Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Can it be that three 7970's in a row are defective????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can it be that three 7970's in a row are defective???? - Page 4

post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08 View Post

Ohh ok makes sense.

So then what card would be recommended? I was looking at the Sapphire Vapor-X model but it seems to be a HUGE cooler that has a large amount of sag and that is never good. I see there are still some MSI Lightning's able to be purchased. What to get?


Only reason I would get a Lightning is if your panel/s had display ports built in. Otherwise I would buy what I would always buy, reference cards w/o Boost. Gah, I freaking hate the boost/ghz crap.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08 View Post

Ohh ok makes sense.

So then what card would be recommended? I was looking at the Sapphire Vapor-X model but it seems to be a HUGE cooler that has a large amount of sag and that is never good. I see there are still some MSI Lightning's able to be purchased. What to get?


Only reason I would get a Lightning is if your panel/s had display ports built in. Otherwise I would buy what I would always buy, reference cards w/o Boost. Gah, I freaking hate the boost/ghz crap.

Got the Vapor X, very little sag. If it had a lot, it'd touch my cooler! Look!

I'll actually be ripping it off and mounting an Antec620 to it though, quieter.
post #33 of 65
Thread Starter 
Yes my panel does have dp and it is 2560x1440p so I can run pretty much any card if they

I thought about refernce but it seems that all those are voltage locked as well as I dont see any voltage adjust in Afterburner anymore. Plus they dont seen to oc as well and even if they do, that fan is SO LOUD!
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08 View Post

Yes my panel does have dp and it is 2560x1440p so I can run pretty much any card if they

I thought about refernce but it seems that all those are voltage locked as well as I dont see any voltage adjust in Afterburner anymore. Plus they dont seen to oc as well and even if they do, that fan is SO LOUD!


That's incorrect. The only truly unlocked card that is headache free is the reference card, and I mean true reference card not these wannabes. This is because the reference AMD design is voltage unlocked!!

Hmm in regards to overclocking, the leader of the valley, heaven and 3dmark 11 leaderboards uses all reference cards.
Edited by tsm106 - 3/5/13 at 2:48pm
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 65
Thread Starter 
Well good im glad im wrong about voltage locked cards......is that why everyone wants the refernce pcb?

So if I cant live with the crazy refernce cooler fan noise, go lightning?

There are SO many amd 7970's and it seems to be somewhat of a guessing game to choose a solid card. Again thanks for all of the help and keep it coming!
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

That's incorrect. The only truly unlocked card that is headache free is the reference card, and I mean true reference card not these wannabes. This is because the reference AMD design is voltage unlocked!!

Hmm in regards to overclocking, the leader of the valley, heaven and 3dmark 11 leaderboards uses all reference cards.


tsm106, you are speaking like if you knew that guy personnally.

Oh and by the way, the Third one in Valley also uses all reference design cards.

[Official] --- Top 30 --- Unigine Valley Benchmarks 1.0
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

That's incorrect. The only truly unlocked card that is headache free is the reference card, and I mean true reference card not these wannabes. This is because the reference AMD design is voltage unlocked!!

Hmm in regards to overclocking, the leader of the valley, heaven and 3dmark 11 leaderboards uses all reference cards.

Could not agree more. The reference cards are amazing
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 65
Thread Starter 
Does afterburner just not let me overvolt then? I JUST tried to use it on these diamond reference cards I am borrowing and dont see anyway to do so
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxyJ08 View Post

Does afterburner just not let me overvolt then? I JUST tried to use it on these diamond reference cards I am borrowing and dont see anyway to do so


Read this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40


@Karlitos, lol I wasn't naming names.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Read this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40


@Karlitos, lol I wasn't naming names.

wink.gif
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Can it be that three 7970's in a row are defective????