Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Minimum temperature?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Minimum temperature?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I recently built a few cheap rigs for my niece and nephew. In my nephew's build, I used the i5 3570k. With stock cooling it idles at 15 degrees. I thought something was wrong, so I started testing. After three hours of testing, I couldn't find any problems, it seems to perform as it's supposed to. However, after three hours of being stressed, it was only at 40 degrees. The ambient temperature for the room is about 27 degrees.


So now, we're left with two choices: Return it for a replacement, as something might be wrong with it, or see how low we can get the temperature, and then start overclocking from there.

Any advice or wisdom from anyone with a similar experience would be greatly helpful.
post #2 of 8
What are you checking the temperature with? Some programs report a "package" or "cpu" temp that could be anything. Check the actual core temps with either Coretemp or Realtemp and see what you get.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
I've checked with Coretemp, RealTemp, and CPUID's HWMonitor. All say the system runs cold. I always check with a few different programs if I think something might be wrong, just to be safe. One program being wrong is believable. Two is unusual, but possible. Three is a pattern.
Edited by JohnyRadio - 3/1/13 at 12:55pm
post #4 of 8
well then you have a good chip, why return it.
post #5 of 8
That's excellent that it runs cool!
However, there is no way that the core temp can be cooler than ambient temperatures, but that is no reason to worry. From what I have read, there is a big variation in the calibration of temp sensors. Since the temperature is actually found as a distance to Tmax (105 C), the further away from Tmax you are, the bigger the error. What that tells you is that idle temps are rarely accurate, but load temps will be more accurate. But, that load temp also sounds especially low - what program are you using to create a load situation? Most people here use the program Prime95 as a benchmark for load temperature. Also, what sort of cooling are you using?

At any rate, I don't think there is any reason to return it based on it reporting low idle temps. You have lots of overclocking headroom regardless, so I wouldn't worry about it too much smile.gif
Livingroom rig
(9 items)
 
Retro!
(16 items)
 
DIY Laptop
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @4.3GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Radeon HD 7970 GHz 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Intel 520 SSD 240GB Bluray / DVD combo Win 7 Home 64 Seasonic 550W modular 
Case
NZXT Vulcan 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Athlon 64 FX-55 Clawhammer Or Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester Asus A8N32 - SLI ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Or MSI GeForce 210 4 x 1GB Corsair XMS 500MHz OCz Agility 2 LITE-ON DVD 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Antec Kuhler 920 Win 7 Home Premium OEM Antec High Current Pro NZXT Phantom 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3360M @2.8-3.5GHz nVidia GT 650M @1GHz 2x4GB G.Skill 1600MHz Crucial M4 SSD 128GB 
OSMonitorCase
Ubuntu 12.04 11.6in, 1366x768 Clevo W110ER 
  hide details  
Reply
Livingroom rig
(9 items)
 
Retro!
(16 items)
 
DIY Laptop
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @4.3GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Radeon HD 7970 GHz 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Intel 520 SSD 240GB Bluray / DVD combo Win 7 Home 64 Seasonic 550W modular 
Case
NZXT Vulcan 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Athlon 64 FX-55 Clawhammer Or Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester Asus A8N32 - SLI ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Or MSI GeForce 210 4 x 1GB Corsair XMS 500MHz OCz Agility 2 LITE-ON DVD 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Antec Kuhler 920 Win 7 Home Premium OEM Antec High Current Pro NZXT Phantom 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3360M @2.8-3.5GHz nVidia GT 650M @1GHz 2x4GB G.Skill 1600MHz Crucial M4 SSD 128GB 
OSMonitorCase
Ubuntu 12.04 11.6in, 1366x768 Clevo W110ER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_2010 View Post

well then you have a good chip, why return it.

theres clearly something wrong here, no chip can idle lower than the ambient without extreme cooling. this has nothing to do with being a good chip or not

Edit: it is physically impossible for the cpu to be lower than the ambient temp when using air cooling. your sensor must be wrong, even if software all says its the same, the the sensor is at fault, not the software..
Edited by jdc122 - 3/2/13 at 6:26am
new build
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k 5ghz 1.392v gigabyte z97 soc force 780ti classified skill ripjawz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingPower
plextor m5 pro 128gb none water cooler master 1200w silent pro gold 
Case
open air bench 
  hide details  
Reply
new build
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k 5ghz 1.392v gigabyte z97 soc force 780ti classified skill ripjawz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingPower
plextor m5 pro 128gb none water cooler master 1200w silent pro gold 
Case
open air bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Idle temps don't matter. Those temps are normal and they get hot. I don't know what kind of cooler you're running and it'd help if you post your system specs so we can help you instruct what you wanna know.

As for temps it's the load temps that matter.

We're here to help you in OCN if you need help. Welcome to forums.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger4 View Post

That's excellent that it runs cool!
However, there is no way that the core temp can be cooler than ambient temperatures, but that is no reason to worry. From what I have read, there is a big variation in the calibration of temp sensors. Since the temperature is actually found as a distance to Tmax (105 C), the further away from Tmax you are, the bigger the error. What that tells you is that idle temps are rarely accurate, but load temps will be more accurate. But, that load temp also sounds especially low - what program are you using to create a load situation? Most people here use the program Prime95 as a benchmark for load temperature. Also, what sort of cooling are you using?

At any rate, I don't think there is any reason to return it based on it reporting low idle temps. You have lots of overclocking headroom regardless, so I wouldn't worry about it too much smile.gif

I was using Prime95 to stress it. What got my attention was that it idled low, climbed strangely, then topped off pretty low when stressed. It was on the stock HSF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc122 View Post

theres clearly something wrong here, no chip can idle lower than the ambient without extreme cooling. this has nothing to do with being a good chip or not

Edit: it is physically impossible for the cpu to be lower than the ambient temp when using air cooling. your sensor must be wrong, even if software all says its the same, the the sensor is at fault, not the software..

That's exactly what I was worried about. I decided to return it, should have a new one sometime soon. Better to make sure the sensors work before we start on making them go up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Minimum temperature?