Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Gigabyte 7950 vs ASUS 7950 vs ASUS 660 Ti
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte 7950 vs ASUS 7950 vs ASUS 660 Ti

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Those are basically my choices, lest I order abroad which I'd rather not do due to RMA.

Gigabyte HD7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD

ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5

MSi is out, forever, due to my current 560 Ti Hawk being the biggest pos this side of a waste management facility and their customer service sucking all of the balls. €309 is also my max spending limit, in case any fellow Belgians find something else somewhere. My signature rig is up to date, and I play pretty much everything and anything that strikes my fancy. BF4 is definitely on my list for later this year, and I assume that'll be the most intensive game until The Witcher 3 comes out (which is also on my list) or the new Metro (ayup, on da list).

I'm looking for a smooth gameplay experience, it doesn't have to be Ultra, a mix of High and Medium is fine. But what I don't want are random freezes when it's not the game's fault because it's a worthless piece of plastic that reads temps wrong, or just really overheats like a fat guy in the Sahara even though the fans are running at max. Fans, by the way, that are positively deafening. No shenanigans, no screaming fans, just smooth sailing. I don't really care about overclocking either, that way shenanigans lies.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.
post #2 of 22
What resolution will you be using?
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
Gigabyte HD7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD hands down !
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

What resolution will you be using?

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something. I'll be playing at 1920*1200.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post

Damn, I knew I'd forgotten something. I'll be playing at 1920*1200.
7950 is faster then a GTX 660 Ti it can even trade blows with the GTX 680 when overclocked

If you dont mind the huge size of the cooler the Asus CU II cooler is damm near silent if you do mind the size and wants something smaller then Gigabyte and Sapphire 7950 cards

If you want Physx and Adaptive Vsync then its the GTX 660 TI
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

7950 is faster then a GTX 660 Ti it can even trade blows with the GTX 680 when overclocked

If you dont mind the huge size of the cooler the Asus CU II cooler is damm near silent if you do mind the size and wants something smaller then Gigabyte and Sapphire 7950 cards

If you want Physx and Adaptive Vsync then its the GTX 660 TI

Size isn't an issue, I removed one HDD bay to improve airflow so I can fit a card up to 18" in length and it's also my only card so height-wise I've got oceans of space too.

PhysX did add a lot of flavour to my Arkham playthroughs, but if the 7950 is noticeably more powerful then I'll be able to live without it. And isn't Adaptive Vsync just a fancy word for a framelimiter? I'll probably manage.

So the ASUS card is overall better than the Gigabyte? Not too many people with problems have cropped up over the past year on these here fine forums? It would be nice to save a few bucks, I always figured ASUS' cooler was great but GB's Windforce was better.
post #7 of 22
im currently overclocking/benching mine on air and its pretty awesome for the money....I think you still get free games through never settled etc. for looks, quietness and cooling I love this Asus!
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post

Size isn't an issue, I removed one HDD bay to improve airflow so I can fit a card up to 18" in length and it's also my only card so height-wise I've got oceans of space too.

PhysX did add a lot of flavour to my Arkham playthroughs, but if the 7950 is noticeably more powerful then I'll be able to live without it. And isn't Adaptive Vsync just a fancy word for a framelimiter? I'll probably manage.

So the ASUS card is overall better than the Gigabyte? Not too many people with problems have cropped up over the past year on these here fine forums? It would be nice to save a few bucks, I always figured ASUS' cooler was great but GB's Windforce was better.

I have a Asus GTX 680 CU II OC card and i have never seen the fan speed above 33% even with a heavy overclock and at that speed its very silent

And Adaptive Vsync is one of the best things to come out in years what it does is fix the problem normal Vsync has.
What its does is limit the FPS to 60 FPS on a 60 MHz monitor or 120 FPS on a 120 MHz and that pevents screen tearing but where normal Vsync can only work at 15/30/60/120 FPS Adaptive Vsync just turns itself off when it goes under 60/120 FPS and it makes the game seems so much more smooth and playable
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 1 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post

Those are basically my choices, lest I order abroad which I'd rather not do due to RMA.

Gigabyte HD7950 GV-R795WF3-3GD

ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5

MSi is out, forever, due to my current 560 Ti Hawk being the biggest pos this side of a waste management facility and their customer service sucking all of the balls. €309 is also my max spending limit, in case any fellow Belgians find something else somewhere. My signature rig is up to date, and I play pretty much everything and anything that strikes my fancy. BF4 is definitely on my list for later this year, and I assume that'll be the most intensive game until The Witcher 3 comes out (which is also on my list) or the new Metro (ayup, on da list).

I'm looking for a smooth gameplay experience, it doesn't have to be Ultra, a mix of High and Medium is fine. But what I don't want are random freezes when it's not the game's fault because it's a worthless piece of plastic that reads temps wrong, or just really overheats like a fat guy in the Sahara even though the fans are running at max. Fans, by the way, that are positively deafening. No shenanigans, no screaming fans, just smooth sailing. I don't really care about overclocking either, that way shenanigans lies.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

Asus 7950 DC2 hands down thumb.gif
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
id go with sapphire one 299 http://www.alternate.be/html/product/SAPPHIRE/HD_7950_3GB_with_Boost_(11196-19-20G)/1060525/? with boost, beasty card, great reviews smile.gif nice cooler aswell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Gigabyte 7950 vs ASUS 7950 vs ASUS 660 Ti