Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GR] Witcher 3 Screenshots Released!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GR] Witcher 3 Screenshots Released! - Page 7

post #61 of 76
The original Witcher was a sleeper hit. Very few people knew about it, and at the time console gaming was a huge thing. Witcher 2 came out for pcs, and then when it was ready for consoles. I love the witcher series, and will throw money to cdpr blindly for any product that they release simply for the way that they treat their customers. Free updates and dlc to the enhanced edition, removal of drm and not having the disc in the drive to play. Great company. I am sure that if CDPR made a mindless fps shooter that it would be the best and sell billions of copies, but they want to make a quality in depth rpg that is meant for adults who are mature. While that may not sell as big, hopefully the audience will grow, it is a much better and more refined playing experience. Skyrim is a great game that is full of adventure and the ability to get lost in. But it has the most generic storyline in the world, heck all the elder scrolls games start out the same, you are in jail and about to be executed, and then you are free and you can explore stuff. People don't play skyrim for the story, they play it for the free reign and immersion. I would love to see what CDPR could do with their storytelling mixed with free reign exploraion, you might have a game that truly never ends.
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHMfreak View Post

The original Witcher was a sleeper hit. Very few people knew about it, and at the time console gaming was a huge thing. Witcher 2 came out for pcs, and then when it was ready for consoles. I love the witcher series, and will throw money to cdpr blindly for any product that they release simply for the way that they treat their customers. Free updates and dlc to the enhanced edition, removal of drm and not having the disc in the drive to play. Great company. I am sure that if CDPR made a mindless fps shooter that it would be the best and sell billions of copies, but they want to make a quality in depth rpg that is meant for adults who are mature. While that may not sell as big, hopefully the audience will grow, it is a much better and more refined playing experience. Skyrim is a great game that is full of adventure and the ability to get lost in. But it has the most generic storyline in the world, heck all the elder scrolls games start out the same, you are in jail and about to be executed, and then you are free and you can explore stuff. People don't play skyrim for the story, they play it for the free reign and immersion. I would love to see what CDPR could do with their storytelling mixed with free reign exploraion, you might have a game that truly never ends.

That's exactly what CDPR are doing with Wicher 3 and Cyberpunck 2077. Not only has CDPR made some bold claims about the graphics fidelity for their new engine but they have also stated that they are going for an open world with nonlinear storytelling and questing.

For thous wanting more information and screenshots not ruined by jpeg compression see thees links-->
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-01-the-witcher-3-no-qtes-a-50-hour-quest-no-xp-for-killing-only-for-quests
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-18-witcher-3-dev-says-skyrims-story-and-quests-were-generic




Definitely still rough around the edges but I'm sure CDPR can put the same spit and polish on it as they did with witcher 2
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 76
WOW! Those just look, WOW! I wish I could give them my money right now instead of having to wait. They will definitely give crysis 3 a run for the money.
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengs View Post

Not a polly seen. Wonder if this is being tessellated, it would mean that Witcher 3 will be DX11.

You don't need tessellation to create insanely detailed meshes. Tw2's rocks & mountains look exactly like they're tessellated but they're not. Crysis 3's ridiculously detailed trees aren't tessellated, and they're the most detailed trees ever seen in gaming. CDPR will prob. update the Red Engine to include some nice DX11 features but they hardly need to. Tw2 is still the best looking RPG ever made and if the devs focus on simply expanding the game world and adding in new mechanics, Tw3 will be beastly even if the graphics remain exactly the same.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucers View Post

You don't need tessellation to create insanely detailed meshes. Tw2's rocks & mountains look exactly like they're tessellated but they're not. Crysis 3's ridiculously detailed trees aren't tessellated, and they're the most detailed trees ever seen in gaming. CDPR will prob. update the Red Engine to include some nice DX11 features but they hardly need to. Tw2 is still the best looking RPG ever made and if the devs focus on simply expanding the game world and adding in new mechanics, Tw3 will be beastly even if the graphics remain exactly the same.

While you can make very dense meshes with out tessellation you will start to run in to performance issues fairly soon. This is especially true for animated stuff as deforming something like a bunch 100k character meshes can really make CPU's sweat. Its not that it can't be done (as I recall star citizen will have 100k characters) but making a game that has a very high CPU need will limit potential customers. Also unlike graphics settings like texture resolution, shadow detail ect. making adjustable settings to reduce CPU load is much harder.

As for the the graphics of witcher 2. Yes they are very nice in large part to exceptionally high poly models and high res textures. Well I say high poly but its more that they really knew where to put in the extra detail. You see this a lot in the dungeons where the put in a lot of siluet detail in the door arches with individual cobblestone models.



Indeed until DX11 and tessellation came around this was the best way of doing it. It however does have its limits as it still adds lots of extra polygons and when shadows are cast on the low poly part of the wall they fall flat as normal maps only effect shading not shadows. With tessellation you can replace much of the fake normal map detail with true geometry that will react realistically with all lighting and shadows.

