Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 660 2GB SLi for a 2560x1600 resolution. Is it enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 660 2GB SLi for a 2560x1600 resolution. Is it enough? - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post

You are quite right but it is more expensive. I did some reading and it seems GTX660 SLI is a great perfomer. I should be able to sell both Nvidia coupons for at least $35 each so a total would be $321 for both cards. By the time BF4 and other more demanding titles come out both GTX660 SLI and GTX670/680 will be struggling to perform well. At least I will able able to move my GTX660 to my htpc and keep the change in my pocket.

If i wanted to buy GTX670 SLI right now it would cost me $600 after MIR and coupons. It does not make much sense from a performance and financial point of view. I am fully aware SLI/Crossfire are subjects to the law of diminishing returns.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli_4.html#sect4

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-660-roundup_9.html#sect5

http://www.benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/geforce-gtx-660/strona/18262.html

If you get two 660's that clock well.. This is the type of performance you should expect... Don't mind the low min fps, it happens right when valley starts up.. mad.gif

This is my 660 SLI rig, and it's running on a custom 2560*1600 resolution, because i don't have a monitor with that resolution. My native resolution is 1080p, and I don't know if it would make a difference in performance if it runs on a native 2560*1600. Even if it does make a difference, i think it would mean better performance on native 2560*1600 wink.gif. The 660's can fair well, if you turn down the AA, but if you max it out.. tongue.gif it really struggles at that resolution. 30fps to me is struggling biggrin.gif

Valley Benchmark X8 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark X4 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark X2 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark No AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Resident evil 6 Benchmark Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sleeping Dogs Max settings High AA... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hope I helped a little... But IMO, if you can get a 670, you will see vast difference in performance.. Way better performance, on this resolution, the 660Ti Struggles just as much as the 660 non ti does, so it's not really worth the extra 170$ for two..
Edited by Yungbenny911 - 3/8/13 at 3:06am
ICE Evolution
(30 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI KRAIT Edition LGA2011-v3 MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
HyperX 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 WD 500GB Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC ... Seagate 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liqui... Corsair SP 120 (x10) Thermaltake Riing 120 RGB (x6) XSPC Photon 270 Tube Reservoir Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing - 36in - Clear  Rigid Revolver Compression Fitting 3/8" x 1/2" ... Hardwarelabs Sr1 480mm Radiator (x3) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
D5 PWM PUMP (x2) Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit V2 - Deluxe White... Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top (Acrylic Version) - U... Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer B326HK 32" 4K IPS Corsair k70 RGB EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse Xtrac Pad Ripper Mousepad Logitech z623 200w sub woofer Logitech G35 
OtherOther
Logitech c920 1080p Hd webcam Xbox One Special Edition Covert Forces Wireless... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB  8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series120GB SATA III MLC... 1TB 5400RPM (Storage) Blu-ray/DVD-RW Cm X-Slim 
OSMonitorKeyboardAudio
Windows 8 pro 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080 Backlit Keyboard JBL speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
ICE Evolution
(30 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI KRAIT Edition LGA2011-v3 MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
HyperX 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 WD 500GB Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC ... Seagate 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liqui... Corsair SP 120 (x10) Thermaltake Riing 120 RGB (x6) XSPC Photon 270 Tube Reservoir Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing - 36in - Clear  Rigid Revolver Compression Fitting 3/8" x 1/2" ... Hardwarelabs Sr1 480mm Radiator (x3) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
D5 PWM PUMP (x2) Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit V2 - Deluxe White... Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top (Acrylic Version) - U... Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer B326HK 32" 4K IPS Corsair k70 RGB EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse Xtrac Pad Ripper Mousepad Logitech z623 200w sub woofer Logitech G35 
OtherOther
Logitech c920 1080p Hd webcam Xbox One Special Edition Covert Forces Wireless... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB  8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series120GB SATA III MLC... 1TB 5400RPM (Storage) Blu-ray/DVD-RW Cm X-Slim 
OSMonitorKeyboardAudio
Windows 8 pro 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080 Backlit Keyboard JBL speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

If you get two 660's that clock well.. This is the type of performance you should expect... Don't mind the low min fps, it happens right when valley starts up.. mad.gif

This is my 660 SLI rig, and it's running on a custom 2560*1600 resolution, because i don't have a monitor with that resolution. My native resolution is 1080p, and I don't know if it would make a difference in performance if it runs on a native 2560*1600. Even if it does make a difference, i think it would mean better performance on native 2560*1600 wink.gif. The 660's can fair well, if you turn down the AA, but if you max it out.. tongue.gif it really struggles at that resolution. 30fps to me is struggling biggrin.gif

Valley Benchmark X8 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark X4 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark X2 AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Valley Benchmark No AA Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Resident evil 6 Benchmark Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sleeping Dogs Max settings High AA... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hope I helped a little... But IMO, if you can get a 670, you will see vast difference in performance.. Way better performance, on this resolution, the 660Ti Struggles just as much as the 660 non ti does, so it's not really worth the extra 170$ for two..

