Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Some case mod questions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some case mod questions.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Okay, folks, I have a couple of questions regarding my Silverstone Raven RV-03 case mod...

My thought is to modify the side panels to where instead of unscrewing thumbscrews and physically removing the sides, I can press a button and the panels will open up in the manner of suicide doors, using small motors to cycle the doors open or closed. In order to accomplish this, I plan to cut off the lip at the bottom of the panel so the door will be able to swing open.

I've already purchased 2 12" x 1/2" continuous hinges (aka piano hinges) for the pivot point on the back of the case, but I'm curious as to what type of latching mechanism to use to keep the door shut (since the bottom lip will be gone).

Part of me wants to use rare earth magnets, but I'm concerned about how it will affect the drives or the operation of other devices, such as temperature monitors, fan controllers, hot swap drives, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Also, in regards to the motors for the doors, I plan to wire them to a 4-pin molex connector and have them run off the PSU when the computer is powered on, but I'm searching for alternative power for when the computer is off.

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 14
Magnets near the bottom of the case away from all of the components should be fine, but I would just be sure to insulate the backside of the magnet for safe measure. That would be a sweet mod to see thumb.gif
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrere View Post

Magnets near the bottom of the case away from all of the components should be fine, but I would just be sure to insulate the backside of the magnet for safe measure. That would be a sweet mod to see thumb.gif

The problem is that the layout of the Raven 03 case has the PSU in the front. Knowing what I know about electricity and magnetism, could they affect each other?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

The problem is that the layout of the Raven 03 case has the PSU in the front. Knowing what I know about electricity and magnetism, could they affect each other?

Unless you are using extremely strong magnets, no. If they are 1) Extremely strong or 2) in direct contact with the metal case of the PSU... Maybe, but as long as you put some insulation behind it the magnetic/electrical effects will be minimal at best. I honestly don't forsee it hurting a good PSU, but that's my opinion. I do understand your concerns though, so you might want a second opinion to see what they think as well. thumb.gif This mod will be sick when you get it done!

EDIT: About how much space will there be between the PSU and the outer frame on the door side? 1/2" or better?
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

The problem is that the layout of the Raven 03 case has the PSU in the front. Knowing what I know about electricity and magnetism, could they affect each other?

Unless you are using extremely strong magnets, no. If they are 1) Extremely strong or 2) in direct contact with the metal case of the PSU... Maybe, but as long as you put some insulation behind it the magnetic/electrical effects will be minimal at best. I honestly don't forsee it hurting a good PSU, but that's my opinion. I do understand your concerns though, so you might want a second opinion to see what they think as well. thumb.gif This mod will be sick when you get it done!

EDIT: About how much space will there be between the PSU and the outer frame on the door side? 1/2" or better?

I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out when I get home this evening.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post


Also, in regards to the motors for the doors, I plan to wire them to a 4-pin molex connector and have them run off the PSU when the computer is powered on, but I'm searching for alternative power for when the computer is off.

Any thoughts?

I just noticed the second question, you can always wire up a DC power brick with the right voltage output, 12V is what I'm assuming, and add redundant power to the motor. This would require two power cords, but if you use a power strip it wouldn't matter. If you like I can do a brief mock-up of the idea I'm speaking of. How are you planning on controlling the direction of the motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out when I get home this evening.

Ok, because if you have 3/8" or better you should be a safe distance. 1/2" or better is a definite safe zone, so long as no mechanical drives are nearby.
Edited by Terrere - 3/21/13 at 8:03am
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post


Also, in regards to the motors for the doors, I plan to wire them to a 4-pin molex connector and have them run off the PSU when the computer is powered on, but I'm searching for alternative power for when the computer is off.

Any thoughts?

I just noticed the second question, you can always wire up a DC power brick with the right voltage output, 12V is what I'm assuming, and add redundant power to the motor. This would require two power cords, but if you use a power strip it wouldn't matter. If you like I can do a brief mock-up of the idea I'm speaking of. How are you planning on controlling the direction of the motor?

I had planned to use a 16mm anti-vandal momentary switch to activate the motor(s) for both open and close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

I'm not sure. I'll have to check it out when I get home this evening.

Ok, because if you have 3/8" or better you should be a safe distance. 1/2" or better is a definite safe zone, so long as no mechanical drives are nearby.

Well, the PSU is mounted perpendicular to the case, which has a stated width of 235mm overall. The PSU would take up 160mm of that distance, meaning I definitely have plenty of space on one side, and I just might have enough on the other.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

I had planned to use a 16mm anti-vandal momentary switch to activate the motor(s) for both open and close.
Well, the PSU is mounted perpendicular to the case, which has a stated width of 235mm overall. The PSU would take up 160mm of that distance, meaning I definitely have plenty of space on one side, and I just might have enough on the other.

Is it mounted in the center or more towards one side of the case? If it is dead center then you would have 32.5mm on each side approximately 1 1/4" which is well above what you need to be safe zoned for magnetic interference on your PSU.
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
I think it would be off-center, but I don't think it really matters...

These three images kinda show how much space exists between the mounting plate for the PSU and the side of the case. If there's enough room to get the right angle plug in without interfering with the closing of the side panel, there should be enough room to put a magnet without interfering with the PSU.

Also, since this is my first attempt at using magnets as closures on a case, how exactly would I go about insulating them?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadProfessor View Post

I think it would be off-center, but I don't think it really matters...

These three images kinda show how much space exists between the mounting plate for the PSU and the side of the case. If there's enough room to get the right angle plug in without interfering with the closing of the side panel, there should be enough room to put a magnet without interfering with the PSU.

Also, since this is my first attempt at using magnets as closures on a case, how exactly would I go about insulating them?

Foam insulates... well everything. I would put a piece of metal, something not magnetic, right behind it and use foam to insulate all around it. Are you planning on making the mount recessed into the case? If so then you shouldn't have any problem putting metal/foam to insulate it. This is MY personal thought. It won't dissipate the magnetic field completely, but it will reduce the effects of the magnet beyond the insulated part.
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Dark Space
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › Some case mod questions.