[Long, but important post. Please go through it! Thanks!]
So, as far as this thread has come, I've found two different opinions - one is that the CPU will be a bottleneck, and another is that it will not. Personally I cannot rule out either since both the parties have backed themselves up with benchmarks and/or CPU/GPU usage charts.
From where I stand, I see two options:
i) Get the Titan. Check for bottleneck in the games I play. Then upgrade CPU if and/or when required.
ii) Get a whole new system right away and stop worrying. And it would definitely be Intel based.
(i) is pretty simple. But I have some questions if (ii) is to be considered.
1. 3x70K CPUs are currently the fastest ones as far as I know and will probably be the obvious choice. But they have reached their end of life and will be replaced by Haswell within 3 months. Wouldn't it be wiser to wait and get Haswell since it is supposed to be hell of a lot faster than IB and will last longer than IB too since it is newer?
2. Won't the lower number of cores in the IB CPUs than the AMD ones mean some sort of a downgrade? (Yes, I've read that post in Ironman517's sig, but a real life core vs core data or comparison of actual AMD and Intel CPUs would be more useful to understand). I'm worried about losing number of cores because Crysis 3 has already shown better performance with more cores and the new consoles are all octas (I play a lot of ports).
3. What are my options if I want to get something with more than four cores? (I don't think that SB-E is an option since it costs a hefty amount of money but offers lower per core performance than IB.)
4. Will an IB CPU be a bottleneck to cards that come out two years later? I'd like to avoid my current situation of bottlenecking (if any) if I choose to upgrade CPU now.
5. Is there any chance that Steamroller might be better than 3x70K CPUs?Questions 1, 2 and 3 are very important to me and I request you to back up your answers with valid reasoning.
I should note that I will not be upgrading for at least about two years if I do it now, so please keep that in mind.
About going OT : Sorry but I really need these questions answered and it would be easier to do it here since all the relevant contents are here already. Thank you for understanding. Please be kind enough not to lock this thread.
Any other suggestion regarding my situation is most welcome and highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot to everyone for your help! I hope that I will be able to reach a reasonable decision through your kind cooperation.