everything out of the water at every game I've played at release and that's at 2560x1440p. For the Op get a 690 unless your playing Skyrim. Its faster and the same price.

Good grief @ anyone getting 6GB for 1080p. A 1000$ card for 1080p. What a complete and utter waste to pair a 200$ 1080p junk TN panel with a 1000$ card. IMO of course.
Edited by xoleras - 3/1/13 at 3:51pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Reviews