Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › So Confused! new power supply and Crossfire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So Confused! new power supply and Crossfire

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
So I upgraded to a Antec 550w power supply because the box said it had the 3 12v rails. My old Antec 430 only had two. I installed the power supply but this thing looks totally different from my old one. I plugged the huge onto my board, the one that splits into two with 4 prongs into the mother board and plugged the other two (even though they look different) into the two video cards and I'm not getting either vid card enabled at start up. its a antec 550w Basiq ..any help would be awesome.Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec%20550w%20atx12v%20power%20supply&IsVirtualParent=1
Edited by Nickc84 - 3/25/13 at 12:26pm
post #2 of 35
Thread Starter 
I just tried to boot with just one vid card, took out out the new one and put the PCI-E 12v volt and it still boots without any video card detected
Edited by Nickc84 - 3/25/13 at 1:02pm
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc84 View Post

So I upgraded to a Antec 550w power supply because the box said it had the 3 12v rails. My old Antec 430 only had two. I installed the power supply but this thing looks totally different from my old one. I plugged the huge onto my board, the one that splits into two with 4 prongs into the mother board and plugged the other two (even though they look different) into the two video cards and I'm not getting either vid card enabled at start up. its a antec 550w Basiq ..any help would be awesome.Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec%20550w%20atx12v%20power%20supply&IsVirtualParent=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc84 View Post

I just tried to boot with just one vid card, took out out the new one and put the PCI-E 12v volt and it still boots without any video card.

Okay. Give me your motherboard model and video cards.

1. Does the computer start up with neither video card in?
2. What is happening in general>?
post #4 of 35
Okay. CLICK THIS LINK which shows a guide of your PSU's connectors. You plug the "20+4 Pin" connector into your motherboard. You also plug the "4+4 Pin ATX/EPS" into your motherboard, up around the processor.

Now. You need to tell me your GPU's so I can see what sort of connectors they require.
post #5 of 35
^^^^ This.

The power supply has a few things that MUST be plugged in for your system to work:

1. 24-pin ATX cable (the big one) needs to be plugged in to the motherboard. This is very often a 20+4 pin connector, because older ATX motherboards only had 20-pin connections. The 4 pins were added on in ATX 2.0 to supply more power for more power hungry processors. If your motherboard has a 24-pin connector, it must have a 24-pin power supply. Sounds like you probably got that one hooked up right.

2. The motherboard will usually ALSO have a 4-pin or 8-pin supplemental power connection. This is usually called an EPS+12V or ATX+12V connection, and if you have a spot on your motherboard to plug it in - you should have a matching connector on the power supply to do so. Running a motherboard w/o this supplemental power connection hooked up will result in your PCIe cards not working, OR the entire system not booting because there's not enough current available to run your CPU+Memory+Video card. *** I'm putting my money on this one, LOL. ***

3. Your video cards probably have one or two PCIe 6-pin or 8-pin power connections. If there's two connectors on each card, you need BOTH of them plugged in to that card. You can't run a video card with 2 connectors by having only one attached - I've seen some people try, but it won't work ... and if it did work, you run a high risk of blowing the VRM on the card when it's under load.


Greg
post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies. I got the "20+4 Pin" connector to motherboard and "4+4 Pin to the top of motherboard all set. I have two HD xfx 7770 OC edition cards. The single one ran fine in my old 430 antec. When I plug in the pci-e 12v 6pin running from the power supply to card its not recognizing it. I have a Asus M5a97
post #7 of 35
(double post, sorries)
Edited by ./Cy4n1d3\. - 3/25/13 at 1:32pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc84 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I got the "20+4 Pin" connector to motherboard and "4+4 Pin to the top of motherboard all set. I have two HD xfx 7770 OC edition cards. The single one ran fine in my old 430 antec. When I plug in the pci-e 12v 6pin running from the power supply to card its not recognizing it. I have a Asus M5a97

Okay. I assume it boots into either the bios or windows.

1. Let's start with one GPU. Just place one gpu in the computer. Use a PCI-e power cord.
post #9 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ./Cy4n1d3\. View Post

Okay. I assume it boots into either the bios or windows.

1. Let's start with one GPU. Just place one gpu in the computer. Use a PCI-e power cord.


It boots in windows but the single card is not recognized so all the icons and font are huge on the screen. Is it possible there's not enough power? It ran fine on my 430 antec and this is 550
Edited by Nickc84 - 3/25/13 at 1:36pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc84 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ./Cy4n1d3\. View Post

Okay. I assume it boots into either the bios or windows.

1. Let's start with one GPU. Just place one gpu in the computer. Use a PCI-e power cord.


It boots in windows but the single card is not recognized so all the icons and font are huge on the screen. Is it possible there's not enough power? It ran fine on my 430 antec and this is 550

Wait. Have you installed drivers from AMD's website? My card is perfectly functional, but on a new install icons are huge because the resolution is very low until you install drivers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › So Confused! new power supply and Crossfire