Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › whats the best cpu fan/heatsink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whats the best cpu fan/heatsink - Page 2

post #11 of 46
Best air cooler out there is still likely going to be the Noctua NH-D14

btw no one puts their temps in Fahrenheit, 63C [aka 145F] is a fairly normal and not unreasonable temperature.
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 46
you could pick up a hyper 212+ and change the fans of the cooler and your case to some noctua
post #13 of 46
If you have an unlocked Phenom 2 then the OC will probably be limited. You didnt say anything about noise, therefore i assume you dont care.
So with that in mind pretty much all aftermarket coolers will drop your temps significantly. Just get the cheapest 120mm fan based tower cooler you can find, often times this is a CM 212, wich is why it's recommended a lot. But also a Xigmatek Gaia, Thermalright True Spirit and countless others might be an option depending on the price.

Thermalright has some great budget heatsinks:
http://www.nansgaminggear.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1818
Edited by Elohim - 3/13/13 at 5:14am
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Best air cooler out there is still likely going to be the Noctua NH-D14

btw no one puts their temps in Fahrenheit, 63C [aka 145F] is a fairly normal and not unreasonable temperature.
sorry i will try to do C instead of F for now on lol
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

If you have an unlocked Phenom 2 then the OC will probably be limited. You didnt say anything about noise, therefore i assume you dont care.
So with that in mind pretty much all aftermarket coolers will drop your temps significantly. Just get the cheapest 120mm fan based tower cooler you can find, often times this is a CM 212, wich is why it's recommended a lot. But also a Xigmatek Gaia, Thermalright True Spirit and countless others might be an option depending on the price.

Thermalright has some great budget heatsinks:
http://www.nansgaminggear.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1818
whats your opinion on this cooler i been looking at its cheap also
Enermax ETS-T40-TA CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214024
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 46
It's also an OK option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023
this is essentially the same, just without leds and without nickleplating, but cheaper.
Personally i would avoid direct touch heatsinks though...
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlintm View Post

i did put my specs in my sig but here is it anyways

Case Rosewill Conqueror
Ram Gskill PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 4x4gb Only running at 800mhz
Motherboard Asrock A770DE+

Thanks for the system specs but, we need to know what our CPU clearance is and how tall your RAM is. I don't know what those measurements are and don't have time to search for them. I think PC2-8500 is 20.5mm tall but I'm not sure. If you have 170mm CPU clearance the world is your oyster but there are many cooler not as tall.

Here's a short list of twin tower coolers:
Cooler size comparison (Width x Depth x Height looking from front of case with motherboard laying flat)
K2 . . . . . .= . . . . 8x 6mm pipes 140x128x158mm 146x154x160mm w/ 120mm & 140mm PWM fans 43.2mm*
D14 . . . . .= . . . . 6x 6mm pipes 140x130x160mm 140x158x160mm w/ only 2011 has PWM fans 44mm*
TC14 . . . . .= . . . 5x 8mm pipes 140x134x160mm 140x159x171mm w/fans, PWM adaptor included 40-45mm*
Silver Arrow . . = . 4x 8mm pipes 147x123x163mm 151x149x168mm w/Fans 40.87mm*
SA SB-E . . . .= . . 8x 6mm pipes 155x105x164mm 170x130x170mm w/ 140mm & 150mm PWM fans 31.9/39/46mm**
SA SB-E Extreme . 8x 6mm pipes 155x105x164mm 155x130x165mm w/fans Reason it's smaller is 140mm fan vs 150mm fan.
HE01 . . . . . = . . . 6x 6mm pipes 140x119c160mm w/ 140x38mm PWM fan
Dark Rock Pro . = . 7x 6mm pipes 133x124x166mm 133x149x166mm w/ 120mm & 135mm PWM fans

* cooler base to bottom fin. (add 8mm for motherboard to bottom fin.)
** fins are at 3 different levels
Edited by doyll - 3/13/13 at 5:30am
post #18 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

It's also an OK option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023
this is essentially the same, just without leds and without nickleplating, but cheaper.
Personally i would avoid direct touch heatsinks though...
oh nice but im trying to make my pc glow more blue then what it already is and keep it cooler at the same time thats why i been looking at that cpu cooler lol
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Thanks for the system specs but, we need to know what our CPU clearance is and how tall your RAM is. I don't know what those measurements are and don't have time to search for them. I think PC2-8500 is 20.5mm tall but I'm not sure. If you have 170mm CPU clearance the world is your oyster but there are many cooler not as tall.

Here's a short list of twin tower coolers:
Cooler size comparison (Width x Depth x Height looking from front of case with motherboard laying flat)
K2 . . . . . .= . . . . 8x 6mm pipes 140x128x158mm 146x154x160mm w/ 120mm & 140mm PWM fans 43.2mm*
D14 . . . . .= . . . . 6x 6mm pipes 140x130x160mm 140x158x160mm w/ only 2011 has PWM fans 44mm*
TC14 . . . . .= . . . 5x 8mm pipes 140x134x160mm 140x159x171mm w/fans, PWM adaptor included 40-45mm*
Silver Arrow . . = . 4x 8mm pipes 147x123x163mm 151x149x168mm w/Fans 40.87mm*
SA SB-E . . . .= . . 8x 6mm pipes 155x105x164mm 170x130x170mm w/ 140mm & 150mm PWM fans 31.9/39/46mm**
SA SB-E Extreme . 8x 6mm pipes 155x105x164mm 155x130x165mm w/fans Reason it's smaller is 140mm fan vs 150mm fan.
HE01 . . . . .= . . . 6x 6mm pipes 140x119c160mm w/ 140x38mm PWM fan
Dark Rock Pro .= . 7x 6mm pipes 133x124x166mm 133x149x166mm w/ 120mm & 135mm PWM fans

* cooler base to bottom fin. (add 8mm for motherboard to bottom fin.)
** fins are at 3 different levels
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246
thoes are the type of ram sticks i have there gaming sticks and they also make smaller ones
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Devil
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 990FX Killer PowerColor RED DEVIL Golden Radeon RX 580 G.SKILL Sniper Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 Series Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit Build 1... 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269) AOC Internationa 2269W (AOC2269)  Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5 Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse Logitech Speaker z180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlintm View Post

oh nice but im trying to make my pc glow more blue then what it already is and keep it cooler at the same time thats why i been looking at that cpu cooler lol

than get it, it's just not the best value for that price, but if you dont carte than get it. thumb.gif
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › whats the best cpu fan/heatsink