Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] 7870 Tahiti LE (XT) Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] 7870 Tahiti LE (XT) Owners Club - Page 510

post #5091 of 5245
@ aaronsta1 - easier yes but not very wise at the moment. First he has to find a stable voltage so clocks wont throttle (fps loss) and then flash vbios.
For testing i reccomend OCCT graphics test. I've found this to better than any game or graphical benchmark. It detects even the smallest artifacts and in the end of it's stable in OCCT then it's stable everywhere.
post #5092 of 5245
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

The most it goes is 1.150V on max. Thats with the voltage set at 1175mV with msi AB.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3( and hopefully last one): ...so with these changes Im pretty content.

Welcome to the world of overclocking/tweaking! Fun isn't it? 😄.
It's not your fault. You have the perfect storm of a hot card, poor case ventilation, and case design with your cpu dumping heat on your gpu and your psu fighting with it for air.

Flipping that case fan (to intake), zip tying a fan to the side of case (pointed at the gpu), and letting your psu exhaust... would REALLY help you with the flow/ventilation issue.

Only other thing that concerns me is forcing constant voltage and unofficial oc w/o powerplay - your card may not be idling when not gaming.
If it is idling, you're golden

Sounds like you have solid fps and reasonable temps in FFXIV - which was your original goal - I'd call that a win and stop for now.
Edited by PaddyND - 10/5/15 at 5:00am
post #5093 of 5245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaXelliX View Post

@ aaronsta1 - easier yes but not very wise at the moment. First he has to find a stable voltage so clocks wont throttle (fps loss) and then flash vbios.
^ completely agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaXelliX 
For testing i reccomend OCCT graphics test. I've found this to better than any game or graphical benchmark. It detects even the smallest artifacts and in the end of it's stable in OCCT then it's stable everywhere.

Thx for the tip! I'll download OCCT later today, I've been looking for a better tool, AIDA64 wasn't cutting it.
Edited by PaddyND - 10/5/15 at 4:56am
post #5094 of 5245
Hi all. Myst owner here. Anyone game at 4K resolution with this card? (GPU overclocked assumed.) Experiences?

I'm thinking of picking up a 4K display. Thanks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H PowerColor Radeon HD7870 Myst (Tahiti LE) Samsung MV-3V4G3 4×4 GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 256 GB WD Green WD15EARS 1.5 TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VX2268WM 120Hz Redragon K552-N KUMARA Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W NZXT LEXA 
MouseAudio
HP VoodooDNA Gaming Mouse Samson SR850 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4670K Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H PowerColor Radeon HD7870 Myst (Tahiti LE) Samsung MV-3V4G3 4×4 GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 256 GB WD Green WD15EARS 1.5 TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VX2268WM 120Hz Redragon K552-N KUMARA Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W NZXT LEXA 
MouseAudio
HP VoodooDNA Gaming Mouse Samson SR850 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5095 of 5245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaa View Post

Hi all. Myst owner here. Anyone game at 4K resolution with this card? (GPU overclocked assumed.) Experiences?

I'm thinking of picking up a 4K display. Thanks!
Since i own "only" a 1080p monitor i utilize AMD-s VSR (Virtual Screen Resolution) feature to game at 1440p - essentially it's rendering at 1440p and downsampling to 1080p allowing me to use Anti-Aliasing on games that use (for example) deferred rendering and thus do not support native AA.
I was very suprised that AMD did bring VSR to such an old card. Newer AMD cards can also do 4K downsampling to 1080p.
Performance however is not that great as you can imagine. I can only play less resource intensive games at 1440p.
post #5096 of 5245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaXelliX View Post

Since i own "only" a 1080p monitor i utilize AMD-s VSR (Virtual Screen Resolution) feature to game at 1440p - essentially it's rendering at 1440p and downsampling to 1080p allowing me to use Anti-Aliasing on games that use (for example) deferred rendering and thus do not support native AA.
I was very suprised that AMD did bring VSR to such an old card. Newer AMD cards can also do 4K downsampling to 1080p.
Performance however is not that great as you can imagine. I can only play less resource intensive games at 1440p.

