Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Couple questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow in my antec 300.

1)I added a new graphics hard the other day and after putting my case back together i have noticed some vibration in the case.
I checked all the fans by turning them off or unplugging them and besides the top fan they all seem fine. Next i checked the harddrive and all 4 screws are all tight last i checked cpu heatsink and i noticed that if i set it to max it caused quite a bit of vibration. Since i didn't even touch the heatsink my thought is the fan is dying and the bearing is giving out at higher speeds.

2)Looking for some good anti-vibration mounts for case fans for both 120 & 140mm.

3)Do any of the kits for reducing noise from harddrive actually work and if so what system is considered the best.

4)Thinking about cutting out the honeycomb grills on the fans to reduce noise and replacing them with basic wire grills in the back.

5)Adding an extra fan on top for intake while everyone says top is only for exhaust but wouldn't adding a intake on top provide air for the heatsink?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdog View Post

Couple questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow in my antec 300.
1)I added a new graphics hard the other day and after putting my case back together i have noticed some vibration in the case.
I checked all the fans by turning them off or unplugging them and besides the top fan they all seem fine. Next i checked the harddrive and all 4 screws are all tight last i checked cpu heatsink and i noticed that if i set it to max it caused quite a bit of vibration. Since i didn't even touch the heatsink my thought is the fan is dying and the bearing is giving out at higher speeds.
2)Looking for some good anti-vibration mounts for case fans for both 120 & 140mm.
3)Do any of the kits for reducing noise from harddrive actually work and if so what system is considered the best.
4)Thinking about cutting out the honeycomb grills on the fans to reduce noise and replacing them with basic wire grills in the back.
5)Adding an extra fan on top for intake while everyone says top is only for exhaust but wouldn't adding a intake on top provide air for the heatsink?
First where are you on our big blue marble?
1) If it's stock heatsink you can get a good replacement for about £20.
2) The 'rubber fan screws' work and are cheap.
3) What case do you have and how many HDDs do you need to mount? Simple solutions but problem is stock HDD cages without vibration mounts usually aren't big enough to add them.
4) Removing the grills will for sure improve airflow and lower noise.
5) Might and might now. Sometime a low speed fan blowing air down in front of CPU cooler helps. Try it and see.

I use a cheap terrarium / indoor/outdoor wired remote digital thermometer to monitor case / cooler intake air temp. Just hang sensor 30mm in front of cooler intake to see what temperature the air going into cool is.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

First where are you on our big blue marble?
1) If it's stock heatsink you can get a good replacement for about £20.
2) The 'rubber fan screws' work and are cheap.
3) What case do you have and how many HDDs do you need to mount? Simple solutions but problem is stock HDD cages without vibration mounts usually aren't big enough to add them.
4) Removing the grills will for sure improve airflow and lower noise.
5) Might and might now. Sometime a low speed fan blowing air down in front of CPU cooler helps. Try it and see.

I use a cheap terrarium / indoor/outdoor wired remote digital thermometer to monitor case / cooler intake air temp. Just hang sensor 30mm in front of cooler intake to see what temperature the air going into cool is.

1)Aftermarket so i think i'll try replacing the fan and see what happens.
2)Thanks
3)Antec 300 and from the looks like it will not have room for any kind of mounts unless i put the HDD in the 5.25 bay.
4)Nice
5)Figured it was something i would have to try and find out.

Atm i use a Handheld Infrared Thermometer but thats a good idea.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
What cooler do you have?

Hand held works too. Just harder to do with case closed up. The cheap wired remotes can be fished into case thought a hole in the back and a couple of bread bag wire ties.. the plastic covered wire ones.. wrapped onto the last 3-4 inchs and secured in fan mount hole keep sensor in place nicely. wink.gif
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
OCZ vendetta 2 not sure about what fan is on there currently but it has been on there for 3 years or so.
I have it attached with a xbrace on the back of the motherboard and didn't touch the screws so i doubt it came loose.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
So you need a good 120mm fan for your cooler. If you have PWM control on your motherboard a PWM fan is a very nice way to control fan speed.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

So you need a good 120mm fan for your cooler. If you have PWM control on your motherboard a PWM fan is a very nice way to control fan speed.

On hand i have a Yate Loon SH and a antec tricool.

The only problem with the Yate Loon is in order to attach the rubber clips that hold the fan onto the heatsink i have to cut the fan where the screw holes are because they are a tube which means no way to pull the rubber piece though.

The Antec does not have that problem but does not have a 4 pin connector and instead has a 3 way manual switch which would mean i would either have to set it to medium for somewhat quiet or high for max airflow but sound like a jumbo jet taking off.

Yeah my motherboard is currently controlling the fan that is running on the heatsink now.

Any suggestions on a 120 heatsink fan the Yate will work but is kinda loud.
Edited by darkdog - 3/21/13 at 3:07pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 @ 3.8 ep45c-ud3r Sapphire 7870XT 4x2gb gskill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd 640 gb sata Window 7 64 bit asus 22" 1920x1080 corsair 750tx 
Case
antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdog View Post

Couple questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow in my antec 300.

1)I added a new graphics hard the other day and after putting my case back together i have noticed some vibration in the case.
I checked all the fans by turning them off or unplugging them and besides the top fan they all seem fine. Next i checked the harddrive and all 4 screws are all tight last i checked cpu heatsink and i noticed that if i set it to max it caused quite a bit of vibration. Since i didn't even touch the heatsink my thought is the fan is dying and the bearing is giving out at higher speeds.

2)Looking for some good anti-vibration mounts for case fans for both 120 & 140mm.

3)Do any of the kits for reducing noise from harddrive actually work and if so what system is considered the best.

4)Thinking about cutting out the honeycomb grills on the fans to reduce noise and replacing them with basic wire grills in the back.

5)Adding an extra fan on top for intake while everyone says top is only for exhaust but wouldn't adding a intake on top provide air for the heatsink?

For fan mounts I have been pretty happy with these Prolimatech Magnetic Mounts. There are other good mounts, but I like the ease/flexibility of the mags.

Honestly the best thing I've ever done for reducing hdd noise is setting it on top of a piece of acoustic foam, sitting right on the bottom of the case.

I cut all my honeycomb rear grills and replace them with basic wire grills, with decent results.

A top intake fan can be beneficial if you're careful with placement. However I've noticed slightly higher GPU temps from it, possibly from it preventing warm air in the lower half of the case from rising properly. Case by case could vary.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k@4.5ghz 1.21v Gigabyte Sniper M3 Sapphire 6950 Samsung 8g1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Samsung F1 500 Crucial M4 64 (SRC) cpu:Noc NF-F12 / case:4x TY-141/gpu: 2x NB-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Venomous X, Accelero TT Win 7 64 Acer X213H Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Superflower 650 plat Fractal Arc Midi G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k@4.5ghz 1.21v Gigabyte Sniper M3 Sapphire 6950 Samsung 8g1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 Samsung F1 500 Crucial M4 64 (SRC) cpu:Noc NF-F12 / case:4x TY-141/gpu: 2x NB-Multi 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Venomous X, Accelero TT Win 7 64 Acer X213H Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Superflower 650 plat Fractal Arc Midi G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Thanks Otterclock. Did not know about the magnetic mounts. Used on intakes they would give the added benefit of spacing the fans away from grill/filter which often quiets things down some too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Questions about reducing noise and increasing airflow