Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Youtube] What Most Schools Don't Teach
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Youtube] What Most Schools Don't Teach - Page 27  

post #261 of 276
I'd say kids would learn more if the nation spent more on hands on learning, rather than theory.

I flunked algebra tests as a kid, but when explaining how an image is rendered on multiple screens to a friend, I used an algebraic equation to help make it easier for him to understand. I used differential calculus to argue evolution in a debate, yet I never took a class. When you use them logically, formulas make much more sense.


Teach kids to reason, not simply to think.

Teach kids to have a foundation where they have the ability to learn, not simply teaching them concepts.

Coding is an abstract art. Learning how to code does not make someone smart. Giving someone the ability to figure out how to code would make someone smart.

There is no more foundation teaching any more. Mathematics is getting more and more abstract. There is no logic. Very few people choose engineering majors any more, it's all paper money (litigation and the like).
Main System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 560 @ 4.00Ghz Asus EVO USB3.0 GTX 670 8 GB 1600 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB, 80GB Raptor, 1 TB 7200 RPM, ... LG Zalman CNPS 9700 Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 23" HP ZR30w Razer Black Widow Ultimate Edition Corsair TX650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T Special Edition (White) Razer Imperator 4G Absent Asus Xonar DS, Sony STR-DH720 Reciever , Sennhi... 
  hide details  
Main System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 560 @ 4.00Ghz Asus EVO USB3.0 GTX 670 8 GB 1600 Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB, 80GB Raptor, 1 TB 7200 RPM, ... LG Zalman CNPS 9700 Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 23" HP ZR30w Razer Black Widow Ultimate Edition Corsair TX650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T Special Edition (White) Razer Imperator 4G Absent Asus Xonar DS, Sony STR-DH720 Reciever , Sennhi... 
  hide details  
post #262 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post

Coding is too specific of a thing to use to teach "how to think". A mandatory logic and possibly debate course will do that without bringing along the unnecessary computing aspect into it. Logic and mathematics directly teaches how to think as they are both pure reason. Coding is just one of the many applications of it.

And I'm fervently for the teaching of pure mathematics (instead of memorization-based dumbed-down problems about trains speeds and ladder angles) from a very early age, so nice straw man attempt there.

Except.... virtually every modern device in the future will have an embedded computer and IP address. (Internet of Everything and 3D printing will change the world.)

Coding will allow people to directly interact with every day objects. Most people learn best from seeing the benefits directly and interacting rather than the abstract.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
post #263 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Those are careers though. Everyone should understand the process of problem solving.... I guaranteed this skill is required for life!

Correct... but if everything in the future has an IPv6 address.... you may want to educate yourself what that at least means? Having a basic understand of everything you use is never a bad thing.

i.e. So much of office work could be automated..... If I do anything more than a few times at work.... I code it. I work with trading operations.... I'm like why don't you just write macros to do your work? You could save 4-8 hours of repetative work a week.....

Not everyone can understand computer science proficiently. Yeah they can write hello world programs, but can they do anything else? Although this is just anecdotal evidence, i've seen many people drop out of computer science because they couldn't wrap their head around the logic. And I'm talking about basic things like arrays, pointers, loops, and functions. I can guarantee you that there are more computer science drop outs as a percentage than english major dropouts.

For the average person, I would say knowing about IPV6 addresses is pretty useless. It's not a bad thing, but the person could have been doing something more useful than studying something which they will never use. That's just inefficient. Also, if everyone in the future has computers and cell phones, should those average people also understand chip fabrication, photolitography, and chemistry? No, that would be a waste because the normal job doesn't require you to apply that knowledge, or they might as well become engineers. Just because you use it doesn't mean you should understand it. The point of the other people on this thread was that regular classroom material isn't being taught well, and should be focused on before additional classes like computer science are added. Also, one of the main goals of computer science, especially object oriented languages, is to encapsulate data and functions, and thus blackbox what's going on since that makes things easier and faster. No need to reinvent the wheel, or re understand the wheel, unless its relevant to your job.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
post #264 of 276
Honestly I tried to force myself to learn how to code because I was in Game Design about 4 times and coding is just too boring in my opinion and definitely not for everyone.

What schools SHOULD be teaching is kids how to meditate and more about psychology and how to be happy without having a smart phone.

But due to human ignorance and delusion, this will never happen.
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
post #265 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

Honestly I tried to force myself to learn how to code because I was in Game Design about 4 times and coding is just too boring in my opinion and definitely not for everyone.

What schools SHOULD be teaching is kids how to meditate and more about psychology and how to be happy without having a smart phone.

But due to human ignorance and delusion, this will never happen.


Rofl meditation, Yeah that's gonna help. /sarcasm
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 980M @ 1470mhz 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
post #266 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Except.... virtually every modern device in the future will have an embedded computer and IP address. (Internet of Everything and 3D printing will change the world.)

Coding will allow people to directly interact with every day objects. Most people learn best from seeing the benefits directly and interacting rather than the abstract.

Yes, and just like now, people in the field will be doing the coding and the technical work and the consumers of the devices will be interacting with them by pressing buttons and swiping screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck69 View Post

I don't believe that quote implies to the subject of this thread. And, honestly, whoever said that is retarded. Let me explain...

