Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Any other Go programmers here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any other Go programmers here?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
A lot of other languages (even relatively niche ones) receive a decent amount of discussion on here. But thus far I've not seen anyone else mention Go aside myself.

So I'm just wondering if there's any other Go developers on OCN
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

A lot of other languages (even relatively niche ones) receive a decent amount of discussion on here. But thus far I've not seen anyone else mention Go aside myself.

So I'm just wondering if there's any other Go developers on OCN

You mean Go by Google, right? Not "Go!", I presume.

I looked into it a while ago but never really considered getting into it seriously.

If you have experience with it, how would you say it compares to more mainstream languages like C++/Java or more scripting-oriented languages like Python?

Have you done a substantial amount of programming in it?

Also, is it me or have you created a similar thread before?
MacBook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
Desktop
(13 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3210 @ 2.5 GHz Intel HD4000 4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz 500 GB @ 5400 RPM 
OSMonitor
OSX Mountain Lion 13.3" @ 1280 x 800 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 480m@2.67GHz AMD Radeon Mobility 5650 4GB DDR3 500GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 64bit HP 15.6" 1366x768 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E7500 Intel...:( MSI GTS250 1GB 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Windows XP 17" LG CRT 1280x768@85hz 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
MacBook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
Desktop
(13 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3210 @ 2.5 GHz Intel HD4000 4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz 500 GB @ 5400 RPM 
OSMonitor
OSX Mountain Lion 13.3" @ 1280 x 800 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 480m@2.67GHz AMD Radeon Mobility 5650 4GB DDR3 500GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 64bit HP 15.6" 1366x768 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E7500 Intel...:( MSI GTS250 1GB 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Windows XP 17" LG CRT 1280x768@85hz 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} View Post

You mean Go by Google, right? Not "Go!", I presume.

I looked into it a while ago but never really considered getting into it seriously.

If you have experience with it, how would you say it compares to more mainstream languages like C++/Java or more scripting-oriented languages like Python?

Have you done a substantial amount of programming in it?

Also, is it me or have you created a similar thread before?

I didn't think I've posted this before, but my memory is shocking so there's every chance I may have done.

Go / Golang / Google Go is basically the power of a compiled language but with the speed of development and ease of development of a scripting language. If I was to sum it in a nut shell.

I do like C++, but these days it's just over kill for most development projects. Yet a Python or Perl scriptooften feels like too much of a compromise.
post #4 of 13
I've worked around with it for a bit, but I haven't found a use for learning it when the stuff I write could just as easily be done in C. (Not saying Go doesn't have its place, just the stuff I do doesn't really use it to full effect, i.e. tens of thousands of threads smile.gif).
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I didn't think I've posted this before, but my memory is shocking so there's every chance I may have done.

Go / Golang / Google Go is basically the power of a compiled language but with the speed of development and ease of development of a scripting language. If I was to sum it in a nut shell.

I do like C++, but these days it's just over kill for most development projects. Yet a Python or Perl scriptooften feels like too much of a compromise.

Google has a white paper comparing C++, java, scala, and go. Their final report was that java was simpler to implement and C++ was several times faster and used less memory. This has had me wonder why I should mess with go. It offers nothing new in syntax from what I can tell. If I'm worried about speed then I'll use Common Lisp/shen (or maybe a combination of Python and C).

If I were to learn a new language, I would choose one of: smalltalk, haskell or maybe D. These languages interest me because the first is often considered the purest object oriented language, the second is often considered the purest functional language, and the third offers a different take on C++ with features such as garbage collection.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post

Google has a white paper comparing C++, java, scala, and go. Their final report was that java was simpler to implement and C++ was several times faster and used less memory. This has had me wonder why I should mess with go. It offers nothing new in syntax from what I can tell. If I'm worried about speed then I'll use Common Lisp/shen (or maybe a combination of Python and C).

If I were to learn a new language, I would choose one of: smalltalk, haskell or maybe D. These languages interest me because the first is often considered the purest object oriented language, the second is often considered the purest functional language, and the third offers a different take on C++ with features such as garbage collection.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, though I haven't read the paper you're alluding too.
MacBook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
Desktop
(13 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3210 @ 2.5 GHz Intel HD4000 4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz 500 GB @ 5400 RPM 
OSMonitor
OSX Mountain Lion 13.3" @ 1280 x 800 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 480m@2.67GHz AMD Radeon Mobility 5650 4GB DDR3 500GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 64bit HP 15.6" 1366x768 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E7500 Intel...:( MSI GTS250 1GB 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Windows XP 17" LG CRT 1280x768@85hz 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
MacBook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
Desktop
(13 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 3210 @ 2.5 GHz Intel HD4000 4 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz 500 GB @ 5400 RPM 
OSMonitor
OSX Mountain Lion 13.3" @ 1280 x 800 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i5 480m@2.67GHz AMD Radeon Mobility 5650 4GB DDR3 500GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 64bit HP 15.6" 1366x768 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E7500 Intel...:( MSI GTS250 1GB 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Windows XP 17" LG CRT 1280x768@85hz 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Unregistered} View Post

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, though I haven't read the paper you're alluding too.

