Originally Posted by Redwoodz
Electric cars are fail except intown metro areas. They are inefficient. Hybrid is much better. No one thinks about all the energy consumption it takes to make electricity,usually some coal-fired,CO emmitting 1950's relic. The batteries are too heavy,and if we all used them landfills across the world would be filled with them. They are not the answer.
Now if it was solar-powered,or battery tech progresses enough,then yeah EV's will have a place. EV Supercars are a long way off from being even close to practical.And yes,no sounds sucks,and is very dangerous,just waiting for more people to get killed by silent cars.
lol, so much of this is wrong.
1. Hybrids have half the "problems" you mentioned.
2. Batteries can be recycled and what do you think happens to regular old cars?
3. As electricity becomes cleaner, so do these vehicles with no change required by the owner. The fuel powered engine of a hybrid does not. This includes filtering out pollutants at the plant, new methods of electricity generation, better transportation of electricity, etc.
4. There has never been a single supercar that had any intention of being practical.
5. You can't here the motor or exhaust on 90% of the cars on the street to begin with. You hear the noise from the tires. Can't even tell my 400hp Camaro SS is on when standing next (which is depressing). If you rely on hearing the engine or exhaust of ANY vehicle to know it's coming then you are doing it wrong in the first place. No engine sound sucks, but it's not any more dangerous.
Originally Posted by un-midas touch
First smart post in here. Think of EVs as the laserdisc of cars. Ridiculously overpriced and impractical. They're basically financial landmines for early adopters.
Laserdisc was a disc with digital data that is read with a laser. Same as a CD, DVD, or BluRay. EV isn't the laserdisc of cars, current versions of EV cars are the laserdiscs of cars because they will probably need a different plug standard in the future and what not.Edited by Kirmie - 3/26/13 at 3:16pm