Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNET] Samsung hires judge who ruled against Apple as legal expert
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNET] Samsung hires judge who ruled against Apple as legal expert - Page 4

post #31 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrous View Post

You don't think the fact that the company he ruled in favour of hired him, might give him a slight bias, no?
a justified bias.
post #32 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezman View Post

I would hire a retired judge who ruled in my favor. He clearly has valuable legal experience and sides with my "views."

I see no issue with that.

As long as Samsung didn't offer him any job or compensation before or during the trial. Then he, nor Samsung, have done anything unethical or illegal.

Obviously nothing illegal, at least not in the UK.

The problem with allowing this is you are opening the door for rampant legal corruption. Now all Samsung has to do is offer every judge that rules in their favor a lucrative position, and they are legally bribing judges. Sure it won't work on every one, but just working on one could make the difference in billion dollar (or pound tongue.gif) settlements. That meets your requirement of never actually communicating anything to the Judge beforehand, while still leading to a corrupted system. The only way to prevent this is to block judges from working for companies that they've been involved in "high profile" cases for. I am sure the judge will not go hungry if he can't work for Samsung.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 95
It's a common problem, doesn't matter wether or not Samsung bribed him or not. Judges should not be able to work for any company that they've passed ruling upon. Simply because the possibility of biased actions even if they're motivated by a one-sided hope or an unspoken but implied promise of monetary reward
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 95
Though the morals of the judge are "flawed" given the past relation, I don't see anything wrong with it given it's on a different case.

However, I don't find him to be in the wrong either.

Three things drive humans to do everything they do, and one of them is money.
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post

she obviously had a grudge against them

I don't think she has a grudge against Samsung. The is the exact mentality that is wrong with this forum that MrLime pointed out.

-Person rules in favour of Samsung, everything's fine.
-Person rules against Samsung, it's some sort of vendetta.
Quote:
i dont think she would have taken the job even if they offered her one to be frank

She wouldn't accept $150,000+ as a retirement side job? Join reality dude.
Quote:
why in the world would a company hire lawyers that wants to ruin them?

Judges don't want to ruin big companies at all, it's them who justify their immensely high salaries. My point was highlighting why -I suspect- they hired him. I didn't mean that Samsung should hire Lucy Koh, you really need to read properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

The problem with allowing this is you are opening the door for rampant legal corruption. Now all Samsung has to do is offer every judge that rules in their favor a lucrative position, and they are legally bribing judges. Sure it won't work on every one, but just working on one could make the difference in billion dollar (or pound tongue.gif) settlements. That meets your requirement of never actually communicating anything to the Judge beforehand, while still leading to a corrupted system. The only way to prevent this is to block judges from working for companies that they've been involved in "high profile" cases for. I am sure the judge will not go hungry if he can't work for Samsung.

Because they've already having shown themselves doing that, it's a form of assumed bribery almost to those involved. They don't even have to be offered the job, they can just see that it's happened before and think that their ruling may result in a fortune in a year or so.
Mendeleev
(16 items)
 
Bohr
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K Asrock Z87 Extreme4M Asus Direct-CUII HD7970 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 16GB (4x4) 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F1 2TB Toshiba 7K3000.D 3TB The cheapest one 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro Dell U2312HM Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX Black Edition 750W Modular Corsair 350D Razer Naga Razer Goliathus 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4702MQ Nvidia GTX 760M 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz 128GB Sandisk SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorAudio
750GB Samsung HDD Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit 14" 1600x900 panel Crap 
  hide details  
Reply
Mendeleev
(16 items)
 
Bohr
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K Asrock Z87 Extreme4M Asus Direct-CUII HD7970 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 16GB (4x4) 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD Samsung Spinpoint F1 2TB Toshiba 7K3000.D 3TB The cheapest one 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Windows 8 Pro Dell U2312HM Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
XFX Black Edition 750W Modular Corsair 350D Razer Naga Razer Goliathus 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4702MQ Nvidia GTX 760M 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz 128GB Sandisk SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorAudio
750GB Samsung HDD Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit 14" 1600x900 panel Crap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrous View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post

How? he got hired after..not before..its not a dumb move, why wouldn't samsung hire someone with decades of experience in law? given the opportunity.

