Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › Help me select a PS3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me select a PS3?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I've been a PC gamer for as long as I have been gaming. I've never had a console before. I'm going to buy a PlayStation 3 and I need some help. So please answer these questions.

1) What are the differences between the different versions of PS3? Is any particular model better than the others hardware-wise (e.g. CPU, GPU)?
2) Does the storage capacity matter if I do not plan on storing music, movies or videos in the hard drive? Does a larger drive give better performance in games?
3) Which model from among the ones available would be best right now (e.g. slim, super slim etc.)? (I should note that I'm probably going to get it from Bangkok, if it helps)

Please feel free to let me know anything you think that I should know regarding the purchase or the PS3 itself. Also, if you don't mind, please mention the names of your favorite PS3 titles so that I can list which games to buy.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help! smile.gif

EDIT : 4) I've come to know that consoles are classified into two types - PAL and NTSC. What is the difference between the two? Which one should I get?
Edited by ahnafakeef - 3/2/13 at 7:19am
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 24
1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 24
Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 24

1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.

2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN  + game paches also is stored on HDD.

3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim  it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

 

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like  but 2nd one i have not tryed.

 

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.
Edited by Metalhead79 - 3/1/13 at 11:23am
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
So it seems like the slim version it is. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have some more questions listed below that I hope you will take the time to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.

How much space per game does it require on the HDD? and if I uninstall a game, does it also delete the updates, patches and saved games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.

By faster storage drive, do you mean an SSD? If so, is it worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.
2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN  + game paches also is stored on HDD.
3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim  it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like  but 2nd one i have not tryed.

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

How much space do patches require?
Also, I think I saw that the resolution of the PS3 is 1080p, or at least it was upgraded from 720p to 1080p through a firmware/software update. Aren't all games supposed to run at least on 720p if not 1080p?
I know that the graphics should be nowhere near that of the PCs. But there's nothing I can do about it, is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead79 View Post

For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.

I shouldn't miss out on epic titles like God of War or Uncharted just because the graphics isn't satisfactory. This is actually one of the main reasons that I'm getting a PS3.
Thanks for the recommendations, but I personally think that playing shooters with a controller is a pita, especially after you've played it on a PC with a mouse and a keyboard. I'm mostly into games like GoW, DmC etc for playing with controllers.
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 24
some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.
Zantetzuken
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2300 P8P67 LE AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Corsair  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Corsair  1TB SEAGATE SATA II @ 7200rpm Samsung 12x Blu-Ray Reader / DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
37" FULL HD LCD MS Wireless 700 Series SV PRO X3 800W PSU NZXT PANZERBOX 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
MS Wireless 700 Series Custom Ad hoc onboard HD Audio & HDMI Akasa AllinOne Fan Controller, Card Reader, IEE... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zantetzuken
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2300 P8P67 LE AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Corsair  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Corsair  1TB SEAGATE SATA II @ 7200rpm Samsung 12x Blu-Ray Reader / DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
37" FULL HD LCD MS Wireless 700 Series SV PRO X3 800W PSU NZXT PANZERBOX 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
MS Wireless 700 Series Custom Ad hoc onboard HD Audio & HDMI Akasa AllinOne Fan Controller, Card Reader, IEE... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 24
and i'd recommend ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian - if it ever makes it to PS3 tongue.gif
Zantetzuken
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2300 P8P67 LE AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Corsair  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Corsair  1TB SEAGATE SATA II @ 7200rpm Samsung 12x Blu-Ray Reader / DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
37" FULL HD LCD MS Wireless 700 Series SV PRO X3 800W PSU NZXT PANZERBOX 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
MS Wireless 700 Series Custom Ad hoc onboard HD Audio & HDMI Akasa AllinOne Fan Controller, Card Reader, IEE... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zantetzuken
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2300 P8P67 LE AMD Radeon HD7700 Series Corsair  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Corsair  1TB SEAGATE SATA II @ 7200rpm Samsung 12x Blu-Ray Reader / DVD Writer Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
37" FULL HD LCD MS Wireless 700 Series SV PRO X3 800W PSU NZXT PANZERBOX 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
MS Wireless 700 Series Custom Ad hoc onboard HD Audio & HDMI Akasa AllinOne Fan Controller, Card Reader, IEE... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.

I plan on using it with my 1080p monitor which does not have an HDMI port. Does that put me at some kind of a disadvantage?
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K | Titan
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K ASUS Maximus V Formula Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Force GT 120GB Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hitachi 2TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green 4TB CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ Corsair SP120s in P/P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Benq BL3201PT Corsair Vengeance K95 Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition Steelseries Rival Gigabyte Ghost Series MP8000 Schiit Gungnir 
AudioAudio
STAX SRM-323S STAX SR-009 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 24
Nope, you can just get an HDMI-DVI adapter, or even an HDMI-DVI cable (one on each end) cheaply from Monoprice. A little known fact about HDMI -- it's just DVI repackaged with audio, more or less. The two signals are totally compatible. You might consider getting an HDMI switch as well, so you can have multiple inputs all going to your monitor. That's how I had it set up during my undergrad years and it worked great. Hope this helps.
Edited by ybz90 - 3/2/13 at 7:33pm
Mac Pro
(3 items)
 
  
CPUCPUGraphics
Xeon X5650 Xeon X5650 GTX 680 
  hide details  
Reply
Mac Pro
(3 items)
 
  
CPUCPUGraphics
Xeon X5650 Xeon X5650 GTX 680 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Playstation
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › Help me select a PS3?