Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Stupid Little Crossfire Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stupid Little Crossfire Question

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello. For a while now I have been running 2 AMD cards without CCC installed. I was worried Crossfire may not work without CCC, but GPU-Z said Crossfire was enabled. Today however, I checked my framerate while playing the game Sins of a Solar Empire, and was getting less than 10 fps despite having a 3.5GHz quad-core CPU and 2 HD 6950s. The game is very intensive as there are hundreds of units on screen at a time and the world is massive, but less than 10 fps seems pitiful. Anyways, I thought maybe Crossfire wasn't actually running. I installed MSI Afterburner, and started playing a different game. At first it showed 0% GPU usage on the 2nd GPU, but once I joined a match, both cards had about 55% usage. So long story short, does that mean since both cards had activity that Crossfire is enabled, and that SOASE is just intensive?
post #2 of 7
seems likely if both had usage on them. If CF is enabled it should say so in GPUz.

Is there a reason why you dont run Catalyst though?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihartnell View Post

seems likely if both had usage on them. If CF is enabled it should say so in GPUz.

Is there a reason why you dont run Catalyst though?

I just don't need it. It's a waste of resources. I also disable the two AMD services that run.
post #4 of 7
What's your CPU usage when the screens filled up with units?
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmana View Post

What's your CPU usage when the screens filled up with units?

I haven't checked that. My CPU is a couple years old, but I figured still good, especially since I've overclocked it 25%. Would a newer generation CPU, such as an i5, offer any performance gain if it was the same frequency? Or would it just be more energy efficient?
post #6 of 7
try checking CPU usage first. im thinking if your GPUs arent fully utilized its coz of a bottleneck with the CPU with Sins. Sins is more CPU intensive I'd imagine. run task manager or something and alt tab out when you're lagging or something...
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmana View Post

try checking CPU usage first. im thinking if your GPUs arent fully utilized its coz of a bottleneck with the CPU with Sins. Sins is more CPU intensive I'd imagine. run task manager or something and alt tab out when you're lagging or something...

I checked. It seemed like it was only using one core? One was about 80% used and the other three maybe 5-10%? I could have sworn it supported multiple cores but maybe not...

EDIT: I checked their forums real quick and all threads seem to say there is no multi-core support. Oh well, hopefully in Sins 2.
Edited by Brandonn2010 - 2/23/13 at 11:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Stupid Little Crossfire Question