Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Win2k8 R2 Power Options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Win2k8 R2 Power Options

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I've noticed that where Windows 7 takes a rush to idle approach under the Balanced power plan, Win2k8 R2 throttles the CPU as aggressively as possible. High Performance stops the overly aggressive throttling, but at the same time completely prevents the CPU from powering down, resulting in >15W power draw when completely idle...

Is there any way to make a custom power plan that works the way Windows 7's Balanced power plan does?
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post

I've noticed that where Windows 7 takes a rush to idle approach under the Balanced power plan, Win2k8 R2 throttles the CPU as aggressively as possible. High Performance stops the overly aggressive throttling, but at the same time completely prevents the CPU from powering down, resulting in >15W power draw when completely idle...

Is there any way to make a custom power plan that works the way Windows 7's Balanced power plan does?

Create a new Power Plan that does exactly what you want. You can set your CPU minimum to like 50%, and max to 100% or something like that. Also note the cooling policy. Active mode will make the fan speed faster to keep it cool, where passive will underclock the CPU instead of touching fan speeds.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Windows 7's Balanced power plan by default runs the CPU between 5% (minimum) and 100% (maximum). This allows the CPU to both power down to just over 5W when idle and power up instantly to the max clock speed the moment you start running anything CPU-demanding.

Setting the minimum to 50% doesn't achieve the same result - all it does is raise the baseline. Win2k8 R2 still throttles the CPU even when running Prime95 - as far as I could tell, it was only spending 25% of its time at the max clock speed, and was fluctuating between 2.2 Ghz and 2.9 Ghz the other 75% of the time. On Windows 7, it would run at max frequency the entire time.

It doesn't fully address the idle power issue either - instead of idling at >15W, we're now at around 11W.
Edited by Peon - 3/23/13 at 3:49pm
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post

Windows 7's Balanced power plan by default runs the CPU between 5% (minimum) and 100% (maximum). This allows the CPU to both power down to just over 5W when idle and power up instantly to the max clock speed the moment you start running anything CPU-demanding.

Setting the minimum to 50% doesn't achieve the same result - all it does is raise the baseline. Win2k8 R2 still throttles the CPU even when running Prime95 - as far as I could tell, it was only spending 25% of its time at the max clock speed, and was fluctuating between 2.2 Ghz and 2.9 Ghz the other 75% of the time. On Windows 7, it would run at max frequency the entire time.

It doesn't fully address the idle power issue either - instead of idling at >15W, we're now at around 11W.

I assume you have two physical boxes, one with Win7 and the other with 2008R2. Windows doesn't throttle CPU speeds by default, but that is a feature on a lot of motherboard. I know one my AMD builds throttled like that, and it was something I had to disable in the BIOS. May be the Cool 'n' Quiet settings I am thinking of, I can't remember.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
There's only 1 physical box. I reformatted the rig in my signature yesterday and installed Win2k8 R2.

I don't see how it can be anything but the OS, given how I haven't even changed any BIOS settings in months, much less changed any hardware.
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post

There's only 1 physical box. I reformatted the rig in my signature yesterday and installed Win2k8 R2.

I don't see how it can be anything but the OS, given how I haven't even changed any BIOS settings in months, much less changed any hardware.

Sorry, but I am out of ideas then. The symptoms describe are very similar to what I experienced with my FX-8150 on my current motherboard, which caused problems with overclocking. Disabling some settings in the BIOS stopped my CPU from throttling. Win7 and Server 2008 R2 share the exact same kernel, but one is optimized for services/background activity, while the other is optimized for appearance. I don't know of any differences in the power profiles, so maybe someone else can be of more help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Win2k8 R2 Power Options