Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › FX 8150 CPU COOLER! Help*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX 8150 CPU COOLER! Help* - Page 3

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshuman View Post

Look here before you start talking trash about someone make sure you know what your talking about idiot. I was talking about installing the All in one, not a custom loop dummy. You need to watch what comes out of your mouth also, when you address a grown man son. mad.gif
.
I replied to exactly what you posted.
Quote:
AIO water cooling stands for all in one. Something like this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106188

Its as simple as air cooling. thumb.gif
Nothing was ever mentioned about installing.

I talk no trash.
I tell the truth and give facts to back it up
I didn't call you an idiot.
You said "Its as simple as air cooling." and now you try to say that wasn't what you were really saying?


You on the other hand DO NEED TO WATCH YOUR MOUTH! You are definitely not acting like a grown man!
You have ridiculed, belittled and called me names with no justification or knowledge.

So step back and adjust your attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruude View Post

He was meaning all in one coolers. Like the h100i etc lol so which altered universe are you frm!! rolleyes.gif
You have confused yourself with custom loops biggrin.gif

i understand where you are coming from though. The H100's etc all you do is fix the rad on case and stick the heatsink on? how much more simple can one get lol
What he was meaning was not what he said. And going off calling me names and ridiculing is over the top.

Simple to install maybe. But not as simple a cooling system as an air cooler. More moving parts and many times as many problems than air cooling has.

And really the block/pump is a little easier to install but you still have to route you hoses and mount the radiator, and install the fans on the radiator. And I've seen post of people having trouble getting their water blocks installed. So I wonder if it really is easier to install? I can install a SA SB-E, TC14PE, old Silver Arrow very fast. About 10 screws total and clips on fans. No big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

With that case I would get a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme or a Corsair H100 and go to town. Could also get the Water 2.0 Pro of H80, both of those are basically the same design AMD offers as their high end cooler for the 3850.

Tower coolers provide amazing cooling but they can be a serious pain to install and can limit RAM choices. The self contained cooling units deliver great performance, are easy to work with AND actually evacuate the heat from the case.

Before anyone starts looking at CLC/AIO systems please google each cooler you are considering and see how many buyers have had problems with each model Corsair H100 will give you lots of results of people having issues. Than google the top air coolers and see how many buyers have had problems. It's that easy to get some answers that I have no control over.

Also check out reputable reviews of both cooler but be careful of reviews comparing both inside of a case.. AIO/CLC are mounted into case panel and either draw air in through radiator push air out through radiator. If the air coolers have good airflow they score about the same.. usually air is slightly better. But if air cooler is not getting good airflow and it's hot exhaust air is not all being expelled from case they will run much hotter than CLC/AIO. Best reviews are out of case tests. Reviews in cases are only really applicable to owners of the same case with same components.

Air coolers are quieter, cheaper and cool better than CLC/AIO. There are a couple AIO on the horizon that will be better cooling and probably as quiet.. but they will cost 50-100% more
Edited by doyll - 2/25/13 at 8:09am
post #22 of 38
Aircooling benchmarks in open air = seriously? Nobody's realistically going to have a bench chassis, so you're trying to mean "EVERYONE BUY A BENCH CHASSIS INSTEAD"
NO.
Seriously. That's why cases benchmarks a certain cooler instead. Proper benchmarks IS in a fully closed up case not on a bench with unrestricted air and possibly a 59db delta pointing at it
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

There are "rumors" about big coolers warp / crack but they are not backed up with any fact. Only cases I know of this actually happening are when case was dropped, shopped without supporting the cooler on board or similar. All of which are not within reasonable use of equipment.
LOL NO IT IS NOT!!! No idea what planet you are from or what you've been eating but you must be living in some altered universe.

