Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Two 360 or 420 rads in a Switch 810
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two 360 or 420 rads in a Switch 810

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
So I was thinking about my soon to come water cooling loop in a switch 810. At first I was gonna take out the drive bays and mount a 280 in the front then add support where ever I could, but then I looked at the case again and thought I could fit another fan where the drive bays were. I don't have any components yet so its hard to meassure and test fit. Do you think I could fit 2 360 or even 420 rads in the NZXT Switch 810.cheers.gif
post #2 of 9
Yes, if you remove all but the very top 5.25 bay, you can fit a 360 in front with a 420 up top. The 420, assuming that it's not a 60mm thick radiator, should fit in push pull just fine, although I can't be sure about the 360.

The issue with such a setup is that you become extremely storage-poor, and while SSDs can be easily mounted just about anywhere, hard drives cannot.

My suggestion would be to get one of the pedestals from Dwood, which at $80 is a superb value. This would give you the ability to keep at least one of the two hard drive cages as well as all of the ODD bays.
You would have room for:
- 420 rad up top in push pull
- 420/480(/560?) in push pull in the pedestal
- 240 in the case floor
- Possibly a second radiator in the pedestal (360/420/480)
- 120/140 rad in the rear exhaust fan mount
- 4-6 case fans
- 3-6x 3.5" Hard Drives
- Fan Controller
- Bay Res
- Optical Drive

The amount of expansion provided by the pedestal is absolutely awesome, and Dwood will work with you to ensure that your unit is built to the specs you require. Therefore, you have options as to what rads and how many rads you can fit, whether or not you want extra hard drive bays, etc.

The pedestal also comes with a new front panel that extends downward to cover the front of the pedestal while retaining a very stock look. I am sure that you could have the panel customized, such as having a cutout with Modders Mesh to allow the front intake fans better airflow.
   
Z77 Bench-a-lot
(31 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.92Ghz Asus Rampage 4 Extreme EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB  EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z @ DDR3-2248 9-10-9-26 1T Samsung 830 256GB SSD WD10EZEX 1TB HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD10EALX 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD WD5000HHTZ 10krpm 500GB VelociRaptor 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG/Hitachi Slim DVD-R/W Custom MB-Backside VRM-sinks (Copper) 3x NZXT RF-FX140LB 1-2krpm 98.3CFM Case Fans 2x Corsair SP120-PE Case Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller GTX680 "Hole Edition" Block + Backplate XSPC Single-Bay Res (Single 5.25 bay) EK Multioption Res X2 - Advanced 150 DD "Fill-Port Res" + Fill-Port Fitting (Red) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x MCP35X + Heatsinks/80x15mm Fan XSPC EX420 Alphacool NeXXos UT60 240 6x Bgears Blasters 140mm 1800rpm Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
4x Koolance 120x25mm 2600rpm Fans Comp/Rotary Fittings (BP/XSPC/Monsoon) Primoflex Pro LRT - White (1/2x3/4) Windows 7 Professional 64bit  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Dell P2210Hb 21.5" 1920x1080p Viewsonic VA2012WB 20.1" LCD 1680x1050 Dell U3014 Eizo 27" 1440p 10bit RGB-LED Backlit AH-IPS Panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" LG HDTV (their top 2014 model) Ducky Mechanical (Browns) NZXT HALE90 850W + 8 blown-up AX1200/i's NZXT Switch 810 (White) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T.3 + MX510 My Desk GRADO RS1i Headphones Grado PS1000 Headphones 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Bitfenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller 5ch 30W/ch Bitfenix Alchemy Individually-Sleeved Extension... NZXT Individually-Sleeved Front Panel Wires (Bl... Phobya Sleeved 1x3pin-to-4x3pin Fan Splitter 
OtherOtherOther
Sleeved Wires w Paracord myself (no Heatshrink) Custom Front and Top Panels w HexxMesh *In Prog... Working on Custom Pedestal Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Z77 Bench-a-lot
(31 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3930K @ 4.92Ghz Asus Rampage 4 Extreme EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB  EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA GTX780Ti Classified K|ngp|n Edition @ 1483... 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z @ DDR3-2248 9-10-9-26 1T Samsung 830 256GB SSD WD10EZEX 1TB HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD10EALX 1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB WD3200AAKS 320GB HDD WD5000HHTZ 10krpm 500GB VelociRaptor 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
LG/Hitachi Slim DVD-R/W Custom MB-Backside VRM-sinks (Copper) 3x NZXT RF-FX140LB 1-2krpm 98.3CFM Case Fans 2x Corsair SP120-PE Case Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Heatkiller GTX680 "Hole Edition" Block + Backplate XSPC Single-Bay Res (Single 5.25 bay) EK Multioption Res X2 - Advanced 150 DD "Fill-Port Res" + Fill-Port Fitting (Red) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x MCP35X + Heatsinks/80x15mm Fan XSPC EX420 Alphacool NeXXos UT60 240 6x Bgears Blasters 140mm 1800rpm Fans 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
4x Koolance 120x25mm 2600rpm Fans Comp/Rotary Fittings (BP/XSPC/Monsoon) Primoflex Pro LRT - White (1/2x3/4) Windows 7 Professional 64bit  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Dell P2210Hb 21.5" 1920x1080p Viewsonic VA2012WB 20.1" LCD 1680x1050 Dell U3014 Eizo 27" 1440p 10bit RGB-LED Backlit AH-IPS Panel 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
55" LG HDTV (their top 2014 model) Ducky Mechanical (Browns) NZXT HALE90 850W + 8 blown-up AX1200/i's NZXT Switch 810 (White) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
R.A.T.3 + MX510 My Desk GRADO RS1i Headphones Grado PS1000 Headphones 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Bitfenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller 5ch 30W/ch Bitfenix Alchemy Individually-Sleeved Extension... NZXT Individually-Sleeved Front Panel Wires (Bl... Phobya Sleeved 1x3pin-to-4x3pin Fan Splitter 
OtherOtherOther
Sleeved Wires w Paracord myself (no Heatshrink) Custom Front and Top Panels w HexxMesh *In Prog... Working on Custom Pedestal Prototype 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

