Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Tom's Hardware] Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Tom's Hardware] Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed - Page 39

post #381 of 571
The real reason to get Haswell is TSX instruction sets.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Phenom II x6 1090T gigabye UD7 990FX 5870 G.skill flare 2 x 4gbs 2000mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
westerdigital cooler master eisberg 240L Vista 64 bit spceptre 1920 x 1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
muli-media ftw lol 1200 watt silverstone none another cheap one $20 
Mouse PadOther
none ATi 650 pro theater  
  hide details  
Reply
post #382 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

Then educate me. You seriously think that each time they do a tock, they do a brand new architecture from the ground up? And we're just focusing on the major architectures here, not the minor ones nobody outside of a few specialized applications use.

It took AMD several years to get Bulldozer to be ready, and when it came out, there were still a lot of rough, unfinished areas. Intel definitely doesn't do a ground up architecture every two years.

The core 2 architecture was brand new built from the ground up.....AMD ruffled Intel so bad with the Arhlon 64 that Intel had to make something completely new to put them back on top.

Nehealm was also brand new and built from the ground up, it brought HT back, added another memory controller and finally put the IMC in the CPU.

Sandy bridge was also built from the ground up but also shared many of the things that Intel learnt and implemented in Nehealm, memory controller got a major overal and so did various other parts of the architecture.

Haswell is pretty much the same story as Sandy Bridge, new architecture but borrows the best bits from the previous architecture.

And it did not take AMD several years to make Bulldozer, the Bulldozer they ended up releasing was not the original Bulldozer.

AMD had actually built a version of Bulldozer years ago but due to performance issues it was scraped and AMD went back to the drawing board and made Bulldozer v2.0 which is the Bulldozer that got released.
post #383 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty15 View Post

The core 2 architecture was brand new built from the ground up.....AMD ruffled Intel so bad with the Arhlon 64 that Intel had to make something completely new to put them back on top.

Nehealm was also brand new and built from the ground up, it brought HT back, added another memory controller and finally put the IMC in the CPU.

Sandy bridge was also built from the ground up but also shared many of the things that Intel learnt and implemented in Nehealm, memory controller got a major overal and so did various other parts of the architecture.

Haswell is pretty much the same story as Sandy Bridge, new architecture but borrows the best bits from the previous architecture.

And it did not take AMD several years to make Bulldozer, the Bulldozer they ended up releasing was not the original Bulldozer.

AMD had actually built a version of Bulldozer years ago but due to performance issues it was scraped and AMD went back to the drawing board and made Bulldozer v2.0 which is the Bulldozer that got released.

I thought the core 2 duo was an altered and improved upon pentium 3 design
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #384 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

I thought the core 2 duo was an altered and improved upon pentium 3 design

It was brand new... And ultimately kicked AMD's rear end and even to this AMD chips still struggle to surpass the Core 2's IPC.
post #385 of 571
Quote:
In 2006 Intel introduced its Core 2 microprocessors based on highly-tweaked Pentium III/P6 micro-architecture.

According to the bit tech core 2 duo article I'm correct. It wasn't a brand new design. It was a tweaked pentium 3 design
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #386 of 571
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #387 of 571
Triple post
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #388 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonkev666 View Post

The real reason to get Haswell is TSX instruction sets.

But the K series lacks TSX. Why would they do this?!
post #389 of 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

According to the bit tech core 2 duo article I'm correct. It wasn't a brand new design. It was a tweaked pentium 3 design
Quote:
The Intel Core Microarchitecture was designed from the ground up, but is similar to the Pentium M microarchitecture in design philosophy.

From WiKi..... Or do you honestly believe that a tweaked Pentium 3 kicked AMD's behind?
post #390 of 571
Glad I upgraded to x79. 3930K is going to be way better than this even stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonkev666 View Post

The real reason to get Haswell is TSX instruction sets.
Mind writing that in non-nerd speak dude?
Yung Muney!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 EVGA X79 SLI EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 520 SSD +1TB Win 7 64 Dell S2740L 27-inch Full HD Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Platinum Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Alienware TactX Beats By Dre Pro for Music 
Audio
Alienware TactX for Games 
  hide details  
Reply
Yung Muney!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 EVGA X79 SLI EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 520 SSD +1TB Win 7 64 Dell S2740L 27-inch Full HD Alienware TactX 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Platinum Thermaltake Chaser MK-I Alienware TactX Beats By Dre Pro for Music 
Audio
Alienware TactX for Games 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Tom's Hardware] Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed