Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [nbcnews] Supreme Court backs student in dispute over used textbook sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[nbcnews] Supreme Court backs student in dispute over used textbook sales - Page 9

post #81 of 129
Listening to the oral arguments before the Supreme Court in this case is amusing (link) especially hearing how badly the justices grill the the publishing company's lawyer, Ted Olson (one of the preeminent American attorneys of the past 30 years). I don't even think that he thought Wiley & Sons had a case
post #82 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillzKillz View Post

What some Profs do at my Uni is make the online component mandatory for marks. A licence for the e-book + tests is $70. The book with licence is $120. So if you bought a used textbook you wouldn't have the online licence.

They don't generally do that in order to make sure you pay full price! Unless they wrote the book, the professor isn't getting a kickback. I teach a history course & make the online component mandatory - but I do it because that way I can force students to do a chapter assignment before the day they're supposed to have the chapter read - cuts down some on procrastinators who would otherwise show up to lecture without having done the reading. That type of assignment is impractical to do offline.

Plus you can buy the online code for my textbook for about $10. So used isn't great, but it's not a big screw job.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Education in the UK is not free. It used to be till Blair came along and being the socialist that he was socialised education for the banks, forcing students to take out massive loans. This has caused student loans to the highest in Europe, maybe second only to the US. Tuition now costs upwards of 8000 Pounds a year and increasing yearly.

As for the US student loans actually surpass the mortgage drama. It's something that's unknown but ever more students are dropping out in both the UK and US simply because they can't afford their loans.

Soon we will be back in a (pre-)Dickensian world in which only the wealthy can afford education and thus intellectually control society. Once again I am forced to praise Orwell for his brilliance at predicting our current world.

It is pretty easy to drop $30K a year, USD, over here for Uni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I think you are confusing "medical system" with "insurance system".

The fact of the matter is, the US has the best medical CARE in the world. The insurance system on the other hand, isn't.

No, the USA doesn't have the best medical care in the world, the FDA does a pretty good job of preventing that. Good try though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

They don't generally do that in order to make sure you pay full price! Unless they wrote the book, the professor isn't getting a kickback. I teach a history course & make the online component mandatory - but I do it because that way I can force students to do a chapter assignment before the day they're supposed to have the chapter read - cuts down some on procrastinators who would otherwise show up to lecture without having done the reading. That type of assignment is impractical to do offline.

Plus you can buy the online code for my textbook for about $10. So used isn't great, but it's not a big screw job.

That sounds fair if it's only $10.

And yes, my Prof did write the textbook, lol. I laugh because he's an Economics Professor, how ironic.
Black 2012
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Stock Asrock Z77 Extreme3 Motherboard XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 16GB (4x4gb) G. Skill Sniper 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4  Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Elements Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
LG Lightscribe 22x DVD RW R+ R- Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 750w Gold Fractal Design R4 (Windowed) Logitech G5 Ratpadz GS 
AudioAudio
Bose Companion 2 Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Black 2012
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Stock Asrock Z77 Extreme3 Motherboard XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 16GB (4x4gb) G. Skill Sniper 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4  Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Elements Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
LG Lightscribe 22x DVD RW R+ R- Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 750w Gold Fractal Design R4 (Windowed) Logitech G5 Ratpadz GS 
AudioAudio
Bose Companion 2 Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It is pretty easy to drop $30K a year, USD, over here for Uni.

Tuition starts at 8000, then there's cost of living, housing, books, etc. Students are being forced by the government to go massively into debt to get an education that is barely worth it. Then the government, whose ministers mostly studied media studies and other non-exact or technical courses, class the things they studied themselves as nonsense and intend to drop any form of subsidy.

Austerity is hitting education hard, really hard, with ever fewer enrollment because there are no jobs, as they have all been outsourced and education doesn't guarantee any kind of future, other than a bankrupted, indebted one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

No, the USA doesn't have the best medical care in the world, the FDA does a pretty good job of preventing that. Good try though.

Pay the most, get the least. I love Thatcherism (free market)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

They don't generally do that in order to make sure you pay full price! Unless they wrote the book, the professor isn't getting a kickback. I teach a history course & make the online component mandatory - but I do it because that way I can force students to do a chapter assignment before the day they're supposed to have the chapter read - cuts down some on procrastinators who would otherwise show up to lecture without having done the reading. That type of assignment is impractical to do offline.

Plus you can buy the online code for my textbook for about $10. So used isn't great, but it's not a big screw job.

A lot of teachers in China write their own text books because they make a lot of money off students. Interestingly their text books are usually the worst ones. I can't read Chinese but I have been told by many a student that they think their English teachers are ignorant fools who got the school to use their books to milk them. Reading their books I disagree they're fools because they're very clever but I would definitely classify them as illiterate and barely capable of teaching kindergarten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Well considering that is 7 billion and the US has only 305 million (ie 30 times), I have no doubt that there are many more of "the best" in the rest of the world as opposed to just the US because I seriously doubt there are 30 times as many "the best" in the world as there are in the US.

For cutting edge medical procedures, you generally hear more stories of people coming to the US than going to other countries from the US. The only exception are "medical vacations" to poorer nations, but that is more about the cost for "trivial" procedures rather than about quality of health care.

Again, I am just talking quality of medical procedures, NOT cost or insurance.

But that doesn't change my statement (ie opinion), that health care is better in the US than pretty much the rest of the world. So we will just agree to disagree.

LOL, the US ranks among many third world countries when it comes to care, patient satisfaction and treatment. The only thing the US ranks first in is spending, for which insurance companies (scammers is the correct term) and hospitals are grateful.

The US ranks bottom compared with all other 'first world' countries, it has the worst. In Europe there are certain treatments for which patients are recommended to go to Cuba, eastern Europe and east Asia but not the US. Treatment isn't only cheaper, service better but quality far surpasses the US.
Edited by Liranan - 3/20/13 at 3:08am
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahayassen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoshet View Post

At Ryerson the library had the previous edition of most textbooks. It's completely fine, aside from rearranged chapters. Unless you're in a course where most of your marks come from textbook problem sets.

After my first year, I didn't pay more than $100/yr in textbooks. It got to the point where I would rather pirate a book and deal with JPGs than fork over $300 for a textbook. I really valued the profs who didn't use big name textbooks but created their own material out of articles and gave them out for free (the university bookstores are just as much for packages the professors create).

It's the biggest sham after proprietary software.

You go to Ryerson too? Sweet.

Me too!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K EVGA X99 Micro2 EVGA GTX 980 32GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 850 Pro Windows 10 x64 Pro Qnix 1440p EVGA 850W Gold 
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K EVGA X99 Micro2 EVGA GTX 980 32GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 850 Pro Windows 10 x64 Pro Qnix 1440p EVGA 850W Gold 
Case
CaseLabs Mercury S5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Well considering that is 7 billion and the US has only 305 million (ie 30 times), I have no doubt that there are many more of "the best" in the rest of the world as opposed to just the US because I seriously doubt there are 30 times as many "the best" in the world as there are in the US.

For cutting edge medical procedures, you generally hear more stories of people coming to the US than going to other countries from the US. The only exception are "medical vacations" to poorer nations, but that is more about the cost for "trivial" procedures rather than about quality of health care.

Again, I am just talking quality of medical procedures, NOT cost or insurance.

But that doesn't change my statement (ie opinion), that health care is better in the US than pretty much the rest of the world. So we will just agree to disagree.

Quality of medical procedures are not dictated by cutting edge procedures, the possibility of recieving cutting edge care does nothing for anyone who doesn't get it.
pretty much like textbooks.
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 129
It's the same here in Gibraltar. Education is completely free up to uni. You never have to pay for textbooks unless you lose them or destroy them. Government pays for the tuition fees, there's even a law about it. Although this is only applicable if you're applying to any university in the UK and possibly the US, depending on which one. We have to go there since there isn't a uni in Gibraltar.
post #89 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Education in the UK is not free. It used to be till Blair came along and being the socialist that he was socialised education for the banks, forcing students to take out massive loans. This has caused student loans to the highest in Europe, maybe second only to the US. Tuition now costs upwards of 8000 Pounds a year and increasing yearly.

As for the US student loans actually surpass the mortgage drama. It's something that's unknown but ever more students are dropping out in both the UK and US simply because they can't afford their loans.

Soon we will be back in a (pre-)Dickensian world in which only the wealthy can afford education and thus intellectually control society. Once again I am forced to praise Orwell for his brilliance at predicting our current world.

Erm, if he was a socialist then education would have remained free. A lot of the New Labour crew were hardened Fabianist, but putting tuition fees into play was the opposite of socialist.

Student loans in the US are insane, though. Those guys come out with like $100k debt. My debt, when I leave University, will be under £20k and I'll repay 6% of what I earn over £16k. So if I earnt £17k, I'd pay %6 of £1,000 per year... which is like £60 a year, £5 a month.

Though, I'm on the old fee rate of under £4k a year. It'll be double that now, but a higher repayment threshold.

It's not that bad.


EDIT:

Also, yeah the US ranks very low in terms of health care. Sure you guys may have some of the best hospitals in the world, but that's worth nothing if only a select few can use them. Privatised healthcare is disgusting.
Edited by Rubers - 3/20/13 at 4:08am
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Erm, if he was a socialist then education would have remained free. A lot of the New Labour crew were hardened Fabianist, but putting tuition fees into play was the opposite of socialist.

Student loans in the US are insane, though. Those guys come out with like $100k debt. My debt, when I leave University, will be under £20k and I'll repay 6% of what I earn over £16k. So if I earnt £17k, I'd pay %6 of £1,000 per year... which is like £60 a year, £5 a month.

Though, I'm on the old fee rate of under £4k a year. It'll be double that now, but a higher repayment threshold.

It's not that bad.


EDIT:

Also, yeah the US ranks very low in terms of health care. Sure you guys may have some of the best hospitals in the world, but that's worth nothing if only a select few can use them. Privatised healthcare is disgusting.

If you read my post you would have noticed the sarcasm when I mentioned that he socialised the UK in favour of the banks. His first action as dictator was to run to the City and reassure them it would be business as usual under his misgovernance. Blair was a Thatcherite fundamentalist who took Thatcherism who a whole new extreme when he filled government with his business cronies.

While British students aren't as heavily indebted as US ones (much) higher taxes, much higher prices and equally low wages ensure they are just as bad off.
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [nbcnews] Supreme Court backs student in dispute over used textbook sales