Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TheVerge] Time Warner Cable says there's no consumer demand for gigabit internet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TheVerge] Time Warner Cable says there's no consumer demand for gigabit internet - Page 8

post #71 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis158 View Post

Its not about Utilizing the connection 100% of the time. One of the points google is trying to get accross to the other ISPs is that when you have everyone connected at a rate like 1Gbit, Your overall network traffic and load is reduced because all of your user's data spends less time waiting on the network.
On my ~1.3Mbit connection, If i download a 3.5GB Windows ISO, im putting Load on My ISP's network for a minimum of 4-6 hours. whereas on a 1Gbit connection, you reduce that time to about 30 seconds. A smart ISP should look at that as a much better option.....

Of course, if you're a business it makes sense...However, even in a house of 5 people, with 3 gaming at the same time, you still haven't exceeded 20 down 5 up...Not by a longshot.

It's actually NOT a better option because 3/4 of america's comm lines aren't capable of handling 1gb to begin with.

You have to look at this from the scope of what's realistic and what's not.

This is not realistic because the infrastructure isn't there and even if it was, it wouldn't be wholly utilized by the AVERAGE person.
post #72 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

ok, Now, please show me where is say's that Google Fiber has cost our local government "millions of tax dollor's".

I'm not going to hold your hand and spoon feed you everything.

If you think that free buildings, free electricity, free computers, free technical personnel, free access to the already installed fiber optic network the city put in place, etc, etc, etc doesn't cost millions, you are delusional.

It cost HUGE amounts of money to install fiber optic cable in a city under streets.

But here is a bone for you: http://www.itscosts.its.dot.gov/its/benecost.nsf/UnitCosts?OpenForm&Cost

Forget the right of way costs, just look at the cost per foot for multi-more OUTDOOR fiber optic cable ... then multiple that by the number of feet needed to wire a city.

http://www.eaccu-tech.com/outdoor/

http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/c/Fiber_Optic_Outdoor_Cables.html


If you don't think JUST THAT alone costs millions, you are seriously underestimating the cost of things and further discussions on this topic with you are beyond pointless.
post #73 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Of course, if you're a business it makes sense...However, even in a house of 5 people, with 3 gaming at the same time, you still haven't exceeded 20 down 5 up...Not by a longshot.

It's actually NOT a better option because 3/4 of america's comm lines aren't capable of handling 1gb to begin with.

You have to look at this from the scope of what's realistic and what's not.

This is not realistic because the infrastructure isn't there and even if it was, it wouldn't be wholly utilized by the AVERAGE person.

The backbones could handle it fine, but you are correct in that most of the last mile delivery systems aren't capable of offering such speeds. This is where you have to look at the money side of things and see whats really going on.
ISP's in the USA make more money than any of the others in the rest of the developed world, but they also use alot more of that money to give large bonuses to their shareholders and board.
The USA has the largest Debt of any developed nation, yet our infrastructure as a whole is falling far behind that of other developed nations.
The problem isn't anything to do with the lack of money, its the fact that it isn't going to the right places, and if that doesnt change soon, we are going to end up paying for it BIG someday.
post #74 of 326
I think there's no demand because they're probably charging ridiculous prices for it. Just from a quick look at their website they're charging more than Google gigabit for only 50mbps. rolleyes.gif (not including google's $300 installation fee)
 
Work Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 4.5GHz  Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 1TB F3 + Crucial M500 256GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro Cooler Master Novatouch TKL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V1000 600T SE Roccat Kone XTD Steel Series 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Rampage III Gene 2x EVGA GTX 680 SLI 24gb HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
960GB Crucial M500 Intel Stock Windows 7 64bit Enterprise HP ZR2440w + Z24i 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Brown Antec TP-750 Antec Sonata 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Work Rig
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 4.5GHz  Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 1TB F3 + Crucial M500 256GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro Cooler Master Novatouch TKL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master V1000 600T SE Roccat Kone XTD Steel Series 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Rampage III Gene 2x EVGA GTX 680 SLI 24gb HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
960GB Crucial M500 Intel Stock Windows 7 64bit Enterprise HP ZR2440w + Z24i 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Brown Antec TP-750 Antec Sonata 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis158 View Post

The USA has the largest Debt of any developed nation, yet our infrastructure as a whole is falling far behind that of other developed nations.

The problem isn't anything to do with the lack of money, its the fact that it isn't going to the right places, and if that doesnt change soon, we are going to end up paying for it BIG someday.

THIS!

So much this it isn't even funny.
post #76 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I'm not going to hold your hand and spoon feed you everything.

If you think that free buildings, free electricity, free computers, free technical personnel, free access to the already installed fiber optic network the city put in place, etc, etc, etc doesn't cost millions, you are delusional.

It cost HUGE amounts of money to install fiber optic cable in a city under streets.

But here is a bone for you: http://www.itscosts.its.dot.gov/its/benecost.nsf/UnitCosts?OpenForm&Cost

Forget the right of way costs, just look at the cost per foot for multi-more OUTDOOR fiber optic cable ... then multiple that by the number of feet needed to wire a city.

http://www.eaccu-tech.com/outdoor/

http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/c/Fiber_Optic_Outdoor_Cables.html


If you don't think JUST THAT alone costs millions, you are seriously underestimating the cost of things and further discussions on this topic with you are beyond pointless.

Kind of odd. I can't find a single figure anywhere about how much Tax Money Google has cost us local Kansas Tax Pay's, and I live here!
I see you are reading all kind's of stuff, some of it sensationalist reporting and then adding in a bunch of assumptions.