Here's a link (PDF) I dredged up from stackoverflow.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post

Google has a white paper comparing C++, java, scala, and go. Their final report was that java was simpler to implement and C++ was several times faster and used less memory. This has had me wonder why I should mess with go. It offers nothing new in syntax from what I can tell. If I'm worried about speed then I'll use Common Lisp/shen (or maybe a combination of Python and C).
I'm not normally one to argue that a professional organisation is talking out of their behind, but if that was even remotely true then I wouldn't have bothered to learn Go to begin with.

While it's true that C++ and Java will out perform Go in terms of raw execution speed of the compiled binary, Go is a million miles ahead of both of these in terms of code verbosity. This is the main reason why I warmed to Go. I can (and do) write applications in both C++ and Java. I even love C++ as a language. But C++ is over kill for most projects these days and Java is just needlessly verbose (I have a boat load of other complaints against Java, but none of them relevant to this comparison). Because of how much longer development time takes in those two languages, I've found myself increasingly using Perl; which I can bang code out in minutes. However after trying Go, it fits that gap perfectly as it has both the performance of a strictly typed compiled language but also the speed and ease of development of a scripting language (Perl, Python, etc).

I appreciate that not everyone has that niche that needs filling, and I'm not saying that's the only benefit Go has to offer. But it is what sold Go to me.

I'm also probably coming off as somewhat of a Go fanboy, and I'm really not. I was just curious to see if there are any other Go developers on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post

If I were to learn a new language, I would choose one of: smalltalk, haskell or maybe D. These languages interest me because the first is often considered the purest object oriented language, the second is often considered the purest functional language, and the third offers a different take on C++ with features such as garbage collection.
With the greatest of respect, this thread isn't "what language is next on your 'to learn' list?" This thread is specifically about Go. I've already started a thread for people who do want to natter on about their language TODO list so that comment is probably better off there smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helrich View Post

I've worked around with it for a bit, but I haven't found a use for learning it when the stuff I write could just as easily be done in C. (Not saying Go doesn't have its place, just the stuff I do doesn't really use it to full effect, i.e. tens of thousands of threads smile.gif).
I think you have that the wrong way round personally. If I were writing an daemon that needed tens of thousands of threads then I'd write that in C with POSIX threads. Go comes into it's own for stuff that are written in C because that's what they're always written in - even when performance wasn't an issue. So where I've been using it is when there's stuff that I would have written in C/C++ because that's what I knew, but it could have more easily been written in another language.
post #9 of 13
I've played with it a bit but that's about it. It's pretty nice though actually.
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I'm not normally one to argue that a professional organisation is talking out of their behind, but if that was even remotely true then I wouldn't have bothered to learn Go to begin with.

While it's true that C++ and Java will out perform Go in terms of raw execution speed of the compiled binary, Go is a million miles ahead of both of these in terms of code verbosity. This is the main reason why I warmed to Go. I can (and do) write applications in both C++ and Java. I even love C++ as a language. But C++ is over kill for most projects these days and Java is just needlessly verbose (I have a boat load of other complaints against Java, but none of them relevant to this comparison). Because of how much longer development time takes in those two languages, I've found myself increasingly using Perl; which I can bang code out in minutes. However after trying Go, it fits that gap perfectly as it has both the performance of a strictly typed compiled language but also the speed and ease of development of a scripting language (Perl, Python, etc).

I appreciate that not everyone has that niche that needs filling, and I'm not saying that's the only benefit Go has to offer. But it is what sold Go to me.

I'm also probably coming off as somewhat of a Go fanboy, and I'm really not. I was just curious to see if there are any other Go developers on here.
I'm no fan of Java (to the contrary, I have a huge dislike).

That said, why would I use go instead of a combination of C and Python? Python is extremely dense compared to most languages (including Go from what I've seen) while the loops that make up the majority of executed code can be written in C where the performance advantage over go exists already. The same statements go for Common Lisp/shen where code can be compiled and later type optimized for much better performance (in fact, shen allows you to turn static typing on and off as you desire).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

With the greatest of respect, this thread isn't "what language is next on your 'to learn' list?" This thread is specifically about Go. I've already started a thread for people who do want to natter on about their language TODO list so that comment is probably better off there smile.gif

I was commenting on why I haven't commented on go and one important reason is the language use case (and I feel based on my reading of various sites that this reason holds true for many other programmers). I don't oppose people using go, but MY reason for not learning it is simply due to not having sufficient time. If I had the time, I wouldn't think twice about learning another language.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Coding and Programming
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Any other Go programmers here?