Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Recommendations on duo core motherboard>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations on duo core motherboard> - Page 3

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock187 View Post
SO I should go with something non nvidia chipset and if I do what chipset should I run with intel?
I see no reason not to purchase the 680i, especially because you KNOW you will be utilizing the SLI feature. For most, I suggest purchasing a P5B over the 680i for one reason, and one reason only, proven reliability. However, the initial reviews and results from the 680i are for the most part positive, and because of this, and my experience with the 680i, I would definitely recommend it!
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubnotub1 View Post
I see no reason not to purchase the 680i, especially because you KNOW you will be utilizing the SLI feature. For most, I suggest purchasing a P5B over the 680i for one reason, and one reason only, proven reliability. However, the initial reviews and results from the 680i are for the most part positive, and because of this, and my experience with the 680i, I would definitely recommend it!
Well im willing to throw down up to 300 on a board that will last me and give me some nice stability, run nvidia GPU's well maybe SLI though im not sold on the whole SLI deal as of now, and want mad overclocking ability. I got that TT 120 coming and would like to see this E6400 run at 3.0Ghz if possible. Thats my goal anyway. Would you still recommend the 680i? I might plan on upgrading to a E6600 in a bit as well since the jump from 2.13 to 2.4 is a pretty good jump.


Another quick question, can you run an amd CPU on this P5NSLI or is it strictly intel?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock187 View Post

Another quick question, can you run an amd CPU on this P5NSLI or is it strictly intel?
LGA 775 chipset = Intel only

And yes, check out my CPU-z. I think it will serve you well.


PS. I realize you will have a lower multiplier , so tomorrow if you like I can go find the max FSB for my bored. If you are interested.
post #24 of 42
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat.

It could be your RAM more than your mobo holding you back. DDR2 667, especially if it isn't good RAM, will hold your FSB back big time, giving you crap OCing. I would say get a kit of DDr2 800 or DDR2 1000, and if you still can't OC well, get a new board. But even if you had the P5B Deluxe your RAM would keep you from scaling your FSB very high.

Just my 2 cents.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I repeat.

It could be your RAM more than your mobo holding you back. DDR2 667, especially if it isn't good RAM, will hold your FSB back big time, giving you crap OCing. I would say get a kit of DDr2 800 or DDR2 1000, and if you still can't OC well, get a new board. But even if you had the P5B Deluxe your RAM would keep you from scaling your FSB very high.

Just my 2 cents.
Well honestly I was thinking along the same lines of it either being a mobo or ram issue since this CPU is known for massive overclocks, ive heard good things about corsair value ram as well though its not exactly high end ram its still good ram I think so that leaves me with the mobo.

Anyone else think my ram could be limiting me here?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubnotub1 View Post
LGA 775 chipset = Intel only

And yes, check out my CPU-z. I think it will serve you well.


PS. I realize you will have a lower multiplier , so tomorrow if you like I can go find the max FSB for my bored. If you are interested.
Im pretty sure its capable of 450FSB but what chipset should I go for?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 42
Well.. drop RAM back on the lowest divider you can find and you'll figure it out

I think it's the mobo. Those nVidia chipsets (nForce 4 and 5xx) are known for lousy overclocking.

This would be the board I suggest:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI $299.99 once it is in stock of course

I'd not get the boards based on the 'reference' 680i board, like the eVGA and a few others, since I have heard there are trouble with SATA when you overclock those.

If no SLI, the Asus P5B Deluxe saves you some good money and is a slightly better overclocker.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
Well.. drop RAM back on the lowest divider you can find and you'll figure it out

I think it's the mobo. Those nVidia chipsets (nForce 4 and 5xx) are known for lousy overclocking.

This would be the board I suggest:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI $299.99 once it is in stock of course

I'd not get the boards based on the 'reference' 680i board, like the eVGA and a few others, since I have heard there are trouble with SATA when you overclock those.

If no SLI, the Asus P5B Deluxe saves you some good money and is a slightly better overclocker.

What do you mean dropping it on its lowest divider?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
So any other motherboards that I should know about or is that pretty much my choices here?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6400 @ 2.34Ghz ASUS P5NSLI(replaced soon) BFG 8800GTX 2GB Corsair PC5300 DDR667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD SATA 300GB + 500GB XP pro media center edition Samsung Syncmaster 930B Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
BFG 650watt w/ turbo fan Velocity Micro Logitech MX1000 Laser Archetype 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 42
ok some one said get a gigabyte ds4... dont thers only one pci-e 16x slot the other ones a 4x ....
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6300 ab9 pro 7900gto 2gb corshair 800mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
16mb wdc 160 gb win xp pro sp2 17" crt NOC 580w hiper 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
nzxt apollo dimondback sharkoon 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6300 ab9 pro 7900gto 2gb corshair 800mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
16mb wdc 160 gb win xp pro sp2 17" crt NOC 580w hiper 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
nzxt apollo dimondback sharkoon 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Recommendations on duo core motherboard>