Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Verge] EU fines Microsoft over $730 million for failing to include browser ballot in Windows 7 SP1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Verge] EU fines Microsoft over $730 million for failing to include browser ballot in Windows 7 SP1 - Page 25  

post #241 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

So if they did something wrong 10 years ago I fail to see why this fine is about Windows 7 SP1. They should be fined for whatever they have done wrong, not fined over something ridiculous now just because of what they did in the past.

Ehhhhhh.

Mate... They broke a court order.

In 2009 the 10 year long case came to an end. MS were found guilty and fined a hefty some, and told they had to provide users with a choice of browser for all subsequent versions of Windows.

In Windows 7 SP1, MS neglected to include the choice menu, despite the fact that they had to and had agreed to do previously.

They are being fined because it took them around 9 months to comply with that after the release of Windows 7 SP1.

TL;DR? They broke a court order and are being fined. They aren't being fined for SP1 for something they did 10 years ago. They are being fined because they broke a court order, that was based on something they did 10 years ago.

Either way, the fine this month is justified, because MS shouldn't be allowed to flaunt a court order.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
post #242 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

So if they did something wrong 10 years ago I fail to see why this fine is about Windows 7 SP1. They should be fined for whatever they have done wrong, not fined over something ridiculous now just because of what they did in the past.
Because the settlement was that MS do this for a few years.

It is punishment. Companies are not only punished in cash.... they can be barred from doing things or forced to do things. This was one of the things MS was forced to do and they agreed to do it.

It's like saying people shouldn't have to do court order community service since the case closed last year. The time frame has NOTHING anything.
Edited by DuckieHo - 3/6/13 at 1:30pm
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
post #243 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Yet virtually everyone is stating "MS should be allowed to include IE in Windows!".

If they are saying that.... then they obviously do NOT know the facts.

For someone who is supposedly so smart, you really can be ... obtuse sometimes.

Just because the ruling was such, doesn't mean that people don't know the facts when they (hold on to your hat) ...

GIVE THEIR OPINION THAT THEY THINK THAT MICROSOFT GOT HOSED IN THE CASE AND THAT THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE LOST.


Yes, I know the facts, and yes I am saying "MS should be allowed to include IE in Windows!"

They are NOT mutually exclusive.

The fact that you fail to see this is utterly astounding.


If you want a parallel example: We all know that OJ Simpson was found guilty of murder. That doesn't change the fact that most people think that he WAS guilty.
post #244 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

Seriously??


Che' would be ashamed that you use his likeness ..

the SP1 is what they did wrong..

Please pull the Che' Avatar it does a disservice to his name...

I don't even see why you guys care so much about arguing why microsoft should be fined. Do you think Microsoft is the only company that does this kind of thing?

Also I can use whoever's picture I want as my avatar. What's he gonna to do about it?
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
post #245 of 300
No one is saying or even implying that MS can't ship IE with their OS.
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
post #246 of 300
^ Welcome back to the thread. I almost posted "you'll be back in 4 pages" and I wish I had now.

Also, you're wrong smile.gif

Opinion means nothing here. The fact is, MS were wrong., The fact is, MS didn't get hosed. The fact is. Anti-trust is something that governments deal with and have done for hundreds of years.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
post #247 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post


Also I can use whoever's picture I want as my avatar. What's he gonna to do about it?

Well, it's a bit daft having a figure as your avatar id you don't understand the subject. but I guess you're just using it as fashion statement like many others, instead of realising he is the symbolism for socialism the world over. LOL
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
post #248 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Well, it's a bit daft having a figure as your avatar id you don't understand the subject. but I guess you're just using it as fashion statement like many others, instead of realising he is the symbolism for socialism the world over. LOL

I know it's slightly off topic but do you have nothing better to do than just argue against every post that basically doesn't say that Microsoft deserve the fine?
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4278U @ 2.6GHz Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 5100 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
128GB SSD Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Windows 10 13" IPS @ 2560 x 1600 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple British Keyboard 60W Magsafe 2 Apple Aluminium Unibody Apple Trackpad 
  hide details  
post #249 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

I know it's slightly off topic but do you have nothing better to do than just argue against every post that basically doesn't say that Microsoft deserve the fine?

I'm doing other stuff in-between biggrin.gif It's called multitasking.

And honestly, any post that says that is wrong and I won't mind putting it in it's place. MS deserved the fine massively. They also deserve to be fined for breaking a court order... anyone who breaks a court order deserves to be slammed hard.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
post #250 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Opinion means nothing here. The fact is, MS were wrong., The fact is, MS didn't get hosed. The fact is. Anti-trust is something that governments deal with and have done for hundreds of years.

Not everyone would agree what Microsoft did was wrong.

Not everyone would agree that anti-trust laws are right.
Pooter
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k P8Z77-v DELUXE GTX 680 Samsung 30nm 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB SSD Crucial M4 512GB SSD 1TB Samsung HDD Cheapo LG DVD drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit BenQ 2420T Yamakasi Catleap 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Keyboard V1 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Steelseries Kana 
AudioAudioAudio
Titanium HD ATH-AD900 Swan M200MKIII 
  hide details  
Pooter
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k P8Z77-v DELUXE GTX 680 Samsung 30nm 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 256GB SSD Crucial M4 512GB SSD 1TB Samsung HDD Cheapo LG DVD drive 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit BenQ 2420T Yamakasi Catleap 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Keyboard V1 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Steelseries Kana 
AudioAudioAudio
Titanium HD ATH-AD900 Swan M200MKIII 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Verge] EU fines Microsoft over $730 million for failing to include browser ballot in Windows 7 SP1