Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › I think it's time. I thought I would never ask. :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think it's time. I thought I would never ask. :) - Page 3

post #21 of 70
Ok, here goes my suggestion: Virtual Machine.

Like you stated, this is your very first venture into Linux. And while sometimes diving into the deep end is the best way to truly learn somethings, based on your list this will not be happening.

One of biggest things on your list that stands out is your requirement to "keep in your old ways" while at the same time trying something new. Those are mutually exclusive. The best way to reconcile these differences is by a virtual machine, and once you have your toes wet and feel comfortable being in the water, you can leave the kiddie pool and swim in the regular pool by doing a native install.

The most helpful advice I can give you on your Linux venture: Don't expect everything to work, don't expect to be able to use the same software in the same way you're used to, and read. Read before you click, read before you type, read before you read. And learn how to (use) google.

P.S. this post is not meant in anyway to sound anything less than helpful. And while there is a lot of helpful people in the Linux/Open source community, there are just as many jerks who expect you to know everything. to counter this: do as much googleing and footwork on your own before asking a question (to show you tried to solve it yourself) and provide as much detail as possible.
Edited by stumped - 2/21/13 at 4:19pm
Router
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
Router
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
post #22 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post

Couple of suggestions:

1. LibreOffice is every bit as good as MS Office, and it can open and save documents in MS Office formats, too.
2. As others have said, you might wanna try Linux in a virtual machine running in Windows, just to see how it feels.
3. As for just about all your Windows programs, you can run those in a Windows virtual machine in Linux, if there are any you just can't do without. Games are often the exception to this, as virtual machines don't utilize the capabilities of high end graphics cards. You can look into running a program called Wine in Linux to allow that with a lot of games.

Good luck.

 

Excellent.  Thank you!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Easy, yes. Time consuming, little bit.

Still not a problem though.

 

Lloyd:  this is because the only thing he cares about is being helpful when help is needed.  It's a selfless attitude.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 70
I gonna have to go with the others here on the VM front. It'll give you a little practice to get used to installing/using before going at your OS drive. Just to have some poking around without ruining anything first, Linux installs only take 5-15 minutes to install so it's not like you'll lose much time smile.gif
post #24 of 70
In my couple years' experience with Linux, I've found that it's possible to do damn near anything you'd want from an OS. It's usually not very simple, but if you want a particular feature or program, there's a way to get it and even to customize it so that it's precisely what you want. I mention this because of this stated requirement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

21. I need the OS to be extremely and easily customizable

Customizable is, as stated above, Linux's 'middle name.' You will never have a problem there. It's the first part of the above requirement that you'll struggle with, at least at first. Very few things in Linux are as easy as opening a control panel and selecting an option. Even when you have that choice, it's usually better to go into Terminal and tell the program what to do anyway because that opens up your options substantially. That said - know that you'll have a very steep learning curve. You will face frustration, you will hit walls, and you will be times when you'll just boot into Windows and get something done the way you already know how. This is normal, and don't let it discourage you. As stated above, give it a try using a thumb drive or a Live CD. It's free, after all!

One last bit of advice - Linux users are a peculiar bunch. They are community-oriented, as you stated above, but they also tend to be somewhat unforgiving if you approach them the wrong way. You've seen a bit of that with one of the users above, and you will see it again. In general, the best way to approach this is to try to solve the problem yourself first through research and experimentation, then when you ask a question say what you've already done to get the result you want and how it didn't turn out like you expected. Any Linux forum would ridicule you incessantly for asking of Word 2003 works under Ubuntu 12.04, but that same group of people would leap to your aid with all kinds of helpful suggestions if you explained that you've tried and been unsuccessful in getting a particular feature, or even the entire program, to work.
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(17 items)
 
Full Auto GPU-O
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 B1 @ 4.25GHz EVGA X58 Classified 3 (E770) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 24GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Crucial M4 256GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2) LG BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 w/Scythe SFF21F Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Dell S2740L Deck Legend 105 - Fire / Linear 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX 750 Soldam Windy Black Knight Mionix Avior 8200 Rocketfish Speed 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster XTreme Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 540 Asus P7H55-M-PRO EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 iCX 4GB Corsair DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
256GB Samsung 850 Pro 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black Lite-On CD/DVD Burner Linux Mint 18.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung 2333HD Deck Legend 105 - Ice EVGA Supernova 650W P2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Lian Li Velocity Micro Custom Logitech G500 Rocketfish Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 70
Thread Starter 

This is why I love OCN.  :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i never thought i'll be giving advise to someone like you.

