Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Defective 8350?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Defective 8350?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I have an 8350 here that seems work perfectly. However, when I load it to 100% in prime 95 blend, it will automatically reboot itself after a random amount of time. Now, I'm not a novice user, I have "automatic restart" set to off under advanced Windows options. So it's a power delivery issue (or overheating). Hardware used with this processor:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
8GB G.Skill 1866
Enermax NAXN+ 750W (Also tested with a RW Green series 630W, my spare test unit, to rule out the power supply).
GTX 470

Temps never exceeded 48C on the package temp at 1.4V (The stock voltage, which is too high I know). I also tested at 1.35V and got a maximum temperature of 38C! at max prime load. So if it's a temp problem, then I'd be surprised.

The funny thing is that I've never once seen an error on any of the cores, not even after my 11 hour successful prime run...I tested again that night thinking I had fixed the problem, and it rebooted within two hours. Completely random.

I suspected the motherboard at first, because under Prime95 the Vcore reading kept dropping like a rock to only around 1.2V, no matter what voltage or LLC settings I selected in BIOS. However, I don't see how it's the board considering it handled my Phenom II 955 C2 at a 3.6Ghz overclock just fine, and the voltages were stable as a rock. I know the 8350 draws around 180W, and I don't think that's that far off from what my Phenom was consuming at those clocks.

So before I send it back to Newegg, what do you guys think?

I should also note that the 11 hour successful prime run was at 1.35V, and that when I was watching CPU-Z, the core clock kept throttling down to 3200mhz randomly, even after I turned "hardware thermal control" or what ever it's called off under BIOS.
Edited by ice445 - 2/28/13 at 5:03pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post

I have an 8350 here that seems work perfectly. However, when I load it to 100% in prime 95 blend, it will automatically reboot itself after a random amount of time. Now, I'm not a novice user, I have "automatic restart" set to off under advanced Windows options. So it's a power delivery issue (or overheating). Hardware used with this processor:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
8GB G.Skill 1866
Enermax NAXN+ 750W (Also tested with a RW Green series 630W, my spare test unit, to rule out the power supply).
GTX 470

Temps never exceeded 48C on the package temp at 1.4V (The stock voltage, which is too high I know). I also tested at 1.35V and got a maximum temperature of 38C! at max prime load. So if it's a temp problem, then I'd be surprised.

The funny thing is that I've never once seen an error on any of the cores, not even after my 11 hour successful prime run...I tested again that night thinking I had fixed the problem, and it rebooted within two hours. Completely random.

I suspected the motherboard at first, because under Prime95 the Vcore reading kept dropping like a rock to only around 1.2V, no matter what voltage or LLC settings I selected in BIOS. However, I don't see how it's the board considering it handled my Phenom II 955 C2 at a 3.6Ghz overclock just fine, and the voltages were stable as a rock. I know the 8350 draws around 180W, and I don't think that's that far off from what my Phenom was consuming at those clocks.

So before I send it back to Newegg, what do you guys think?

I should also note that the 11 hour successful prime run was at 1.35V, and that when I was watching CPU-Z, the core clock kept throttling down to 3200mhz randomly, even after I turned "hardware thermal control" or what ever it's called off under BIOS.

could be ram FX sometimes is picky with ram.

try relaxing timings more, see if it stops?

don't know what ram your using here?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
I was using my set of G.Skill Sniper 1866 RAM. I've since moved it to my 3570K system. How could the RAM speed being too high cause the system to reboot though? I raised CPU-NB voltage to see if it was just a weak IMC, but no dice. Still rebooted within 2-4 hours.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post

I was using my set of G.Skill Sniper 1866 RAM. I've since moved it to my 3570K system. How could the RAM speed being too high cause the system to reboot though? I raised CPU-NB voltage to see if it was just a weak IMC, but no dice. Still rebooted within 2-4 hours.

I said timings not speed.

I've got G.skill flares that 2000mhz 9-10-9-32 and their fine on my Phenom II x6 1090T where unstable on an FX 8120.

I couldn't run them a 1866mhz at 9-10-9 or 9-9-9.

so I ended up running them at 1600mhz.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
They're at 9-10-9-28, 2T. How were they unstable on your 8120? I guess I could try my old 1600 CL9 ram with it, but that's pretty crap if I can't run the RAM at what it's rated to run at. I guess I'm a bit spoiled though, my 3570 is just plug and chug with this memory and my Phenom 2 had a magical IMC for being a C2. I could run 4 sticks of 1600 RAM with the NB at 2600mhz with only a slight voltage bump.
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice445 View Post

They're at 9-10-9-28, 2T. How were they unstable on your 8120? I guess I could try my old 1600 CL9 ram with it, but that's pretty crap if I can't run the RAM at what it's rated to run at. I guess I'm a bit spoiled though, my 3570 is just plug and chug with this memory and my Phenom 2 had a magical IMC for being a C2. I could run 4 sticks of 1600 RAM with the NB at 2600mhz with only a slight voltage bump.

I had second issues with my video card didn't like my theme it Phases where over heating, plus it was hogging ram.

next ram would just cause random reboots after like 5 hours of just browsing or after I played a game.

if your still getting reboot after changing that then yup probably a bad board.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 19
I thought there was an issue with FX processors and Prime95?
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
What issue?
post #9 of 19
I have been trying to find the thread but I remember seeing a few folks discussing Prime failures due to a issue between the software and the FX CPUs. I think that is depending on which version of Prime being used however. I'll post up if I can find it.
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 19
IMHO it is the motherboard. How can you expect to be stable at 1.2? The FX is completely different than Phenoms. It draws much more power at stock already. The fact that the CPU throttles, screams "OCP kicking in" to protect VRM from overheating.

Just my 2 cents.

GA-970A-UD3 8+2 Yes 140W Yes No Yes YES 8 pin ATX Throttling at 90C

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Maybe you should try put a fan blow to your VRM and see what happens? But as i said, you expect it to be stable at 1.2v? I undervolt all my CPUs and i can't even get my less power thirsty Thuban to run stable at 1.2v. Maybe you should also fiddle more with your LLC settings.

In the link above, you will even find "140W" motherboards that can't handle the FX at stock. Forget what you knew about the Phenoms. ASrock, which isn't famous for her power delivery, boosted 35A to the socket in order to be able to run the FX.

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/2011am3+/

That's a lot of current, which the Phenoms didn't need, but the FXs do.
Edited by Undervolter - 3/4/13 at 11:16am
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(16 items)
 
Dedicated Encoder
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320@4Ghz Gigabyte 970 UD3P rev2.1 Gainward GTX 750Ti Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Crucial BX100 250GB Western Digital Green 2TB LiteOn Blu-Ray Burner IHBS 112-2 LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Katana 3 Windows 7 Pro 64bit ASUS 22" VS228HR Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 430W Sharkoon VG4-V Logitech M90 Onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Asrock 970 Extreme3 HIS 6570 Silence Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) CAS9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M6S 128GB Toshiba 2TB SATAIII LiteOn Blu Ray burner IHBS 112-2 Xigmatek Balder 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung S22B350H Microsoft Wired 600 Corsair VS350 
CaseMouseAudio
Lepa LPC 306 Logitech M90 Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Defective 8350?