Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [PA] FBI asked for user data without a warrant according to Google
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PA] FBI asked for user data without a warrant according to Google - Page 6  

post #51 of 91
Still it's nice to have the FBI watch our backs against predators out there. We need MORE security on the internet anyways because it's a crazy world out there. It's not like you can walk in and rob a bank. Same metaphor with online banking and more other things. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and theories but i feel much safer knowing our country is controlling the internet and reducing the cyber war we have that is going on here today in this world.

But i do expect they at least follow protocols because it IS still an invasion of privacy unless it's an Security National Matter than they have my handshake to protect our country.
post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78@pwnt4lif3 View Post

Still it's nice to have the FBI watch our backs against predators out there. We need MORE security on the internet anyways because it's a crazy world out there. It's not like you can walk in and rob a bank. Same metaphor with online banking and more other things. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and theories but i feel much safer knowing our country is controlling the internet and reducing the cyber war we have that is going on here today in this world.

But i do expect they at least follow protocols because it IS still an invasion of privacy unless it's an Security National Matter than they have my handshake to protect our country.

That's one of the huge issues around these types of things. We won't ever know what it is about until they declassify, which could take years. Look how long it took Watergate to get declassified? This isn't exactly about Gov stuff, or political. If you take it down to the basic terms, trust, how are we to trust what they are doing if we cannot find out what happened until we are about dead? So the question goes, do you trust anyone with the ability to search and seize information or property without reason? You have to realize these people aren't all that smarter than the average joe, if even that. They are every day average people, with human traits. Would you trust your boss with that type of power? Your neighbor? Any of your friends? If not, how can you trust the govt to do so if you cannot trust the average person? This is the issue with NSA letters. It breaks a train of trust by circumventing the legal system in the name of national security.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bruce_schneier.html

When you get into security, you start to realize that you really cannot be secure. Take 9/11, the chances of that happening again are? In fact, the chances of any bomb threat or scenario even greater than that are? It's a small percent, even without them "actively" enforcing security it would be a small percent. So why do we give people the power to do whatever they want, if the chances of them stopping an event that is so unlikely to happen that your grand children won't see it? Statistically speaking, we have no need for things such as this. So it's a way to lobby for larger entities, money backing and "politics". Safety is a mirage half the time, the honest truth is know your reality and act accordingly to that.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
post #53 of 91
I think one of the issues for Google is that even though they are a premier site for email service (along with Hotmail), they have to walk a fine line. On the one hand they might truly care about users' privacy, on another they might not care about enough to stop themselves sifting it to serve up adverts, and on a third hand the fact that they have all of this data (and the fact that U.S. government knows that they have it) makes them vulnerable to such requests.

However, Google also know that more and more people are starting to care about their privacy and take this issue seriously. If Google don't reassure their customers that they do their very best to preserve their privacy, it will leave a gap in the market for another email service which offers superior privacy controls.

I knew that Google was keeping people's emails, but originally thought that this only applied to webmail users, since they use IMAP at the back end. However, I've discovered that if you sent email from an email client through Google's SMTP server, a copy of that email is made and stored in the IMAP sent box for your account.

I was quite shocked (and annoyed) when I realised that. I now use my ISP's local email server when sending email, and I'm waiting for the Startpage people to get their email service up and running.
Ryzen
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3 Palit GT-430 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO AMD Wraith Spire Linux Mint 18.x Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Basic Keyboard Thermaltake ToughPower 850W Lian-Li PC-A04B Logitech Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
Ryzen
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3 Palit GT-430 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO AMD Wraith Spire Linux Mint 18.x Dell UltraSharp U2414H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Basic Keyboard Thermaltake ToughPower 850W Lian-Li PC-A04B Logitech Trackman Wheel 
  hide details  
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

But it's the FBI?
Google has more money than the FBI, therefore more control, lol
Us and Them
(19 items)
 
Mini Me
(11 items)
 
The Traveller
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4930K Overclocked  Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition EVGA Titan X Superclocked EVGA Titan X Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
24GB Crucial Ballistix Elite Lots of SSD's WD Caviar Black 2TB x 2 Logitech BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80i Windows 7 Professional Dell 34" Ultrawide 1440p x 2  Ducky Shine 2 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax MaxRevo 1500w Cooler Master Cosmos 2 R.A.T. 9 Wireless Razor Aluminum 
AudioAudioOther
Xonar Essence SXT  Sennheiser HD598 Headphones Mini Fridge full of German Beer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4790k MSI Z97I MSI GTX 970 Million Edition 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm LG USB External Windows 7 Professional 55" Lg Tv 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth EVGA 500W EVGA Hadron Air (modified) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Impact  MSI Gaming GTX 1070 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HGST 1TB x 2 2.5" HDD External Blu-Ray Cooler Master Gemini Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardCaseOther
4K LG TV Cheap Portable Fractal Design Node 202 256GB SD Card 
  hide details  
Us and Them
(19 items)
 