Air cooler = heatsink & fan/fans = 2 items in system.
*Heatsink absorbs heat and fan cools it with air.. SIMPLE!!
*Fan dies on a big cooler and system will still work at low to medium load because all of the big coolers with cool passively... or strap on whatever fan is handy until you get replacement fan. Coolers last virtually forever

Water cooler = block / block-pump + hoses + radiator + fan/fans = at least 4 items in system.. plus water.
*Block absorbs heat into water, a pump moves the water through hoses to a radiator, and fans blow air though radiator to remove heat from water.. COMPLICATED!!
*Fan dies and in most cases system overheats.. or strap on whatever fan is handy
*Pump dies and there is NO COOLING.. and water pumps will all die eventually. Even custom loop systems.. and these cheap CLC/AIO system pumps are not going to last more than 5 years.. many fail in a couple years.

Myself, I plan on using my heatpipe air coolers for many many years. I've used one for 4+ years already and it's still going strong.

Basic common sense can see 2 items is simpler than 4+ items

first if your really trying to say that the concept of a AIO cooler is to complicated for you then you probably shouldnt be on Overclock to begin with. both coolers work on the same principal, heat moves from a heat block through either heat pipes or liquid to a radiator where it can be cooled down. Yes a AIO does have more point of possible failure (fans and the pump can break) however with a AIO like anything from corsair u have a 5 year warranty so im not seeing how that is really a good argument.
Second I would really have to disagree with saying that air coolers are easier. The amount of effort it takes to put in a large air cooler to a small case where u might hit ur ram or GPU its much easier to just mount the waterblock/pump then mount your rad.
Third as far as time goes in 5 yearsill probably be using a different socket CPU and MOBO. this makes most of the CPU coolers that are out now incompatible anyway so while ur air cooler might still work the same 20 years from now if it doesnt fit your socket type it doesn't matter.

Now in response to OP.
Personally i have a H80 and it works great, is basically silent with some noctua fans on it. I did a lot of research looking around before i picked it up as i questioned how easy the AIO route really was. However now that i have it im very lad i went with it. Had i gone with a Evo or NH-D14 i wouldnt be able to use my high profile memory on my board and i would also have to remove it whenever i wanted to get at my ram. Also after looking at reviews when u have amazing airflow (like in a bench setup) the air coolers generally perform similarly too the AIO's but when they're put in a closed case where airflow may not be ideal because of cable management or case size then the AIO's are a great solution.
Bottom line u can get a good air cooler that will perform fine in a larger case with a mild to medium overclock and it will be a good price. The AIO route is the perfect solution if ur looking to get some extra cooling if ur case is a tight fit and you dont have the room for a large air cooler because of space requirements around your motherboard.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

Aircooling benchmarks in open air = seriously? Nobody's realistically going to have a bench chassis, so you're trying to mean "EVERYONE BUY A BENCH CHASSIS INSTEAD"
NO.
Seriously. That's why cases benchmarks a certain cooler instead. Proper benchmarks IS in a fully closed up case not on a bench with unrestricted air and possibly a 59db delta pointing at it

What you are saying is we have to use cases to test coolers.. Cases do not perform the same. So unless we are using the same case setup the same as tester we will very likely not get the same results. And the airflow of case (unless you are really serious and know airflow) is most likely going to very biased in favor of water cooling.

What I'm saying is I want to know how good the cooler performs... not how good a system is performing.

Tower coolers do an okay job of keeping cool intake and hot exhaust air separated. None of the others do. GPU's are terrible for recirculating the same air. Water cooling by using a remote radiator does separate the cool intake and hot exhaust.

Testing cooler against cooler needs to be done on open bench because we don't all use the cases and components. Coolers tested in a case is only applicable to performance in that system & case. We can replicate testing on a bench pretty easily. We cannot replicate case testing.



Another big problem with most testing is they use room ambient. Room ambient is not the real temp of the air the cooler is using. The air temp 3-5cm in front of cooler intake is much more relevant than room temp... and will often very dramatically during a cooler test run. Using the air temp in front of intake vs cpu temp give a true delta temp of cooler performance.

Now if this was done on all case system reviews than we would have a true reference of what the cooler is actually capable of and not what the combined package of components does.
post #25 of 38
If you are going to test on an open bench however instead of focusing on what the actually temp numbers are it is better to focus on the Delta of the temp vs the ambient and % difference in delta between the coolers. With these numbers you are getting a closer to useful data set.

