Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ARS Technica] “Download this gun”: 3D-printed semi-automatic fires over 600 rounds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ARS Technica] “Download this gun”: 3D-printed semi-automatic fires over 600 rounds - Page 6  

post #51 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Wow. No, just no. That 4473 never leaves the FFL unless requested add part of an investigation.

You, the person, do not register a firearm unless you personally fabricated it. You participate in the transfer of an already-registered firearm. Only manufacturers register firearms. Fabricating a firearm yourself with no intent to transfer that firearm to anyone does not require registration.

Gonna have to wait until I get home to correct this other stuff...

I never said a 4473 ever left the FFL.

I have friends that work @ The DESP, ATF and NICS -- This is coming from THEM.

When the ATF runs your check for the class 3, they pull your history.

Once again, I don't quite frankly care what you want to provide or correct ~ They're telling me and others that this is how they do it...I'm going to take their word for it.

Fabricating a firearm for yourself means you're creating a prototype and it needs NO registration -- I said that. ~ Actually have 1 408 prototype in the safe.

I also never said YOU registered anything, I said the check was/is registered and recorded. ~ In fact, in talking to my local DESPP agent over the weekend, I was suprised to find that they keep records of how many checks you've ran, the serials for those checks (when received) and can access it whenever they need to.

In fact, in talking to my FFL not but 10 minutes ago, NY and CT FFL's are asked to send in their paperwork on the Xfer of every weapon to the town + state police so there is a record of that firearm.

Once again, I know these people, shoot with them weekly, their word is god in my eyes and if they're saying that's what's happening...It's what's happening.
Edited by Masked - 3/1/13 at 11:39am
post #52 of 105
I don't think you understood me. If you went ahead a printed a AR-15 lower to wed to your working AR-15 upper, why would you melt it down after using it for a day when you could print a non-functional AR-15 upper dye the thing red (called a red gun or dummy gun) and just wed it to that when you aren't shooting it? Or are fake ARs also banned now?
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
post #53 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post

I don't think you understood me. If you went ahead a printed a AR-15 lower to wed to your working AR-15 upper, why would you melt it down after using it for a day when you could print a non-functional AR-15 upper dye the thing red (called a red gun or dummy gun) and just wed it to that when you aren't shooting it? Or are fake ARs also banned now?

That's actually a good idea.

+1 to you sir, I did not understand that, that was what you were asking.

That's perfectly legal.

Good thinkin.
post #54 of 105
The initial part looked like they simply copied the geometry of the original receiver with little consideration for the weaker materials used, so no wonder it failed in short order. There was never anything inherently wrong with the idea of a plastic lower, and it seems they've proven this.

Anyway, anything that allows anyone to get what they want more easily, cheaply, and/or with less government interference is a good thing in my book.

No doubt if and when personal 3D printing of firearms takes off there will be a cry for new regulations and legislation to close perceived "loopholes" that make this legal or possible. I can only hope that such legislation is annoying enough to those people inclined to obey arbitrary laws that it forces society and government to reevaluate the utility of such legislation.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
post #55 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolios View Post

Ad hominem comments about someones vocabulary are weak and petty.
Please learn to argue through reason, instead of dismissing what you don't like.

You misunderstood his point (although I think it was a one sided comment) smile.gif, by definition, assault rifle / weapon / gun, is considered a semiautomatic weapon, meaning you pull the trigger once the weapon fires, (in most cases ejects cartridge) reloads another round, and trigger is pulled again. Double-action revolvers, are also (by definition) considered "assault weapons" same as a .22LR.

in the current state of the U.S. gun control debate, "Assault Weapons", is a name certain media uses to classify military styled weapons, such as the AR.

the media uses the term as a misnomer, when in fact "assault weapons" by definition are a sizable amount of the guns in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

pretty much says the same thing.

@ Masked, as an avid gun owner, ALL my firearms ARE registered. - that being said, without looking it up, I am very certain having an unregistered firearm in your home, is by law a felony.