Mini Me
(11 items)
 
The Traveller
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4930K Overclocked  Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition EVGA Titan X Superclocked EVGA Titan X Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
24GB Crucial Ballistix Elite Lots of SSD's WD Caviar Black 2TB x 2 Logitech BD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80i Windows 7 Professional Dell 34" Ultrawide 1440p x 2  Ducky Shine 2 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax MaxRevo 1500w Cooler Master Cosmos 2 R.A.T. 9 Wireless Razor Aluminum 
AudioAudioOther
Xonar Essence SXT  Sennheiser HD598 Headphones Mini Fridge full of German Beer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4790k MSI Z97I MSI GTX 970 Million Edition 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Blue 7200rpm LG USB External Windows 7 Professional 55" Lg Tv 
KeyboardPowerCase
Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth EVGA 500W EVGA Hadron Air (modified) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K Asus Maximus VIII Impact  MSI Gaming GTX 1070 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
HGST 1TB x 2 2.5" HDD External Blu-Ray Cooler Master Gemini Microsoft Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardCaseOther
4K LG TV Cheap Portable Fractal Design Node 202 256GB SD Card 
  hide details  
post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

Why? Google gives the minimum amount of data possible.

This x 1000 and only when they have to. They do a very good job of keeping all of your stuff private, even internally.
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(13 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) Scythe AP-29 2x Noctua U9DXi4 
OSPowerCaseOther
FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) 
Other
Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(13 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) Scythe AP-29 2x Noctua U9DXi4 
OSPowerCaseOther
FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) 
Other
Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
post #56 of 91
did you know you can be seen from space via satellite sitting on the crapper if your by a window with the blinds open.yessir.gif
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

did you know you can be seen from space via satellite sitting on the crapper if your by a window with the blinds open.yessir.gif

From the mirrors on the ground that are placed parallel to the open blinds so that the cameras in space have that field of view?

...
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5entinel View Post

Guys, no conspiracy crap or politics in this thread please.

Kind of redundant, considering the article. If you're going to allow the article, how the crap do you get away with allowing the discussion of it, which logically will be entirely political? Makes no sense...
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAverageJoe View Post

You know what's funny? At least once a year national news runs a story about how many of these "discoveries" are a false positives or completely mishandled. The fact is most of the time they usually come across someone on accident and they spill the beans to save their own rear. I'd give you examples but I'd have to wade too deep into political territory.

The basic premise stays the same: To catch all the criminals you have to treat every citizen like a criminal. If the number of people who've been wrongly accused and/or had rights violated has risen with the number of criminals apprehended how can you say the methods have worked?


I strongly agree with this concept, wouldn't be in my line of work if I didn't...I can't follow up with anything else without sounding like a complete ******* who dislikes civilians so I'll just leave it at that thumb.gif
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

I agree that what they do here isn't the proper way. I'm just saying, you can deal with crime without criminalizing the civ. Personally, NSA type solutions are over used and generally used in situations where they aren't required. I think the original idea was so that they can catch people in the act without waiting for the warrant, so nothing goes sour. However I haven't really herd of them using it in this way, they probably do but you also see a lot of lower end BS get taken care of by policies that are way too strong. It's like taking bleach to wash your hands. Sure, it kills bacteria but do you need to bleach your hands? lol Just like they were issuing these left and right, before they got caught and regulations got more strict. You'll probably see stuff like this happen now and then too. Just like we should push against the legal system, they will push our boundaries too. Gotta tell em' what's acceptable or not, just wish more people understood that. =(

I think we have a miscommunication friend. I am in no way advocating the criminalization of people.. My main points were a) You have a ridiculous amount of both false positives and accidental discoveries - which to me brings into question the effectiveness of their methods. b) How ridiculous some people are. You can surrender all your rights and you still won't catch 100% of the criminals, so people that are advocating we to go to a police state need to wake up. It's amazing the extent people are willing to go to for their false sense of security.

I agree with your points. Bottom line: If the feds of all people can't get a search warrant you better believe they don't have justification - they're just blindly shooting in the dark.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [PA] FBI asked for user data without a warrant according to Google