You are correct however case testing has an issue in the fact that cases each have different air flow characteristics and so the numbers can vary by quite a bit with just a case change.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymedtd View Post

first if your really trying to say that the concept of a AIO cooler is to complicated for you
You are out of line. Respond to what I've said. I never said anything about AIO being to complicated for me. Big difference between not using and not being capable of using! This all started over a statement of AIO being as simple as air cooling. What I said and still say is AIO/CLC are not as simple a system as air coolers
then you probably shouldnt be on Overclock to begin with. both coolers work on the same principal, heat moves from a heat block through either heat pipes or liquid to a radiator where it can be cooled down.
Heatpipes are totally passive operating. AIO is not
Yes a AIO does have more point of possible failure (fans and the pump can break) however with a AIO like anything from corsair u have a 5 year warranty so im not seeing how that is really a good argument.
Second I would really have to disagree with saying that air coolers are easier. The amount of effort it takes to put in a large air cooler to a small case where u might hit ur ram or GPU its much easier to just mount the waterblock/pump then mount your rad.
There is wiggle room on this topic.
Third as far as time goes in 5 yearsill probably be using a different socket CPU and MOBO. this makes most of the CPU coolers that are out now incompatible anyway so while ur air cooler might still work the same 20 years from now if it doesnt fit your socket type it doesn't matter.
What I said was "So I wonder if it really is easier to install?" Please respond to what I post not whatever you want to say I'm saying
Now in response to OP.
Personally i have a H80
Really H80 is CLC (Closed Loop Cooling). AIO is All in One and is not necessarily closed loop. AIand it works great, is basically silent with some noctua fans on it. Noctua fans + H80 = way more money than NH-D14 or similar top air cooler I did a lot of research looking around before i picked it up as i questioned how easy the AIO route really was. However now that i have it im very lad i went with it. Had i gone with a Evo or NH-D14 Evo is not even in same league as NH-D14 i wouldnt be able to use my high profile memory on my board so don't use high profile memory and i would also have to remove it whenever i wanted to get at my ram. Also after looking at reviews when u have amazing airflow (like in a bench setup) the air coolers generally perform similarly too the AIO's but when they're put in a closed case where airflow may not be ideal because of cable management or case size then the AIO's are a great solution. There many systems build with air coolers in cases that perform as good or better than AIO/CLC. The problem is most people don't understand how to cool a case properly
Bottom line u can get a good air cooler that will perform fine in a larger case with a mild to medium overclock and it will be a good price. Size of case has no relation to cooling ability of case.. and "mild to medium" overclock most get on air cooler are are 150% of stock cpu speed for about 75-80% the cost of CLC and new fans The AIO route is the perfect solution if ur looking to get some extra cooling if ur case is a tight fit and you dont have the room for a large air cooler because of space requirements around your motherboard.
post #27 of 38
So a fan is passive? No, seriously not.
And tower coolers rely on heatpipes, if overheated they fall back to 1/80 of their conductivity. AIO coolers = CLC, get that in your head dude
So you're asking us not to use high profile memory? Why can't we have a choice?
Big air coolers with poor installation will break PCBs, and on top of that it's rather scary to have a 1.3kg weight hanging off a poor socket
Don't know how to cool a case properly? What with like epic cable management that is oh so common and now you're asking people to install 67db Delta fans?
BIG cases have a real advantage, the difference between a HAF932 and HAF 912 is 5C. Yes 5C
Don't be a ********
"Mild to medium" Well you can't go above 5GHz on all cores on a piledriver air before you speak. That is mild to medium

You are being ignorant
And on top of that, while most cases can fit 120/140mm rads they can BARELY fit a 160mm tall tower cooler. That's the reality

And if you think i use a huge case, tell ya not. I'm a bencher
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

If you are going to test on an open bench however instead of focusing on what the actually temp numbers are it is better to focus on the Delta of the temp vs the ambient and % difference in delta between the coolers. With these numbers you are getting a closer to useful data set.