Yes, if you remove all but the very top 5.25 bay, you can fit a 360 in front with a 420 up top. The 420, assuming that it's not a 60mm thick radiator, should fit in push pull just fine, although I can't be sure about the 360.

The issue with such a setup is that you become extremely storage-poor, and while SSDs can be easily mounted just about anywhere, hard drives cannot.

My suggestion would be to get one of the pedestals from Dwood, which at $80 is a superb value. This would give you the ability to keep at least one of the two hard drive cages as well as all of the ODD bays.
You would have room for:
- 420 rad up top in push pull
- 420/480(/560?) in push pull in the pedestal
- 240 in the case floor
- Possibly a second radiator in the pedestal (360/420/480)
- 120/140 rad in the rear exhaust fan mount
- 4-6 case fans
- 3-6x 3.5" Hard Drives
- Fan Controller
- Bay Res
- Optical Drive

The amount of expansion provided by the pedestal is absolutely awesome, and Dwood will work with you to ensure that your unit is built to the specs you require. Therefore, you have options as to what rads and how many rads you can fit, whether or not you want extra hard drive bays, etc.

The pedestal also comes with a new front panel that extends downward to cover the front of the pedestal while retaining a very stock look. I am sure that you could have the panel customized, such as having a cutout with Modders Mesh to allow the front intake fans better airflow.
Thanks, I actually just finished looking at the pedestal and you're right the expansion is absolutely awesome. Also thanks for the clarification on the rad in the front and the expansion details. Really helpful.
post #4 of 9
I too am a fan of the Dwood pedestal. I have one and absolutely love it. SO much room in it, and so many options you can fill it up with ... a 420 Monsta with "push/pull" fans ... 2 420 45mm rads with "push/pull" fans and the air blowing out both sides, 2 420 60mm ras in a "push/pull/push" sandwitch ... or like I did, a 360 Monsta with "push/pull" and a dual bay reservoir with 2 pumps all in the base.

