Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Techspot] Early SimCity adopters to receive free game for their troubles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Techspot] Early SimCity adopters to receive free game for their troubles - Page 3

post #21 of 29
It seems like there hasn't been a finished game released in forever. Every game nowadays seems to launch in beta so you pay your $60+ and get to test the game until it actually works weeks or months after release.

Although I really want to know how sim city became a multiplayer game. It should have the option of being singleplayer just like the previous iterations of the game.
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

It seems like there hasn't been a finished game released in forever. Every game nowadays seems to launch in beta so you pay your $60+ and get to test the game until it actually works weeks or months after release.

Although I really want to know how sim city became a multiplayer game. It should have the option of being singleplayer just like the previous iterations of the game.

You join or create a region, public (anyone can join) or private (invite friends). Different regions have 7-16 locations for cities.

Different areas of the region hold different resources such as oil/ore/coal. The purpose of online play is for neighbors to help each other out by exchanging resources and by collaborating on a/several "Great Works" sites in their region. Great Works sites may include a large central airport to attract tourists, railroad shipments, etc. I haven't worked on one just yet but I think you can zone a huge industrial area at the Great Works site to avoid placing one throughout your cities.

Creating a private region without inviting any friends is essentially single player mode, but it officially isn't, as the purpose of private regions is to play with friends.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

It seems like there hasn't been a finished game released in forever. Every game nowadays seems to launch in beta so you pay your $60+ and get to test the game until it actually works weeks or months after release.

Although I really want to know how sim city became a multiplayer game. It should have the option of being singleplayer just like the previous iterations of the game.

It's almost impossible to release a bug-free game. Games get more complicated as time goes by and people will play games in ways that developers could never predict (some even do their best to break games). Even with an open beta, only a small fraction of the people who plan to buy the game will be playing it so it's still hard to find every single bug.

The reason why there's no offline option is because much of the simulation is handled server side. That's also why people are going to have a very difficult time trying to crack the game.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

You join or create a region, public (anyone can join) or private (invite friends). Different regions have 7-16 locations for cities.

Different areas of the region hold different resources such as oil/ore/coal. The purpose of online play is for neighbors to help each other out by exchanging resources and by collaborating on a/several "Great Works" sites in their region. Great Works sites may include a large central airport to attract tourists, railroad shipments, etc. I haven't worked on one just yet but I think you can zone a huge industrial area at the Great Works site to avoid placing one throughout your cities.

Creating a private region without inviting any friends is essentially single player mode, but it officially isn't, as the purpose of private regions is to play with friends.

I would like to add that you can claim all of the cities in an area, or have no friends. Those are some ways of making private games completely single player, but you still need to be connected to the servers to play.


>>
Maxis has no intentions to make the game stand alone, however they said that it was possible(obviously).

Overall I'm pleased with the game play (when I'm able to play it), but I won't be happy with it until they have improved servers more and increase map size. I have had connection issues unrelated to my end, every day since the game has been released.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

It's almost impossible to release a bug-free game.

I definitely agree with you on that one but with launches like SC and D3 where you simply could not play the game on the release day because of server issues is kind of ridiculous....why not just release the game when it is actually playable? It doesn't make sense to release the game if no on can play it because you need a few more days/weeks to upgrade them. That should have been done BEFORE the release.
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

I definitely agree with you on that one but with launches like SC and D3 where you simply could not play the game on the release day because of server issues is kind of ridiculous....why not just release the game when it is actually playable? It doesn't make sense to release the game if no on can play it because you need a few more days/weeks to upgrade them. That should have been done BEFORE the release.

It would be nice if they could, but there's a lot of people who don't preorder the game and having a free open beta won't give a good estimate of how many people will buy the game because there will be a bunch of people who play it just because it's free so there's no real way to predict how many people will be playing day one. It's just something that needs to be dealt with as it comes along.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

It's almost impossible to release a bug-free game.

I definitely agree with you on that one but with launches like SC and D3 where you simply could not play the game on the release day because of server issues is kind of ridiculous....why not just release the game when it is actually playable? It doesn't make sense to release the game if no on can play it because you need a few more days/weeks to upgrade them. That should have been done BEFORE the release.

It's impossible for them to have known what issues were going to come up when X million players all downloaded and got into the game. Im. Possible. Even if they were to make the beta totally open to the public, impossible. Not all X million players that purchase the game are going to be on the beta concurrently. That, and the beta doesn't have all the final ongoing features (therefor not the same stress load on the servers) that the game has now.
Edited by Stealth Pyros - 3/11/13 at 9:52am
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

1. Already works just fine.
2. The always-online requirement isn't the DRM portion of the game. The game's DRM is requiring you to register the game on your Origin account. The always-online requirement is strictly for actually playing the game, to either join or create a public or private region.

People were all up in arms about BF3's always online requirement and got over it rather quickly. Those that truly didn't buy the game and successfully boycotted it have just missed out on it and EA couldn't care less about that minority.

Actually I would say it didnt work fine, expecially when you couldn't log on....even when they gimped the game of features to reduce the server problems.
Home PC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 - 4770k MSI Z87 Mpower Max AMD R9 290x G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer NZXT Kraken x60 
MonitorPower
Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor Rosewill Capstone 750 modular 
  hide details  
Reply
Home PC
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 - 4770k MSI Z87 Mpower Max AMD R9 290x G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer NZXT Kraken x60 
MonitorPower
Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor Rosewill Capstone 750 modular 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb222 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

1. Already works just fine.
2. The always-online requirement isn't the DRM portion of the game. The game's DRM is requiring you to register the game on your Origin account. The always-online requirement is strictly for actually playing the game, to either join or create a public or private region.

People were all up in arms about BF3's always online requirement and got over it rather quickly. Those that truly didn't buy the game and successfully boycotted it have just missed out on it and EA couldn't care less about that minority.

Actually I would say it didnt work fine, expecially when you couldn't log on....even when they gimped the game of features to reduce the server problems.

EA's server logs showing millions of actively playing customers (and constructed cities) would indicate otherwise in any sort of legal matter if what you're implying is that a class action against EA for this would be effective.
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k, 4.6GHz, 1.304v ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 2x Sapphire HD7970 OC with Boost, 1150 MHz/1550... 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Samsung 750GB HD753LJ Samsung F3 ASUS 24X DVD Combo Drive 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua DH14 Windows 8 Professional x64 Crossover 27Q 27" IPS LED, 2560x1440 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Cooler Master HAF932 Logitech G500 Custom 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 2x Dayton B652 Bookshelf Dayton DTA-100A Amplifier Dayton 12" SUB-1200 Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Techspot] Early SimCity adopters to receive free game for their troubles