This 290X only goes to 3200x1800, tried it for the first time yesterday actually and it looked totally screwed up in Elder Scrolls Online. 2560x1440 looked good though. Maybe I'll try 3200x1800 again.

Edit: ESO is working at 3200x1800 now. Only issue I have with VSR though is the Afterburner OSD will not increase in display size even when making it larger in the settings. It's so small I can't read it.
Edited by M3TAl - 10/5/15 at 7:02pm
DeskoSaurus X
(22 items)
 
It Does Stuff
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7 GHz Z97 MPOWER MAX AC 290X Lightning G. Skill TridentX 2x8GB 10-12-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x Crucial MX100 + 960GB M500 2x WD Blue RAID EK Supremacy EK-FC R9-290X Lightning 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK XE 480 + EK CoolStream PE 480 10x Phanteks + 2x Cougar Vortex MCP50X + MCP50X Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250 22" LED Generic HP Corsair AX860i Lian-Li DK-Q2X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper TC Electronic Impact Twin Corsair Commander Mini 
OtherOther
Schiit Vali Kanto Yumi (Bamboo) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.95GHz 24/7 GA-990FXA-UD3 Sapphire 7870 XT  Mushkin Redline 997051 @1866 8-8-8-24 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer @1866 8-8-8-2... Black WD6401AALS 2x WD10EZEX Raid-0 EK Supremacy 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
10x Cougar Vortex PWM 3x Helix EK VGA Supremacy Acetal Alphacool NexXxos ST30 240mm, 2x XT45 240mm XSPC X2O 750 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Jingway DP-600 pump Windows 8.1 Pro x64 ViewSonic VX2250 22" LED Generic HP 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill HIVE-650 CM 690 II Advanced B&W  Logitech G700 Xonar DG 
AudioOtherOther
Tc Electronic Impact Twin Fan Controller: Aerocool X-Vision 2x Swiftech PWM Splitter 
  hide details  
Reply
DeskoSaurus X
(22 items)
 