 

Hey, I'm forever a student!  It's just that I've become so settled in with my entire setup that I no longer have questions.  Well, except for now of course!  hehehe

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

anyway, try them all out first. how? use vmbox, then install the ones you think will be good candidates such as ubuntu, suse or even puppy linux.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

i did and picked ubuntu as a secondary os inside win7.

edit: btw, this is a good way to find out if a certain distro will support all your hardware.

 

Wow.  Good point, and good advice.  Thank you!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Shark said it very well, but as did some others. You are going to have to give up some things, and you are going to have to take the time to get used to it. However, the reward is well worth it. I would definitely recommend dual-booting, you will probably still need to use Windows now and then.

 

hehe I'm not so sure about that because all I really use my computer for is internet and e-mail, DVD movies, MP3s, and Microsoft Word 2003.  Actually, the only reason I use Word 2003 these days is to sometimes use it to perform an accurate character count, or to check my grammar, and other things like that.  I haven't really used it to create a document in a couple of years or more.  I'll be adding this to my OP.  lol

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

Ok, here goes my suggestion: Virtual Machine.

Like you stated, this is your very first venture into Linux. And while sometimes diving into the deep end is the best way to truly learn somethings, based on your list this will not be happening.

One of biggest things on your list that stands out is your requirement to "keep in your old ways" while at the same time trying something new. Those are mutually exclusive. The best way to reconcile these differences is by a virtual machine, and once you have your toes wet and feel comfortable being in the water, you can leave the kiddie pool and swim in the regular pool by doing a native install.

The most helpful advice I can give you on your Linux venture: Don't expect everything to work, don't expect to be able to use the same software in the same way you're used to, and read. Read before you click, read before you type, read before you read. And learn how to (use) google.

P.S. this post is not meant in anyway to sound anything less than helpful. And while there is a lot of helpful people in the Linux/Open source community, there are just as many jerks who expect you to know everything. to counter this: do as much googleing and footwork on your own before asking a question (to show you tried to solve it yourself) and provide as much detail as possible.

 

Wow, I feel that this is all very excellent advice.  Thank you.

 

Don't worry though:  I can tell that this was intended to be very helpful.  It's quite difficult to fool me.  ;)

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremtok View Post

In my couple years' experience with Linux, I've found that it's possible to do damn near anything you'd want from an OS. It's usually not very simple, but if you want a particular feature or program, there's a way to get it and even to customize it so that it's precisely what you want. I mention this because of this stated requirement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

21. I need the OS to be extremely and easily customizable

Customizable is, as stated above, Linux's 'middle name.' You will never have a problem there. It's the first part of the above requirement that you'll struggle with, at least at first. Very few things in Linux are as easy as opening a control panel and selecting an option. Even when you have that choice, it's usually better to go into Terminal and tell the program what to do anyway because that opens up your options substantially. That said - know that you'll have a very steep learning curve. You will face frustration, you will hit walls, and you will be times when you'll just boot into Windows and get something done the way you already know how. This is normal, and don't let it discourage you. As stated above, give it a try using a thumb drive or a Live CD. It's free, after all!

One last bit of advice - Linux users are a peculiar bunch. They are community-oriented, as you stated above, but they also tend to be somewhat unforgiving if you approach them the wrong way. You've seen a bit of that with one of the users above, and you will see it again. In general, the best way to approach this is to try to solve the problem yourself first through research and experimentation, then when you ask a question say what you've already done to get the result you want and how it didn't turn out like you expected. Any Linux forum would ridicule you incessantly for asking of Word 2003 works under Ubuntu 12.04, but that same group of people would leap to your aid with all kinds of helpful suggestions if you explained that you've tried and been unsuccessful in getting a particular feature, or even the entire program, to work.

 

Wow.  Thank you.  I don't know what else to say.  This is just so helpful!

 

You guys are overwhelming me with how helpful you are.  Thank you.  This is awesome.

 

I can't take any real actions today because I've been awake for almost 20 hours, so this is just me taking the first step.  So the next few hours I'll just be enjoying this Q & A session.  :)

 

I'm literally sitting here with a smile on my face right now.  You guys are great!