I read your posts in this thread "GTX 660 (NON TI) Owners club?". Thank you posting all the benchmarks again. I decided to buy two Asus GTX660 last night.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post

I read your posts in this thread "GTX 660 (NON TI) Owners club?". Thank you posting all the benchmarks again. I decided to buy two Asus GTX660 last night.

Oh nice!, as long as you are not an AA freakazoid, you will be fine till the 7xx series come out wink.gif. I am just waiting for them to be released, and if Nvidia is not as greedy as they were with the Titan's price, i will be getting TWO! devil.gif
ICE Evolution
(30 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI KRAIT Edition LGA2011-v3 MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
HyperX 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 WD 500GB Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC ... Seagate 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liqui... Corsair SP 120 (x10) Thermaltake Riing 120 RGB (x6) XSPC Photon 270 Tube Reservoir Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing - 36in - Clear  Rigid Revolver Compression Fitting 3/8" x 1/2" ... Hardwarelabs Sr1 480mm Radiator (x3) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
D5 PWM PUMP (x2) Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit V2 - Deluxe White... Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top (Acrylic Version) - U... Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer B326HK 32" 4K IPS Corsair k70 RGB EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse Xtrac Pad Ripper Mousepad Logitech z623 200w sub woofer Logitech G35 
OtherOther
Logitech c920 1080p Hd webcam Xbox One Special Edition Covert Forces Wireless... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB  8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series120GB SATA III MLC... 1TB 5400RPM (Storage) Blu-ray/DVD-RW Cm X-Slim 
OSMonitorKeyboardAudio
Windows 8 pro 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080 Backlit Keyboard JBL speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
ICE Evolution
(30 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5930k MSI X99S SLI KRAIT Edition LGA2011-v3 MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK MSI GTX 1070 Sea-Hawk EK 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
HyperX 16Gb DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 WD 500GB Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC ... Seagate 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liqui... Corsair SP 120 (x10) Thermaltake Riing 120 RGB (x6) XSPC Photon 270 Tube Reservoir Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel - Plexi PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing - 36in - Clear  Rigid Revolver Compression Fitting 3/8" x 1/2" ... Hardwarelabs Sr1 480mm Radiator (x3) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
D5 PWM PUMP (x2) Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit V2 - Deluxe White... Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top (Acrylic Version) - U... Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer B326HK 32" 4K IPS Corsair k70 RGB EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 Thermaltake Core X9 Snow Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Cyborg R.A.T 5 Gaming Mouse Xtrac Pad Ripper Mousepad Logitech z623 200w sub woofer Logitech G35 
OtherOther
Logitech c920 1080p Hd webcam Xbox One Special Edition Covert Forces Wireless... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB  8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series120GB SATA III MLC... 1TB 5400RPM (Storage) Blu-ray/DVD-RW Cm X-Slim 
OSMonitorKeyboardAudio
Windows 8 pro 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080 Backlit Keyboard JBL speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

Oh nice!, as long as you are not an AA freakazoid, you will be fine till the 7xx series come out wink.gif. I am just waiting for them to be released, and if Nvidia is not as greedy as they were with the Titan's price, i will be getting TWO! devil.gif

I do not care about AA, hbao and all that since I am too busy "pwning" people.biggrin.gif GTX660 SLI will give me a higher minimum FPS than a single GTX680. I still cannot justify getting GTX670 SLI nor GTX680 SLI over GTX660 SLI.
post #25 of 28
i agree with Nagle3092.

First off, you should never limit yourself with the 660 SLI. Where's your upgradability? There is none. At least with a 680 you'd have great performance for the time being, then when you need the extra horsepower, you can get a second. THEN you'd have a beat machine. Have a 660 SLI will cost you more in the long run when you need to upgrade to a new system and trash both 660's
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

i agree with Nagle3092.

First off, you should never limit yourself with the 660 SLI. Where's your upgradability? There is none. At least with a 680 you'd have great performance for the time being, then when you need the extra horsepower, you can get a second. THEN you'd have a beat machine. Have a 660 SLI will cost you more in the long run when you need to upgrade to a new system and trash both 660's

I will not be trashing them. I am going to upgrade GTX260 in my wife's work computer and the other one will go to an htpc once new cards come out eventually.smile.gif
Edited by Iching - 3/8/13 at 10:29pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post

I will not trashing them. I am going to upgrade GTX260 in my wife's work computer and the other one will go to an htpc once new cards come out eventually.smile.gif

oh.....well in that case, I'd get them (if not nudge to the 7870's or 660 Ti's a little

I'm actually not tooo familiar with these cards, but I did have 2 560 ti's back in the day and I LOVED them.
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

oh.....well in that case, I'd get them (if not nudge to the 7870's or 660 Ti's a little

I'm actually not tooo familiar with these cards, but I did have 2 560 ti's back in the day and I LOVED them.

Yea, you did make a valid point but I am not too crazy about current graphics card series. It seems both Nvidia and AMD have had their share of problems. I think GTX660 performance is the same as GTX580.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 660 2GB SLi for a 2560x1600 resolution. Is it enough?