Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Worth going from 580 SLI to single 670 while I can still possibly sell 580's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worth going from 580 SLI to single 670 while I can still possibly sell 580's? - Page 3

post #21 of 35
Dude, my GTX470's still rock biggrin.gif (1920x1200, single monitor)

And past week I finaly OC'd the cards tongue.gif

Mafia 2 benchmark @ stock (608MHz) = 50fps

Mafia 2 @ 900MHz = 70fps

Air cooled by Zalman VF3000

Heaven can do 1 run @ 895MHz (900MHz crashes at very last 5 seconds???)
(you can't call 1 run stable, but the temp went too high after it... but if I could cool them...)
   
Main Laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 3.4GHz @ 5.2GHz ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3) SLi ASUS GTX780Ti DC2OC 16GB (4x 4GB) Vengeance 1866MHz @ 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
C: Crucial MX200 250GB D: Caviar Black 2TB E: Spinpoint 750GB F: Raptor 150GB (Ubuntu 12.04 Dual Boot) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BD Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair 1kW Antec 1200 Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D Logitech Z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 (2.6GHz to 3.8GHz) ASUS 780i Striker II Formula ASUS GTX 470 8Gb (4x2Gb) Dominators 1066MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial M4 256GB D: 1x Raptor 150Gb & E: + F... ASUS DVD + DVD(RW) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ASUS 26" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 750W Antec 300 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D ASUS Cine5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 something something ASUS N750JV nVidia 750M 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial MX200 mSATA 250GB + D: WD 1TB 5k4 E:... DVD-RAM DL C: Windows 7 64-bit, E: Linux Elementary OS Luna 17" 1080p 
Mouse
ASUS Optical USB 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Main Laptop
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 3.4GHz @ 5.2GHz ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3) SLi ASUS GTX780Ti DC2OC 16GB (4x 4GB) Vengeance 1866MHz @ 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
C: Crucial MX200 250GB D: Caviar Black 2TB E: Spinpoint 750GB F: Raptor 150GB (Ubuntu 12.04 Dual Boot) 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BD Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair 1kW Antec 1200 Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D Logitech Z-5500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 (2.6GHz to 3.8GHz) ASUS 780i Striker II Formula ASUS GTX 470 8Gb (4x2Gb) Dominators 1066MHz DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial M4 256GB D: 1x Raptor 150Gb & E: + F... ASUS DVD + DVD(RW) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ASUS 26" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 750W Antec 300 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
A4 paper :D ASUS Cine5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 something something ASUS N750JV nVidia 750M 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C: Crucial MX200 mSATA 250GB + D: WD 1TB 5k4 E:... DVD-RAM DL C: Windows 7 64-bit, E: Linux Elementary OS Luna 17" 1080p 
Mouse
ASUS Optical USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 35
Has anyone ever tested Quad 580's? I'm curious how they perform.
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 35
I'm kinda going through a similar situation. I currently have an evga gtx 580 1.5 gb, and was looking to upgrade. The thing is, I cant decide if I want to pick up a 670/680, or get another 580 to sli. I only have the stock coolers and was worried about temps, that's the only reason why I haven't gone 2 cards. I figured I would have to watercool them, and that in itself would cost way more than getting a new card. Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagpirate View Post

I'm kinda going through a similar situation. I currently have an evga gtx 580 1.5 gb, and was looking to upgrade. The thing is, I cant decide if I want to pick up a 670/680, or get another 580 to sli. I only have the stock coolers and was worried about temps, that's the only reason why I haven't gone 2 cards. I figured I would have to watercool them, and that in itself would cost way more than getting a new card. Any thoughts or suggestions?

What is your 8120 clocked at? Your CPU will bottleneck 2 580's
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

What is your 8120 clocked at? Your CPU will bottleneck 2 580's
It's currently clocked at 3.5. But I am upgrading to an 8350, which has a base clock of 4.0.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagpirate View Post

It's currently clocked at 3.5. But I am upgrading to an 8350, which has a base clock of 4.0.

Grab an 8320 and just overclock it. Same processor as the 8350 just clocked lower
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 35
I would go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Grab an 8320 and just overclock it. Same processor as the 8350 just clocked lower
the only reason I was thinking 8350 was because they are currently on sale at a local microcenter for 169.99. And I figured it would give me higher oc headroom
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagpirate View Post

I would go
the only reason I was thinking 8350 was because they are currently on sale at a local microcenter for 169.99. And I figured it would give me higher oc headroom

What are you shooting for? 4.6Ghz? 5Ghz? 8320 should easily surpass 4.6. MC should have the 8320 for 139.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 35
Well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

What are you shooting for? 4.6Ghz? 5Ghz? 8320 should easily surpass 4.6. MC should have the 8320 for 139.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor
honestly I would like to take the CPU as far as it will go, but I have only been able to do light overclocks because I am afraid that the vrm's on my sabertooth ate getting too hot. They can get up to 63c sometimes, which I find alarming. Though I honestly don't know the threshold for vrm's, as I have not Ben able to find any information on it other than the voltage limit. (Mine is currently stock voltage)
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagpirate View Post

Well
honestly I would like to take the CPU as far as it will go, but I have only been able to do light overclocks because I am afraid that the vrm's on my sabertooth ate getting too hot. They can get up to 63c sometimes, which I find alarming. Though I honestly don't know the threshold for vrm's, as I have not Ben able to find any information on it other than the voltage limit. (Mine is currently stock voltage)

You'll need high end air or water for 5Ghz. VRM's usually max around 100C. You typically want to keep them as cool as possible.

When i say high end air i mean D14, Phlanteks thumb.gif
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Worth going from 580 SLI to single 670 while I can still possibly sell 580's?