I feel your pain regarding the current state of the 2nd Amendment, but that doesn't mean you should say on a public forum, to possible would-be gun owners, don't register your firearms...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Question: In the current political climate what is something the average Pro 2A gun owner does NOT want to do?

Answer: REGISTER IT.

Wrong, unless of course you would want to forfeit your 2nd Amendment rights.

I am in the market for a new rifle right now, and I can tell you, I WILL register it.

I know times look dark especially in your state, but giving bad info to an unknown crowd is ill advised.
post #56 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve1ocity View Post

You misunderstood his point (although I think it was a one sided comment) smile.gif, by definition, assault rifle / weapon / gun, is considered a semiautomatic weapon, meaning you pull the trigger once the weapon fires, (in most cases ejects cartridge) reloads another round, and trigger is pulled again. Double-action revolvers, are also (by definition) considered "assault weapons" same as a .22LR.

in the current state of the U.S. gun control debate, "Assault Weapons", is a name certain media uses to classify military styled weapons, such as the AR.

the media uses the term as a misnomer, when in fact "assault weapons" by definition are a sizable amount of the guns in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

pretty much says the same thing.

@ Masked, as an avid gun owner, ALL my firearms ARE registered. - that being said, without looking it up, I am very certain having an unregistered firearm in your home, is by law a felony.

I feel your pain regarding the current state of the 2nd Amendment, but that doesn't mean you should say on a public forum, to possible would-be gun owners, don't register your firearms...
Wrong, unless of course you would want to forfeit your 2nd Amendment rights.

I am in the market for a new rifle right now, and I can tell you, I WILL register it.

I know times look dark especially in your state, but giving bad info to an unknown crowd is ill advised.

Wow, talk about being an ignorant gun owner.

Pistols/Long Guns do not need to be registered currently with any governing authority so, you are wrong sir to assume they're legally registered.

Please look up the actual laws in regards to this topic because the rest, isn't worth addressing.

Without looking it up? Please do because you need a smack in the face to wake you up along with a solid understanding of gun laws.
post #57 of 105
I don't think he is advocating not registering your firearm... just stating that no one wants to. And a 3D printed receiver that lets you legally avoid registration seems like a pretty valueable thing to gun owners if it can get over its reliabilty problems.

I don't really want register most things that I own just because I don't like paperwork and whatnot. I usually picture the "average" gun owner as someone who has no love for big government looking over his shoulder but still complies with the law. They register because they HAVE to, not because they want to.

Thats my take on it anyway.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 4.5GHz @ 1.32V Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA GTX 580 Mushkin 2133 9-10-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840  WD Black Silver Arrow Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2211H Rosewill RK-9000BR Seasonic X750 HAF X 
MouseAudio
Razer Lachesis Grado HF2 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 4.5GHz @ 1.32V Asus P8P67 Pro EVGA GTX 580 Mushkin 2133 9-10-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840  WD Black Silver Arrow Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2211H Rosewill RK-9000BR Seasonic X750 HAF X 
MouseAudio
Razer Lachesis Grado HF2 
  hide details  
post #58 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

I don't think he is advocating not registering your firearm... just stating that no one wants to. And a 3D printed receiver that lets you legal avoid registration seems like a pretty valueable thing to gun owners if it can get over its reliabilty problems.

I don't really want register most things that I own just because I don't like paperwork and whatnot. I usually picture the "average" gun owner as someone who has no love for big government looking over his shoulder but still complies with the law. They register because they HAVE to, not because they want to.

Thats my take on it anyway.

You actually don't currently register ANY gun with the Gov't unless it's a special case. ~ Which is why gun owners are so AGAINST REGISTRATION.

You do NOT register your weapon with ANY GOVERNING AUTHORITY at the current moment.

Even those in NY have not done this yet because of the court case in which THEY WON and an injunction is pending.

You are correct -- Nobody wants to because historically, after registration comes confiscation.
post #59 of 105
The real question is, why are they wasting their time on making a plastic AR15 when they could be manufacturing for a superior platform; the AK47?
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
post #60 of 105
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [ARS Technica] “Download this gun”: 3D-printed semi-automatic fires over 600 rounds