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 70
1.have Firefox its our main browser '

2.all the extensions well work there should be no problem there

3.we have tons of pdf views

4.outlook 2003 seems to be covered: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=outlook+2003+on+linux&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

5.see above

6.banshee the main music player on ubuntu type linuxs has this

7.we have vlc built in

8.dvds should work fine but i have never tried

9.pic are easy just double click it

10.print screen works on linux

11.overclocking: look at my sig

12.no cpu-z but we have conky which can monitor stuff from temps to Internet usage and for stresstesting we have some things like that new valley benchmark and
phoronix

13.the intellipont software is going but linux should have something to replace it

14. i have no info on this software

15.thats fine it well all work

16.you can easily change the whole os look from the terminal

17. i have that right now on mine with temps out side, and wind speed

18.i believe that is default on linux

19.can be done

20. we have that with conky its kinda default

21. well like i said you can change the whole os look from terminal

22. we have it faster just go to the software center enter pass double click on the program, click install and wait till the green bar is full

23.well my dads 50 something and he can use linux fine after 12 years of windows

24.my sister has this set up on her netbook dont know about removing never tried

25.dont know how to do that im also a linux noob myself

26.we have them any you can make your own

27.just tried and you can

28. hmmm not sure how to do that but i have seen it done before

29.can do that easy i'm sure of it.
post #28 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk16 View Post

1.have Firefox its our main browser '

2.all the extensions well work there should be no problem there

3.we have tons of pdf views

4.outlook 2003 seems to be covered: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=outlook+2003+on+linux&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

5.see above

6.banshee the main music player on ubuntu type linuxs has this

7.we have vlc built in

8.dvds should work fine but i have never tried

9.pic are easy just double click it

10.print screen works on linux

11.overclocking: look at my sig

12.no cpu-z but we have conky which can monitor stuff from temps to Internet usage and for stresstesting we have some things like that new valley benchmark and
phoronix

13.the intellipont software is going but linux should have something to replace it

14. i have no info on this software

15.thats fine it well all work

16.you can easily change the whole os look from the terminal

17. i have that right now on mine with temps out side, and wind speed

18.i believe that is default on linux

19.can be done

20. we have that with conky its kinda default

21. well like i said you can change the whole os look from terminal

22. we have it faster just go to the software center enter pass double click on the program, click install and wait till the green bar is full

23.well my dads 50 something and he can use linux fine after 12 years of windows

24.my sister has this set up on her netbook dont know about removing never tried

25.dont know how to do that im also a linux noob myself

26.we have them any you can make your own

27.just tried and you can

28. hmmm not sure how to do that but i have seen it done before

29.can do that easy i'm sure of it.

 

Wow.  Thank you!

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 70
I've had a tiny amount of experience with Linux and I'm currently dual-booting with a copy of Mint 14 right now. I only boot windows when I want to bench or games, for all other daily uses I'm trying to get used to Linux. It is fairly easy for 90% of the things you do, the other 10% will frustrate you to no end if you are the type to get angry at computer stuff. For example, I've been scouring the internets trying to find a way to use some sort of equalizer for my wireless headset that is part of its native software install in Windows. I'll keep looking for a while until I break down and ask, but some people would get irritated right away and give up because the easier route is to just go back to Windows.

I can't advise most of your post, but I will say go into it with an open mind and plenty of patience, because long-term Windows use trains you to be doing it only one way. Also, make sure you try a variety of interfaces. The distro you choose to start with probably won't have as much effect on your perception of it as the desktop environment. I started using Ubuntu with unity and hated it, could never get anywhere with it. This time I tried Mint but I used my USB stick to try several DE's before I settled on one and am much happier with the result.

This is of course just my opinion having recently gone down the same road.
post #30 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd mcclendon View Post

just as a preview of the non-clicky-nexty type things you could be faced with, see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml or https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

 

Whoa.  Thank you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd mcclendon View Post

How often do you use cmd on windows?

 

Never, but I remember using it about 90% of the time in Windows 3.1.  Of course, what geek didn't?  :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd mcclendon View Post

Again I think the best next step for you would just to be to download the linux mint live CD and spend some time with it.

 

Oh cool, I'll definitely keep this in mind.  Thank you, Lloyd!

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › I think it's time. I thought I would never ask. :)