Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Fedora 17 fresh install bugs!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fedora 17 fresh install bugs! - Page 3

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

and run multiple filers, switch between your mouse and your keyboard ten times, wait for the annoying thing to install with a dumb 'progress' bar that tells you little, or have a whole window dedicated to running the one GUI when in a terminal you can be doing other things in the same window. yup, you got me, that sounds 10x better.

Process of installing a package for me:

Alt-Shift-Enter (open terminal)
sudo aptitude install program, and sudo aptitude search program. If I need more then one program it's aptitude install program1 program2.
view useful info and hit y
done

as for searching in between, I open nano inside a tmux tile and just c/p the names I want the few times that is actually needed

I'm not going to go through this, I like a GUI package manager and feels it serves it's purpose for me. I'm not OCD on speed, how few steps it takes to do something, how much effort I take to do it. I'm lazy, mentally and physically. Maybe I think a GUI looks better and so I avoid the terminal for an aesthetic preference, doesn't matter. We are arguing over an act that takes you less than 30 seconds (either way), is it really that big of a deal to prove to somebody that it's 30 seconds faster? I think it's classified as fast enough, without going into the steps because it doesn't matter.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 25
it started with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzarth View Post

or just click two checkboxes in synaptic IIRC...

when in fact the solution is much easier though a text editor. which also gives you more control, to add other repositorys outside of contrib/non-free
Warning: Example (Click to show)
Code:
##LMDE##
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
deb http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb-src http://lmde-mirror.gwendallebihan.net/latest/multimedia testing main non-free

##NETFLIX##
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu oneiric main

##CHROME##
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

##LIQUORIX##
deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
deb-src http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

##ICEWEASEL##
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-aurora
deb-src http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-aurora

I couldn't care less about what you use, because I know you've had enough experience to know your way well around both. But for people who don't / I don't know if they do I wouldn't want to just say "yeah, that GUI thing, use that" after they've had some time with Linux because I know the whole reason I went to command line only was because the GUI was dead-ass slow. someone might just assume that's how long things take if they don't know better. I don't want to limit anyone's options and whenever I hear GUI system management it means limiting peoples options and controls. With that said, some are really useful, my favourite is this:



I mean, how awesome is that? cut my gnome3 start up ram use down to 200mbs with that baby. but then's theres some like this or this:



not that obconf is bad for on the go, but if you haven't played with rc.xml your really missing out on something

I don't find synaptic bad. out of all the GUI package managers it's probably the best. I just fail to see myself (or most other people) opening synaptic instead and just typing aptitude, for the commands or the ncurses-like interface (which is often forgotten)

post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
First of all thanks for all the suggests regarding my friend's issue with his fedora install. His computer being essential for school, he decided to go back to Windows 7 (for the time being).

Personally I try and use the terminal for whatever I can, I would like knowing exactly what is going on with my repositories, installs and whatnot. The whole ppa and repository thing feels daunting at times though, but I hope with more experience, I'll gain understanding for how it works.

I was introduced to vim by my professor earlier this semester and am absolutely loving the terminal, using vim I have also gained some experience with working with functions in the terminal which is great!

I am hoping to finally leave windows and run 'linux' as my main OS in the next couple of months. I went to a small presentation about Arch yesterday at my school and am very interested in going down that path at somepoint. Not quite yet though. biggrin.gif
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
Combat 1.1
(16 items)
 
PAIN
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K P9X79 PRO GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 970 Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung  Crucial M4 64GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 1TB ASUS 24x DVD Burner 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultamite 64 bit Arch Linux ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LC... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Combo mk520 Seasonic X Series 650W NXT Phantom 410 Logitech Combo mk520 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  Samsung  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung  Seagate Barracuda HDD Crucial M4 SSD Corsair H80 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Enterprise Seasonic M12II 750w Plexiglass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

it started with this
when in fact the solution is much easier though a text editor. which also gives you more control, to add other repositories outside of contrib/non-free

I disagree with that, clicking two checkboxes is absolutely easier for someone coming from, say, windows. And if you don't know what you are doing, adding two words to a line of sources.list doesn't make you any wiser than clicking two checkboxes. Also, you can add repositories in synaptic.

If you want to learn, that's fine, use terminal for whatever you can. If you want to be efficient, that's great, use whatever makes you efficient. If you want to do things with least effort, that's fine as well, use the tools that use concepts you are familiar with.

For you (and a lot of others on this forum), changing something in sources is trivial. For someone who has not seen terminal in his life it's quite complicated, you need to switch to root, change directories, open file in an editor, change something in it, save it, and then update the list. And good luck if you end up in vi.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 M4N78 SE NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 G. Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar Black 750GB Scythe Mugen 3 Samsung SyncMaster P2370 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic M12II Bronze 650W Generic beige server case, on wheels. Mad Catz R.A.T. 5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 M4N78 SE NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 G. Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
WD Caviar Black 750GB Scythe Mugen 3 Samsung SyncMaster P2370 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic M12II Bronze 650W Generic beige server case, on wheels. Mad Catz R.A.T. 5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzarth View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

it started with this
when in fact the solution is much easier though a text editor. which also gives you more control, to add other repositories outside of contrib/non-free

I disagree with that, clicking two checkboxes is absolutely easier for someone coming from, say, windows. And if you don't know what you are doing, adding two words to a line of sources.list doesn't make you any wiser than clicking two checkboxes. Also, you can add repositories in synaptic.

If you want to learn, that's fine, use terminal for whatever you can. If you want to be efficient, that's great, use whatever makes you efficient. If you want to do things with least effort, that's fine as well, use the tools that use concepts you are familiar with.

For you (and a lot of others on this forum), changing something in sources is trivial. For someone who has not seen terminal in his life it's quite complicated, you need to switch to root, change directories, open file in an editor, change something in it, save it, and then update the list. And good luck if you end up in vi.

1. use nano or your gtk/qt editor
2. I'm not talking about forcing total noobs to use the terminal, just saying that after getting used to some things every new user should know there way in and out of aptitude, yum, and pacman.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Fedora 17 fresh install bugs!