There are thousands of them. Why didn't they hire Judge Lucy Koh? Because she never ruled in their favour.

She is still serving and is going to Appfool any way.

This kind of thing is not uncommon,this judge showed common sense and perhaps is more tech savvy than the rest,his understanding of the law is without question.
Smart move by Samsung,once the judge has served his garden leave then he can do what he wants.
Legal advice is legal advice,nothing more...
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
Reply
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Tea Party anyone? biggrin.gif

I hope you're using the Tea Party as an example of corruption and not calling me a Tea Partier. If it's the former, yes, it's a great example of a now corrupt lobbying group, though not exactly relevant to the discussion at hand. If it's the latter, you really need to learn how to argue instead of resorting to logical fallacies to try and discredit arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

It's a common problem, doesn't matter wether or not Samsung bribed him or not. Judges should not be able to work for any company that they've passed ruling upon. Simply because the possibility of biased actions even if they're motivated by a one-sided hope or an unspoken but implied promise of monetary reward

Exactly. If a large portion of judges who are about to retire are hired by the company they rule in favor of after they retire, an implicit contract is established. While nothing is stated in the course of the trial, the judge can expect to be hired as a consultant by the winning party after the trial, thus making any ruling unethical, unprofessional, and not grounded in the law, but in who they think will pay the most.
Edited by nubbinator - 2/28/13 at 4:33pm
Work in Progress
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 Windforce G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Chronos  WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Black Lite-On iHas 124 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH236H Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Fractal Design Arc Midi Mionix Naos 5000 Ratpadz XT 
AudioAudio
HT Omega Striker Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
Work in Progress
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 Windforce G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Chronos  WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Black Lite-On iHas 124 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH236H Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Fractal Design Arc Midi Mionix Naos 5000 Ratpadz XT 
AudioAudio
HT Omega Striker Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post

I hope you're using the Tea Party as an example of corruption and not calling me a Tea Partier. If it's the former, yes, it's a great example of a now corrupt lobbying group, though not exactly relevant to the discussion at hand. If it's the latter, you really need to learn how to argue instead of resorting to logical fallacies to try and discredit arguments.

Or he's referring to the actual Boston Tea Party, not the current political group tongue.gif. That makes a lot more sense.
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
SUPERPWN
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Asus z87-Pro MSI GTX 1080 Aero 32GB DDR3 Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
4TB Seagate Windows 8 x64 Overlord x270 OC HP ZR27 
MonitorKeyboardPowerAudio
Asus PG279Q G-Tune Topre Realforce 800w Yulong D100 DAC with Denon D7000 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post

I hope you're using the Tea Party as an example of corruption and not calling me a Tea Partier. If it's the former, yes, it's a great example of a now corrupt lobbying group, though not exactly relevant to the discussion at hand. If it's the latter, you really need to learn how to argue instead of resorting to logical fallacies to try and discredit arguments.

No, I'm talking about the original meaning of the word ... aka Boston Tea Party ... one of the key moments in American history when the people finally grew sick and tired of a corrupt UK government and revolted against their oppressors.
post #40 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Tea Party anyone? biggrin.gif

I hope you're using the Tea Party as an example of corruption and not calling me a Tea Partier. If it's the former, yes, it's a great example of a now corrupt lobbying group, though not exactly relevant to the discussion at hand. If it's the latter, you really need to learn how to argue instead of resorting to logical fallacies to try and discredit arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

It's a common problem, doesn't matter wether or not Samsung bribed him or not. Judges should not be able to work for any company that they've passed ruling upon. Simply because the possibility of biased actions even if they're motivated by a one-sided hope or an unspoken but implied promise of monetary reward

Exactly. If a large portion of judges who are about to retire are hired by the company they rule in favor of after they retire, an implicit contract is established. While nothing is stated in the course of the trial, the judge can expect to be hired as a consultant by the winning party after the trial, thus making any ruling unethical, unprofessional, and not grounded in the law, but in who they think will pay the most.

What rubbish,you are making a lot of assumptions,how do you know that the EX judge didn't set himself up as a legal advisor on retirement from being a judge and was then approached by Samsung?
Once he is retired,he can do as he pleases,making cloak and dagger comments of a sinister plot to pervert justice are laughable.
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
Reply
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNET] Samsung hires judge who ruled against Apple as legal expert