It Does Stuff
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7 GHz Z97 MPOWER MAX AC 290X Lightning G. Skill TridentX 2x8GB 10-12-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x Crucial MX100 + 960GB M500 2x WD Blue RAID EK Supremacy EK-FC R9-290X Lightning 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK XE 480 + EK CoolStream PE 480 10x Phanteks + 2x Cougar Vortex MCP50X + MCP50X Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2250 22" LED Generic HP Corsair AX860i Lian-Li DK-Q2X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper TC Electronic Impact Twin Corsair Commander Mini 
OtherOther
Schiit Vali Kanto Yumi (Bamboo) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.95GHz 24/7 GA-990FXA-UD3 Sapphire 7870 XT  Mushkin Redline 997051 @1866 8-8-8-24 1T 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer @1866 8-8-8-2... Black WD6401AALS 2x WD10EZEX Raid-0 EK Supremacy 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
10x Cougar Vortex PWM 3x Helix EK VGA Supremacy Acetal Alphacool NexXxos ST30 240mm, 2x XT45 240mm XSPC X2O 750 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Jingway DP-600 pump Windows 8.1 Pro x64 ViewSonic VX2250 22" LED Generic HP 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rosewill HIVE-650 CM 690 II Advanced B&W  Logitech G700 Xonar DG 
AudioOtherOther
Tc Electronic Impact Twin Fan Controller: Aerocool X-Vision 2x Swiftech PWM Splitter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5097 of 5245
Hey guys, I have a question for you. Just like what happened before, the gpu temps suddenly begin increasing. The thing is that there is pattern now. If you refer to my original post, I explained that the first time I applied TIM on my gpu the temperatures dropped and everything was fine ..... until 10 days after where the temps went up again out of nowhere. Then I throughly cleaned the gpu (99% isopropyl alcohol with a microfiber cloth), and reapplied TIM on it again. Temps went down for a second time and thats when I came here to ask for advice to see how I could prevent this problem to happen again. Some people suggested adding a side fan next to my gpu and at the end I realized I cant do that. The space between the HP case cover and the gpu is less than 1cm, so a decent side fan wont fit there at all. I switched the bottom fan and turned it into intake instead of exhaust, but that didnt helped with the temps at all. The graphoc card is pretty big and acts as a "divider between the lower section where the processor is, and the upper part where the psu (exhaust) is. This means that proper airflow is just impossible to get in my case.
Anyways, I was playing some game an hour ago where it was giving me temps around 72c at full load this whole week, but suddenly the game crashed. I checked at the OSD in the frozen screen, and I read 86c (way over 72c). I restarted and tried to change the fan profile to be super agressive, but even with 100% fan usage it didnt prevent the gpu temps to get higher and higher as the time passed. I then just exit the game lest it crashes again. Now what I noticed is that it has been exactly 10 days since I last applied a new coat of TIM on the gpu, and the temp problem magically reappeared. So I assume that whats going on is either one of two things:
1. I applied TIM both times wrong, but enough to last me around 10 days before I saw any problems again.
or
2. By applying TIM I am "saving time" of the REAL problem thats going on. Then the thermal paste cant handle the temps of the gpu, dries up way faster than usual, and I start to actually see the temps rising through MSI afterburner OSD.
If it is the second answer, then the ONLY thing I can try doing is getting a better case, with extra fans, solve the air circulation problem and hope that will solve the problem. Maybe the card is already damaged by having experienced less than optimal temperature scenarios because of the case it is in, and because of the room the pc is located (is hell here during summer with no ac).

Right now my hope is that its reason #1. If thats the case, does anyone know a really good method to apply TIM on gpus, as well as recommend me a good product for it?
post #5098 of 5245
@ k4ever - What TIM are you currently using?
Im thinking this might be option #2 where the TIM is just not that great and indeed starts to dry up after some time.

In terms of damage you can relax. The GPU can handle over 100 degrees celcius and the VRM-s can hande 114 or 115 degrees celcius. If the temps ever get to that point the result is automatic shutdown to prevent damage. Aside from physical damage or overvolt (wich is not possible on this card without hardmod) you cant really damage your card or significantly shorten it's lifespan.

In terms of what is the best mothod to apply the TIM - well there are many options (and opinions) on the matter. Personally i use the X method but one drop in the middle and even spread methods work just as well.
I have always used Arctic TIM-s. Currently MX-2.
post #5099 of 5245
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

Hey guys, I have a question for you. Just like what happened before, the gpu temps suddenly begin increasing. The thing is that there is pattern now. If you refer to my original post, I explained that the first time I applied TIM on my gpu the temperatures dropped and everything was fine ..... until 10 days after where the temps went up again out of nowhere. Then I throughly cleaned the gpu (99% isopropyl alcohol with a microfiber cloth), and reapplied TIM on it again. Temps went down for a second time and thats when I came here to ask for advice to see how I could prevent this problem to happen again. Some people suggested adding a side fan next to my gpu and at the end I realized I cant do that. The space between the HP case cover and the gpu is less than 1cm, so a decent side fan wont fit there at all. I switched the bottom fan and turned it into intake instead of exhaust, but that didnt helped with the temps at all. The graphoc card is pretty big and acts as a "divider between the lower section where the processor is, and the upper part where the psu (exhaust) is. This means that proper airflow is just impossible to get in my case.
Anyways, I was playing some game an hour ago where it was giving me temps around 72c at full load this whole week, but suddenly the game crashed. I checked at the OSD in the frozen screen, and I read 86c (way over 72c). I restarted and tried to change the fan profile to be super agressive, but even with 100% fan usage it didnt prevent the gpu temps to get higher and higher as the time passed. I then just exit the game lest it crashes again. Now what I noticed is that it has been exactly 10 days since I last applied a new coat of TIM on the gpu, and the temp problem magically reappeared. So I assume that whats going on is either one of two things:
1. I applied TIM both times wrong, but enough to last me around 10 days before I saw any problems again.
or
2. By applying TIM I am "saving time" of the REAL problem thats going on. Then the thermal paste cant handle the temps of the gpu, dries up way faster than usual, and I start to actually see the temps rising through MSI afterburner OSD.
If it is the second answer, then the ONLY thing I can try doing is getting a better case, with extra fans, solve the air circulation problem and hope that will solve the problem. Maybe the card is already damaged by having experienced less than optimal temperature scenarios because of the case it is in, and because of the room the pc is located (is hell here during summer with no ac).

