Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › [solved] BtrFS root - booting read only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[solved] BtrFS root - booting read only - Page 2  

post #11 of 45
^ snapshoting works, and so do most features found in ZFS, but not nearly as user-friendly or as clean as they do in ZFS.
post #12 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

^ snapshoting works, and so do most features found in ZFS, but not nearly as user-friendly or as clean as they do in ZFS.

how do you rollback a snapshot of root? I can't find a single sane method of doing so.
post #13 of 45
Never said it was clean, but if you back up your kernel and initramfs you can snap/roll like any other volume... Although theres a package moving in the AUR to fix that.
post #14 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

Never said it was clean, but if you back up your kernel and initramfs you can snap/roll like any other volume... Although theres a package moving in the AUR to fix that.

It's the kernel i wanted to rollback.


Without wanting to start a flamewar, I think I've been falling out of love for Linux in the last few months - and this is just another nudge pushing me towards running FreeBSD. I'm definitely having a crisis of faith lately frown.gif
post #15 of 45
Why do you care about the kernel? Just chroot if you have a problem. If your compiling your kernel you could just keep the source.

But I agree, the latest changes from systemd to whole mir thing is a big negitive to most GNU/Linux distros. I havn't had time to get my FreeBSD install fully up because of school work, but I plan to make it my main install. As a thought though, have you considered trying a GNU/kFreeBSD (I think there is one based on arch now, if unstable) ?
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

It's the kernel i wanted to rollback.


Without wanting to start a flamewar, I think I've been falling out of love for Linux in the last few months - and this is just another nudge pushing me towards running FreeBSD. I'm definitely having a crisis of faith lately frown.gif

Don't worry about that crisis, I've been mostly using OpenBSD lately because of some of the way things have been going in Linux generally and in Arch ( the general **** attitude by the dev team and forum, about some of the packages being forced onto us ).
post #17 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

Why do you care about the kernel? Just chroot if you have a problem. If your compiling your kernel you could just keep the source.
because the nvidia drivers and what not are tied into the kernel and ABI versions
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

But I agree, the latest changes from systemd to whole mir thing is a big negitive to most GNU/Linux distros. I havn't had time to get my FreeBSD install fully up because of school work, but I plan to make it my main install. As a thought though, have you considered trying a GNU/kFreeBSD (I think there is one based on arch now, if unstable) ?
I like debian, but i couldnt run that as my desktop and ArchBSD (the Arch / FreeBSD hybrid you mentioned) isn't really mature enough to be used for anything serious.
post #18 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Don't worry about that crisis, I've been mostly using OpenBSD lately because of some of the way things have been going in Linux generally and in Arch ( the general **** attitude by the dev team and forum, about some of the packages being forced onto us ).
I hear you on that.thumb.gif
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I hear you on that.thumb.gif

Kind of OT but why must you guys leave. sad-smiley-002.gif If there aren't the admin orientated users like you around all there's going to be is the general user with a very limited understanding of Linux (AKA me) and we'll end up with a dumb terminal OS like droid.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
post #20 of 45
Quote:
I like debian, but i couldnt run that as my desktop
Out of curiosity, why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › [solved] BtrFS root - booting read only