You are correct however case testing has an issue in the fact that cases each have different air flow characteristics and so the numbers can vary by quite a bit with just a case change.

To me the only temperature number that means anything is the Delta temperature. Problem is almost nobody give the air temperature going into cooler. The "ambient" temperature is specked as "room ambient".. somewhere in the room they are testing in.

And that's why I say all cooler testing should be done monitoring the air temperature at cooler intake, not some "ambient temp" taken somewhere else that may or may not be relevant to what the actual air temp going into cooler is.

Tower coolers usually ingest air near room temp if on a bench test rig... but not always. Down flow coolers don't. I tested the new Thermalright AXP-100 HTPC cooler and found 8c difference between fan pulling up away from mobo vs pushing down to mobo. Reason was RAM, GPU, I/O sockets were causing air to circle right back up and into cooler intake... even with a 140mm fan 30cm away and 12cm above mobo. I got a PM asking me why a French reviewer was getting 5-8c cooler temps with fan pulling. I spent several hours with remote temp sensors figuring out why. Now when I play around testing a cooler I don't even bother with room ambient. I monitor cooler intake.
post #29 of 38
first off i did respond to your staement about how easy they are to install, and in my opinion putting on a small water block then mounting a rad is much easir then dealing with a large tower cooler. And the reason behind me mentioning the Evo with the D14 isnt to say they are in the same class, im well aware they are not. what i was implying was that in my case with in a smaller mid tower that i could not have fit a decent air cooler because of spacing in which case the H80 was a great choice. For someone who is getting upset by people not responding to exactly what your saying you dont do a very good job of reading what my OPINION of coolers is.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

So a fan is passive? No, seriously not.
And tower coolers rely on heatpipes, if overheated they fall back to 1/80 of their conductivity. AIO coolers = CLC, get that in your head dude
I said "HEATPIPES ARE PASSIVE". They have no moving parts.[ /COLOR]
you just can't help yourself is showing how little you know.
Swiftech H220 AIO review. Please notice the easily removable plugs in radiator and the advantages of being able to expand your cooling to more components with this AIO cooler not CLC cooler.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/swiftech_h220_aio_review/1
So you're asking us not to use high profile memory? Why can't we have a choice?
I'm asking why you need high profile memory. Your choice to use it is none of my consern. But your using high profile memory as justification for not using air cooler and going water is not a valid argument. There is plenty of low and medium profile memory to be used that is just as good or better than high profile memory.
Big air coolers with poor installation will break PCBs, and on top of that it's rather scary to have a 1.3kg weight hanging off a poor socket
Don't know how to cool a case properly? What with like epic cable management that is oh so common and now you're asking people to install 67db Delta fans?
BIG cases have a real advantage, the difference between a HAF932 and HAF 912 is 5C. Yes 5C
Don't be a ********
"Mild to medium" Well you can't go above 5GHz on all cores on a piledriver air before you speak. That is mild to medium

You are being ignorant
And on top of that, while most cases can fit 120/140mm rads they can BARELY fit a 160mm tall tower cooler. That's the reality

No, that is you showing your lack of knowledge, stubborn refusal to read what is said and being very rude and confrontational. "I don't care what you really say cus I will interpret you post any way I can to refute what you say" and "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up" is what I keep seeing between your lines of text. You really need to read what I post and answer those statement. And do read the specs on cases so you have some idea of what coolers they will accommodate. Majority of new cases are at least 160-165mm cpu clearance and many now go well above 170mm cpu clearance. Many old cases will accomidate 160+mm coolers.
And if you think i use a huge case, tell ya not. I'm a bencher
Never said a word about what the size of your case is. I said "Size of case has no relation to cooling ability of case"

You repeatedly read what I say and respond accusing me of saying something else. Refusing to reply to posted statements is the problem... and only proves who is ignorant and who isn't. rolleyes.gif
Edited by doyll - 2/25/13 at 10:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › FX 8150 CPU COOLER! Help*