Right now my hope is that its reason #1. If thats the case, does anyone know a really good method to apply TIM on gpus, as well as recommend me a good product for it?

i use the small dot method and just squish it down when you tighten up the heatsink..
i have used both Artic MX-4 and thermaltake Tg-3 paste... they both were available at my local store (fry's) and they both worked about the same.
 
Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
MSI GE60 20E
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 990fxa ud3  RX 470 4GB RX 470 4GB 
RAMCoolingKeyboardPower
Patriot Viper CM 240M G710+ thermaltake smart 850w  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM TROOPER G700s Corsair Gaming 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX765M 8 GB DDR3 750 GB SATA 
Optical DriveOS
DVD SuperMulti Windows 8.1 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(11 items)
 
MSI GE60 20E
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 990fxa ud3  RX 470 4GB RX 470 4GB 
RAMCoolingKeyboardPower
Patriot Viper CM 240M G710+ thermaltake smart 850w  
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM TROOPER G700s Corsair Gaming 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX765M 8 GB DDR3 750 GB SATA 
Optical DriveOS
DVD SuperMulti Windows 8.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5100 of 5245
The TIM I lastly used was an Antec Formula 7 Nano diamond compound. It was on sale on bestbuy. It looks grey too. The first one I used was the cheapest generic one I found on frys, but that was used on the cpu a long time ago. The processor is running like a champ and never had any issues of temps with it anymore. I used the center pea size method on the cpu. Then I read that the pea method wouldnt work in gpus because they are bigger and it wouldnt spread as uniformly as in a cpu, so first I used the center pea PLUS for small dots close to every corner (4). Last time I used a "star method" where I do 3 lines: one from the top center all the way down, another from the left center all the way right, and two diagonals. But I didnt use a lot of TIM for them. Yeah, maybe the antec compound is drying too fast, and that will explain why it was on sale, Im not sure. Im going tomorrow to frys and this time I will get an artic tim (will try to check for an MX-?). I will take a picture of my gpu before removing the previous TIM, and maybe you guys could check for clues saying that it wasnt properly applied, or maybe something abnormal going on with my card (missing and/or bad thermal pads, etc ...).
By the way, its no coincidence that besides being around 10 days where the temps problems occur again, they happen just when the weather temperature hits high 90s, and even over 100F degrees.

If by doing this, the temp problem cant be solved I will have to buy a better case, and transfer my mobo as best as I can. Will not be an easy task, but its the only option I will have if I dont want to spend around $300 in a new cpu/mobo combo. Using the extra fans in the new case will totally help, but finding them slots to connect them in the mobo, or using them directly with the PSU, thats totally another topic to discuss.

EDIT: Browsing frys items online, they only carry the arctic silver 5, not the mx-4 everyone recommends. I guess I will order one from newegg, and hopefully they will let me go to one of their warehouses for immediate pick up (its only 15 minutes away from where I live).
Edited by k4ever - 10/9/15 at 1:50pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] 7870 Tahiti LE (XT) Owners Club