I can tell you that locally we could not afford to lose millions in tax money, Its not there and if google was actually cost us as much as you claim it would have sparked a riot.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

ok, Now, please show me where is say's that Google Fiber has cost our local government "millions of tax dollor's".

I'm not going to hold your hand and spoon feed you everything.

If you think that free buildings, free electricity, free computers, free technical personnel, free access to the already installed fiber optic network the city put in place, etc, etc, etc doesn't cost millions, you are delusional.

It cost HUGE amounts of money to install fiber optic cable in a city under streets.

But here is a bone for you: http://www.itscosts.its.dot.gov/its/benecost.nsf/UnitCosts?OpenForm&Cost

Forget the right of way costs, just look at the cost per foot for multi-more OUTDOOR fiber optic cable ... then multiple that by the number of feet needed to wire a city.

http://www.eaccu-tech.com/outdoor/

http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/c/Fiber_Optic_Outdoor_Cables.html


If you don't think JUST THAT alone costs millions, you are seriously underestimating the cost of things and further discussions on this topic with you are beyond pointless.

It also costs taxpayers quite a ridiculous amount of money to pay for your local government's CURRENT internet connections. Take it as you please, but my brother works at code enforcement for the city of Miami, and told me their internet costs are nuts, as in several thousand dollars per month per division, not even per building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

The argument about Google getting "free" treatment from the government is old and tired. Suck it up. The government didn't give anything away for free. There is definitely more to it than no money involved. Have any of you considered the slight possibility that Google agreed to provide the local government free fiber service for life? Sounds like your tax money is going to a much better purpose now, doesn't it? I'd much rather have my tax money go towards development of an amazing technological advancement than feeding Time Warner/etc. more money, because your taxes are paying for your government's internet connections anyways.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

Kind of odd. I can't find a single figure anywhere about how much Tax Money Google has cost us local Kansas Tax Pay's, and I live here!

That's ok. I know lots of people who live in Washington DC and they don't have the first clue as to how much money is spent on maintaining sewer pipes and yet the information is out there and it costs millions as well.

Just because you can't find it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Here is some more light reading for you if you are interested:

Will Google Fiber Waste $28 Billion?

As far as tax dollars: KC's sky-high debt: Paying a big price for falling behind
Quote:
Kansas City’s overall outstanding government debt of $2.32 billion works out to $5,028 owed by every resident. That’s the second highest load when stacked up against 10 other peer cities (see chart).

...

Even after borrowing billions of dollars, the city has had to slash its basic services the last few years, has failed to maintain many roads and bridges and still has lots of expensive projects on its to-do list.

You can bet some of that $2.32 billion deals with all that fiber the city bought and paid for, and it now just turning over to Google.
Edited by 47 Knucklehead - 2/28/13 at 7:30am
post #79 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

That's ok. I know lots of people who live in Washington DC and they don't have the first clue as to how much money is spent on maintaining sewer pipes and yet the information is out there and it costs millions as well.

Just because you can't find it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Here is some more light reading for you if you are interested:

Will Google Fiber Waste $28 Billion?

Other then the fact that, that article is heavily slanted and a bit inaccurate, it does raise some good points.

It's inaccurate because nobody but Google, to this day, actually knows how much revenue this is generating, at all.

Their proposed plan deviated heavily because most of Kansas's infrastructure was total crap - I know a guy that was laying the line and they actually had to re-do MOST of the EXISTING infrastructure.

According to what I've gathered, they're in the green...They ARE making a profit but, it's not as much of a profit as Charter/Cox/AT&T/Verizon make by ripping people off monthly but, it is a profit.
post #80 of 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Actually, this is true.

Most of you can't even utilize 20 down 5 up...Much less a gigabyte...

Lol. Gigabit is 1000 BITs, not BYTES. Either way, point taken.

If people don't need 1000/1000, anything faster than 20/5 is a waste?

My family is a big media consumer. Vudu HDX consumes somewhere around 12 or 15Mb/s for their 1080P streams of movies. Our 12Mb/s down can't even support that reliably so I can't stream 1080P movies with any reliable quality, and Netflix 720P looks atrocious. We have 4 laptops, 2 desktop PCs, 4 smartphones, a tablet, an XBOX 360, a Wii, and my HT receiver.

With Steam downloading at 1.3MB/s (megaBYTES, the entire 12Mb/s stream to the house), my network is saturated for a couple hours for a single game download. During that time, the entire house is complaining about the slow internet because their devices are unusable (Steam should have a speed limiter, but that argument is for another day). If somebody gets on YouTube and starts watching HD videos, you can immediately feel it when browsing, once 2 people are on YouTube watching HD, the network is saturated.

My upload is 1Mb/s = 1MB/s = 128kb/s (that's the bitrate of a low quality mp3). That means that if I want to upload a YouTube video, files to my Google Drive account, or do anything that requires upload, my upload stream is saturated for a couple hours, once again bringing the network to a standstill, and the family is complaining again.

I don't need (I do want) 1000/1000, but a solid 250/50 would be great. Paying $50/month for 12/1 is ridiculous, but our other option is Charter, who offers better speeds at the same price, but it's painfully unreliable in my area.

I would appreciate a subsidy for Google to roll out fiber (not necessarily 1Gb/s) to the rest of the country. Without getting political, I'd rather my taxes be put towards infrastructure (fiber rollout) than be flushed down the toilet.
 
Alienware 14
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4700mq Alienware Nvidia GTX765m 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 500GB DVD Windows 8 14" 1080P IPS 
Power
150W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Alienware 14
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4700mq Alienware Nvidia GTX765m 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 500GB DVD Windows 8 14" 1080P IPS 
Power
150W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TheVerge] Time Warner Cable says there's no consumer demand for gigabit internet