The point of this thread was to discuss a gap in our nation's education program. Education that plants information in the minds of young people. It is then up to the people to do what they will with what they have been given. I totally agree that there are some subjects that should be offered. But I don't believe they should be mandatory. That's my personal opinion. Now as for this quote. Civilization does NOT advance because we can make light with the flip of a switch or make a phone call with voice commands. Extending the list of things we can do subconsciously also fails to advance anything. The PEOPLE who make these ideas, or technology, a reality... that is who advances society. And without offering the knowledge of ALL things to our young people in their education we seriously limit the possibility of creative design.

On that note, dogmatic and biased teachings of history in our public schools is also a negative thing. We need to teach the truth so that young minds learn a little thing called critical thinking.

I agree with you on the on-topic part.

But you misunderstood the quote. He's talking about a marker for gauging how advanced people are. The more complex things we are able to achieve without having to put thought and effort into it is an estimate of how far we have come. For example, the entire public being able to communicate with anyone across the world by the press of a button without having to even think about the cascade of complex events we put into motion by that mere button press. Of course the inventors and pioneers are who enable civilization to reach that level. Whitehead was far, far from being "retarded."
Edited by Faraz - 3/9/13 at 9:41pm
Taijin Kyofusho
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Crucial Ballistix Elite 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB MyDigitalSSD 960GB NZXT Kraken X61 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro LG 34UC88-B Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red Corsair RM750x 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT S340 Corsair Sabre RGB HiVi Swans M10 
  hide details  
Taijin Kyofusho
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Crucial Ballistix Elite 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB MyDigitalSSD 960GB NZXT Kraken X61 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro LG 34UC88-B Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red Corsair RM750x 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT S340 Corsair Sabre RGB HiVi Swans M10 
  hide details  
post #267 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Rofl meditation, Yeah that's gonna help. /sarcasm

Meditation teaches you how to be content with what you have and where you're at and learn to accept things a long with being happy.

It also has been scientifically proven to show many benefits physically & mentally so you might want to look into it more before just laughing at something that you don't understand at all or have looked into at all.
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
post #268 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

Honestly I tried to force myself to learn how to code because I was in Game Design about 4 times and coding is just too boring in my opinion and definitely not for everyone.

What schools SHOULD be teaching is kids how to meditate and more about psychology and how to be happy without having a smart phone.

But due to human ignorance and delusion, this will never happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Rofl meditation, Yeah that's gonna help. /sarcasm
meditation is never gonna happen, its one step from getting into weed, and TPTB need servants who work, not bummers who sit and meditate tongue.gif
yup coding is not for everyone but you dont see companies stepping on each other necks to hire meditation gurus, do you smile.gif

how to be happy without having a smart phone.
I concede ... I had to buy myself a galaxy s3, my 6 year old monochrome nokia for 40eur was no longer making me happy smile.gif

best
revro
post #269 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post

This is just a bias where some of us are taking what we're interested (or marginally interested) in and insisting it on others. The plumber could just as well say everyone needs mandatory plumbing classes in middle school.

+Repped for this comment. I couldn't agree more.

I honestly think a "techie" environment like this is the only place that mandatory coding in schools could even be considered. As a computer science student myself, seeing other students who were actually interested in coding drop courses or change majors once realizing it was not for them, I cannot even begin to imagine what teaching a classroom full of young boys and girls who were required to take the course would be like.
post #270 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by revro View Post


meditation is never gonna happen, its one step from getting into weed, and TPTB need servants who work, not bummers who sit and meditate tongue.gif
yup coding is not for everyone but you dont see companies stepping on each other necks to hire meditation gurus, do you smile.gif

how to be happy without having a smart phone.
I concede ... I had to buy myself a galaxy s3, my 6 year old monochrome nokia for 40eur was no longer making me happy smile.gif

best
revro

If you really think about it even coding and coming up with technology is as "productive" as meditating if even less so as we're not as close to finding true peace or happiness only further away with more things such as smart phones.

So people that code all day and work 24/7 too can also be called bummers as what are they really doing with their life? Just manipulating more matter instead of trying to find true peace, happiness, and love & kindness for all beings while trying to find the truth within reality itself?

There lies within the whole problem that you have to "do" something or else you're considered a bum. If you don't work a 40 hours slave week and hope to live to 70 without dying (lucky) and retire off some pension and enjoy materialistic things while you're old and close to death not to mention all that you did while you worked was contribute to a society of greed & delusion and making more technology and fostering more suffering (sweat shops, animal slaughter farms, etc etc) than you're considered a bum by the average person.

All that coding and technology is doing is manipulating what already exists which will only be based around the 5 senses anyways.

Also, smoking weed or doing any drugs has nothing to do with meditation. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, or intake any drugs and so do many other people that meditate.

I know that ever since I started to meditate I started to become more content with that I have and had less craving and therefore suffered less a long with it getting away from me wanting to make games or learn how to code as I saw both of those things for what they truly are and could not handle the boredom nor pointlessness that comes from coding and/or making games a long with most things in general.
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Youtube] What Most Schools Don't Teach