This build log was originally for my first watercooling build and I ended up building the computer with a rush job due to a moving situation I had and I couldn't do the build log properly. So now that I'm revamping this build I am re-awakening this build and going to document it properly. I built it really poorly the first time (as you'll see in pictures....) and I figured let me redo it and get my itch for upgrading out of the way too. Most of the components are new. Only a few things are being carried over like my fans and CPU block and a few other things. Also I am, for the first time ever, switching over to AMD for any component. Don't hate me my fellow nVIDIA brethren. Here it goes.
Calvin. This name is inspired by the comic series Calvin and Hobs.
Table of Contents:
- Original Post!
- Pictures of existing rig
- Just a few pictures till everything comes in
- CPU, Mobo, RAM, Rads, and a bunch of other stuff
Blue: Hyperlink to whatever it is I am talking about.
Red: New component I am not 100% about.
Green: New Component I'm set on.
Purple: Part from existing build.
- CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K. I find myself doing more photography and video editing and need the horsepower. Also planning on de-lidding this bad boy. Mmmm. Gonna be fun.
- Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV EXTREME. This was so I could fit the 4 7970s on the mobo.
- Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 2133MHz
- GPU - 4 x MSI 7970 Power Edition 3GB in QuadFire. I realize the SLi 680s that are watercooled are still very powerful but I figured I'd give these a try. And I'll be watercooling them.
- PSU - Lepa G1600 with Custom Sleeved Cables. I always wanted to custom sleeve some cables. Overkill powerwise I think but oh well. Gonna be a blast sleeving all of these cables....
- Case - MAGNUM STH10. Looks really sleek. I can fit in my custom waterloop so I'm not worried.
- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
- HDD1 - Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB 5900RPM. Gonna be used for movies and stuff.
- HDD2 - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM. Becoming my main HDD
- CPU Block - EK-Supreme LTX - Nickel CSQ
- GPU Block - 4 x EK-FC7970 Lightning - Acetal+Nickel and an EK-FC Bridge QUAD Semi-Parallel CSQ - Acetal
- Pump - Dual MCP35X Pumps
- Reservoir - Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Standalone Reservoir
- Radiators - XSPC RX240 Radiator (2 of them) and two XSPC RX480 Radiators
- Fittings - Bitspower Ultimate Compression Fitting - Matte Black and some EK 45 and 90 degree rotary adapters and a couple extenders
- Tubing - PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Clear (1/2" ID X 3/4" OD) (15 feet)
- Fans - Scythe Gentle Typhoons (Enough for Push/Pull on all four Rads)
- Coil and Biocide and Dye - IandH Silver KillCoils / IandH Dead-Water Copper Sulfate Biocidal / Mayhems Dye Deep Red
- Coolant - Distilled Water
- ODD - Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer
- OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)
- Monitor - Auria EQ276W. 1440p here I come. I had gotten this already so I am using it. Will have pics comparing side by side to the Samsung.
- Keyboard - SteelSeries Merc Stealth
- Mouse - R.A.T. 7 Black
- Sound Card - On board. With QuadFire I have no room for a sound card...or do I?
- TIM - Phobya HeGrease Extreme Thermal Paste and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.
- Sleeving - "Clean Cut" Black Sleeving from furryletters AKA Barry. Red Cable Sleeving from MDPC-X. Black USB and SATA sleeving from MDPC-X. Heatshrink and Tools from random places.
Well as you can see most of the components are for this build exclusively. Any critiques or comments are welcome!
Appreciation and Thanks:
- Thanks to nleksan, StijnDP, ShortAlieN, bigmac11, Schmuckley, theseekeroffun, and Michalius for helping me decide on what I needed and what was best. These thanks still apply to this build as much of the WCing info I got was gleaned from them.
- Thanks to cpachris's BBBB Build and evensen007's NZXT Switch 810 WC'ed Build for being great examples to follow.
Building and Sleeving.
Benchmarks and Stuff:
3DMark 11 - P14662
Unigine Heaven 4.0 - 76.5FPS: 1926 Score
As for the 680s with waterblocks. I'll be putting at least one of them towards my 2nd Annual Giveaway (probably going to be in summer as opposed to Christmas time. When else would WCing be preferred?). Be sure you don't miss that.
Edited by Shion314 - 3/30/13 at 3:16pm