While on the subject of shadows. While not bad the shadows in witcher 2 where noting to write home about. There have been many many games with much better shadows and I really really hope CDPR implements DX11 soft shadows in there new engine. Another DX11 feature that could really benefit a character driven game like the witcher is subsurface scattering. It just makes human skin so much more realistic.
Edited by Bit_reaper - 3/3/13 at 5:55am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

While you can make very dense meshes with out tessellation you will start to run in to performance issues fairly soon. This is especially true for animated stuff as deforming something like a bunch 100k character meshes can really make CPU's sweat. Its not that it can't be done (as I recall star citizen will have 100k characters) but making a game that has a very high CPU need will limit potential customers. Also unlike graphics settings like texture resolution, shadow detail ect. making adjustable settings to reduce CPU load is much harder.

As for the the graphics of witcher 2. Yes they are very nice in large part to exceptionally high poly models and high res textures. Well I say high poly but its more that they really knew where to put in the extra detail. You see this a lot in the dungeons where the put in a lot of siluet detail in the door arches with individual cobblestone models.



Indeed until DX11 and tessellation came around this was the best way of doing it. It however does have its limits as it still adds lots of extra polygons and when shadows are cast on the low poly part of the wall they fall flat as normal maps only effect shading not shadows. With tessellation you can replace much of the fake normal map detail with true geometry that will react realistically with all lighting and shadows.

While on the subject of shadows. While not bad the shadows in witcher 2 where noting to write home about. There have been many many games with much better shadows and I really really hope CDPR implements DX11 soft shadows in there new engine. Another DX11 feature that could really benefit a character driven game like the witcher is subsurface scattering. It just makes human skin so much more realistic.

It's true, The Witcher 2's awesome graphics are more about meticulous design than cutting edge tech. Tomasz Gop called it "massaging every pixel," and that screenie shows exactly what he meant. The fixed 3rd person camera is also a nice benefit (that Skyrim doesn't have) here in terms of texture fidelity. I'm all about DX11 features, but for The Witcher 3 I'd much rather see the bulk of the development go into new mechanics for the player- character and more freedom in the game world. The Red Engine is capable of producing next-gen quality graphics in DX9, which is pretty damn amazing. Except the hair. God I hope they use tressfx for Geralt's hair in the new game because that Lego-man mop drove me insane
post #67 of 76
People keep going on about the TW2's graphics being incredible. I just started playing and even on ultra/uber sampling I don't agree entirely. NPC's in general look awful, never mind the animation. Faces in general are average at best and the environments look great at times, and bland to below average at others. Now granted I've only played about an hour or so, so that's all I'm going on. I even went as far as installing higher resolution textures which helps somewhat.
Form from chaos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.6 ASUS ROG HERO 670 SLI 8GB TEAM DDR3 2600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 128GB LG Blu Ray Win 8.1 64 245BW 
PowerCase
Corsair1000W Lian Li tech bench 
  hide details  
Reply
Form from chaos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.6 ASUS ROG HERO 670 SLI 8GB TEAM DDR3 2600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 128GB LG Blu Ray Win 8.1 64 245BW 
PowerCase
Corsair1000W Lian Li tech bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post

People keep going on about the TW2's graphics being incredible. I just started playing and even on ultra/uber sampling I don't agree entirely. NPC's in general look awful, never mind the animation. Faces in general are average at best and the environments look great at times, and bland to below average at others. Now granted I've only played about an hour or so, so that's all I'm going on. I even went as far as installing higher resolution textures which helps somewhat.

It looks darn good to me, esp. seeing how most games of today look like.
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

It looks darn good to me, esp. seeing how most games of today look like.

I have to spend more time with it before I can draw any kind of real opinion on it, but these screens of TW3 look better all around from what I've seen so far. I'm pretty jaded at this point though, mostly because this next generation is 3 years behind already. Well, C3 was a nice breath of fresh air.
Edited by Slightly skewed - 3/3/13 at 3:00pm
Form from chaos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.6 ASUS ROG HERO 670 SLI 8GB TEAM DDR3 2600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 128GB LG Blu Ray Win 8.1 64 245BW 
PowerCase
Corsair1000W Lian Li tech bench 
  hide details  
Reply
Form from chaos
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.6 ASUS ROG HERO 670 SLI 8GB TEAM DDR3 2600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Pro 128GB LG Blu Ray Win 8.1 64 245BW 
PowerCase
Corsair1000W Lian Li tech bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoz View Post

Wonder why the Witcher series doesn't have the same mass "appeal" as lets say Skyrim.. I've just learned about the series about a month ago and started asking people if they've played this amazing series... All I get is blank faces most of the times lol.. Sad really

Skyrim was a long time coming, as it's the 5th installment of the series and the 3rd available for consoles. They even ran commercials for it. A lot of people ignorantly criticize Skyrim but honestly they got a lot of causal gamers to try RPG's that previously didn't venture into the genre. They play it, they like it, they go on to try other RPG's.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GR] Witcher 3 Screenshots Released!