Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Blacks are much more gray on 3rd monitor (HDMI)??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blacks are much more gray on 3rd monitor (HDMI)??

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I have 3 new monitors (2 connected via DVI and the other via HDMI). Blacks are nice and dark on the first 2 via DVI but on the third via HDMI they are much more gray. It's extremely noticeable if I put like a black image halfway on the DVI monitor and half on the HDMI monitor. Is this normal because of the different connections?
post #2 of 6
Both are 100% digital connections so the signal is the same - likely it is the color calibration as each monitor has different calibration properties (thus you need a color calibrator to get them all the same)
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Nvidia GPU by any chance? Seems from your rig that's the culprit. You need to create a custom resolution or use another tweak to ensure the GPU is sending out the correct 'PC' colour signal. Nvidia in their infinite wisdom decided anything connected to the GPU should be treated as an HDTV by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIbtgngquk
post #4 of 6
You can get RGB Full range via HDMI with a registry change. There are a few simple apps to make it easier, such as http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k @ 4.4ghz Asus Z77 Deluxe GTX970 SLI 24GB 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU CM QuickFire Red - PBT white keycaps Seasonic X-850 Raven RV02 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Roccat Savu Zowie P-TF Onkyo SE-90 Marantz PM7003 amplifier 
OtherOther
Wharfedale 10.1 speakers Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k @ 4.4ghz Asus Z77 Deluxe GTX970 SLI 24GB 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU CM QuickFire Red - PBT white keycaps Seasonic X-850 Raven RV02 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Roccat Savu Zowie P-TF Onkyo SE-90 Marantz PM7003 amplifier 
OtherOther
Wharfedale 10.1 speakers Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Both are 100% digital connections so the signal is the same - likely it is the color calibration as each monitor has different calibration properties (thus you need a color calibrator to get them all the same)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Nvidia GPU by any chance? Seems from your rig that's the culprit. You need to create a custom resolution or use another tweak to ensure the GPU is sending out the correct 'PC' colour signal. Nvidia in their infinite wisdom decided anything connected to the GPU should be treated as an HDTV by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIbtgngquk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post

You can get RGB Full range via HDMI with a registry change. There are a few simple apps to make it easier, such as http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

Thanks guys, I will look into these solutions later tonight and see what kind of luck I have thumb.gif.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Nvidia GPU by any chance? Seems from your rig that's the culprit. You need to create a custom resolution or use another tweak to ensure the GPU is sending out the correct 'PC' colour signal. Nvidia in their infinite wisdom decided anything connected to the GPU should be treated as an HDTV by default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIbtgngquk

Thank you very much for this video, this helped a LOT!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Blacks are much more gray on 3rd monitor (HDMI)??