I also managed to put a 360 60mm radiator in "push/pull" up top and keep all my hard drive cages. I will say that because of 60mm radiator and motherboard combination I have, I did have to grind down the "rolled over edges" on the inside top of the Switch 810 case to get the 1mm extra space ... but it worked. biggrin.gif
Edited by 47 Knucklehead - 3/3/13 at 5:06pm
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I too am a fan of the Dwood pedestal. I have one and absolutely love it. SO much room in it, and so many options you can fill it up with ... a 420 Monsta with "push/pull" fans ... 2 420 45mm rads with "push/pull" fans and the air blowing out both sides, 2 420 60mm ras in a "push/pull/push" sandwitch ... or like I did, a 360 Monsta with "push/pull" and a dual bay reservoir with 2 pumps all in the base.

I also managed to put a 360 60mm radiator in "push/pull" up top and keep all my hard drive cages. I will say that because of 60mm radiator and motherboard combination I have, I did have to grind down the "rolled over edges" on the inside top of the Switch 810 case to get the 1mm extra space ... but it worked. biggrin.gif
Thanks for the feedback it's awesome, but what about 480s there is an option for 2 60mm 480s isn't there.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNamesSteve View Post

Thanks for the feedback it's awesome, but what about 480s there is an option for 2 60mm 480s isn't there.

I did the math, and yes, you could fit 2 480 radiators that were 60mm thick in there. And yes you can fit 4 sets of fans in there as well (for 2 sets of "push/pull")

-BUT-

That will pretty much fill the entire case and in order to get that all working, you will have to orient the fans in such a way that they push cool air in from one side, pass it through radiator #1, then have fans pull it into about a 1/4" gap before it hits the pull fans of the second radiator through radiator #2 and then put pull fans again.

So basically you will get one 480 rad with 100% efficient, and the 2nd radiator will get the WARM air from the first ... so it won't be as efficient. But it is possible.

Me, I'd almost think it would be better to just have 2 480 radiators each with "push" fans, drawing cool air in from the center cavity (which will be about 60mm) and both pushing the warm air out both sides.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I did the math, and yes, you could fit 2 480 radiators that were 60mm thick in there. And yes you can fit 4 sets of fans in there as well (for 2 sets of "push/pull")

-BUT-

That will pretty much fill the entire case and in order to get that all working, you will have to orient the fans in such a way that they push cool air in from one side, pass it through radiator #1, then have fans pull it into about a 1/4" gap before it hits the pull fans of the second radiator through radiator #2 and then put pull fans again.

So basically you will get one 480 rad with 100% efficient, and the 2nd radiator will get the WARM air from the first ... so it won't be as efficient. But it is possible.

Me, I'd almost think it would be better to just have 2 480 radiators each with "push" fans, drawing cool air in from the center cavity (which will be about 60mm) and both pushing the warm air out both sides.
Thanks again love the feedback and I have decided to go with just pull fans on one 80mm rad and push fans on the other 80mm rads so the air goes through the pedestal with optimal efficiency on the rads and space for airflow. Also in the case I'm putting a 360mm monsta rad in the top and another in the front. It's gonna be AWESOME!!! When I have the money:(
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNamesSteve View Post

Thanks again love the feedback and I have decided to go with just pull fans on one 80mm rad and push fans on the other 80mm rads so the air goes through the pedestal with optimal efficiency on the rads and space for airflow. Also in the case I'm putting a 360mm monsta rad in the top and another in the front. It's gonna be AWESOME!!! When I have the money:(

The only way to fit 2 Monsta 360 in the upper part of a Switch 810 is by doing a "Reverse ATX mod" to the case, but in order to do that, you basically have to do a TON of work.

jassilamba did one where he put a Monsta 480 up top and a Monsta 360 down below (without a pedestal).

[Build Log] NZXT Monster 810 Build

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

The only way to fit 2 Monsta 360 in the upper part of a Switch 810 is by doing a "Reverse ATX mod" to the case, but in order to do that, you basically have to do a TON of work.

jassilamba did one where he put a Monsta 480 up top and a Monsta 360 down below (without a pedestal).

[Build Log] NZXT Monster 810 Build

Well I'm not going to do push pull and you can put a 360 monsta in the front
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Two 360 or 420 rads in a Switch 810