Originally Posted by ZDngrfld
Originally Posted by aas88keyz
Only a few recommendations so far but the ones I have are pretty good on advice. Now I don't know what is true and what is trick today but I saw an announcement about AMD steamrollers for servers are coming out by the end of this year. They say the desktop steamrollers won't be released until next year. They also say they will use the same socket and if I remember right they suggested a 30% increase in performance. If i save now I could probably easily afford their flagship cpu by next year. would this be worth the wait and investment from what they are suggesting right now? Also I may still be able to save for a midrange gpu before then too. I get gift cards in payment a few times a year. Or should I still concentrate on the i7 cpu and mb that could take me as long as it would to afford a steamroller?
What I really think it comes down to is: Do you WANT to wait and do you WANT to spend the money? You can easily use a i7 combo as a workstation/gaming rig for years. Depending on what G34 motherboard you would pick, not so much. I think you'd be wasting your money if your primary focus is folding if you were to just get a 2P G34 motherboard since a 4P is slightly more expensive, but with the ability to run 1P-2P-4P at any point.
Whoops! This misunderstanding is my fault. I heard two announcements for AMD Steamroller, one is the server version coming out this year and the 2nd was the desktop steamroller should be released some time next year. The misunderstanding was I was implying the AMD steamroller for desktop edition would be another choice for recommendations. I am leaving out all server cpu's for now. It will probably be a long time before I start piecing together a 2p or 4p.
So far my decisions are adding an additional gpu, whether nvidia or amd. I have some additional resources in order to buy either of those this year depending on which one is more optimized for FAH by that time. My other decision will not be a bulldozer or piledriver. I will be lookiing at being able to afford a have way decent mb and cpu for i7 if I hold out til next year. But now I will choose between an i7 or amd steamroller. I should be able to afford either mid year next year. But if the i7 has some life left when I am able to afford one then I will probably go that route. Been a long while since I went intel and I have a lot more knowledge with AMD. So I have to consider the learning curve with i7.