Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Upgrade to 7950 or CF 7850
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade to 7950 or CF 7850

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if it was worth it to switch from a MSI TwinFrozr 7850 (1150/1450) to MSI TwinFrozr 7950 (clocked to 7950) ? Or Crossfire 7850?

I'm running a 7850 to play Tomb Raider 2013 with TressFX on high and I get FPS dips into the 20s when there is a cutscene. Will a 7950 make the ultimate setting preset?

7850: $200
7950: $300
AMD Never Settle Bundle: $?


Other questions:

1) If i do upgrade how much can I get for my 7850 (brought the first one $250) ?
2) How much is the bundle worth if I do decide to sell the games on Ebay?
3) What are the some awesome clock speeds anyone can get with the 7950?
4) Other suggestions?

Thanks Guys! smile.gif
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 23
Normally I'd always recommend one single powerful card over a crossfire of two weaker cards, but considering you already have one of the 7850's, it does seem like the better option.
Performance-wise, it should be quite a bit better than a single card, but you might have some scaling and microstutter issues you wouldn't have with a single card.

As for the bonus questions:

1: I really couldn't say for sure, but 125-150 doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
2: I'd check if there's not some clause in the bundle that makes the games illegal for resale, just so that you don't get in trouble. If not, the games should be an easy 30$ a piece.
3: No idea, I'll leave this one to the others, since I don't have any hands-on experience with latest-gen AMD cards.
Behemoth
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960x Rampage V Extreme Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LPX [16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Synology NAS [10 drives] Custom loop [mostly EKWB] Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS PG279Q Dell UltraSharp UP2716D Das Keyboard Professional 4 Corsair HX1200i 
CaseMouseOtherOther
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G900 Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Rode NT-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Behemoth
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960x Rampage V Extreme Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LPX [16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB Synology NAS [10 drives] Custom loop [mostly EKWB] Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS PG279Q Dell UltraSharp UP2716D Das Keyboard Professional 4 Corsair HX1200i 
CaseMouseOtherOther
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G900 Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Rode NT-USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyaena View Post

Normally I'd always recommend one single powerful card over a crossfire of two weaker cards, but considering you already have one of the 7850's, it does seem like the better option.
Performance-wise, it should be quite a bit better than a single card, but you might have some scaling and microstutter issues you wouldn't have with a single card.

As for the bonus questions:

1: I really couldn't say for sure, but 125-150 doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
2: I'd check if there's not some clause in the bundle that makes the games illegal for resale, just so that you don't get in trouble. If not, the games should be an easy 30$ a piece.
3: No idea, I'll leave this one to the others, since I don't have any hands-on experience with latest-gen AMD cards.


Thanks for your reply. I'll see what others have to say as well.
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 23
My 7950 handles Tomb Raider pretty well. Average about 52fps on 1080p ultra + TressFX. Thats at 1000/1500.

But to the question of Crossfire or single 7950, its a pretty hard decision.... I believe that two 7850's will beat a single 7950 in a lot of games (if the drivers and profiles play along). I would go crossfire if I was in your position. AMD is quite quick these days to release new Beta drivers to iron out any problems
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
alt.sanity
(28 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4770k Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero AMD R9-290  AMD R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB OCZ Vector 256GB WD Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Green 3TB LG BluRay Lamptron FC5 V2 Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Quad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Triple XSPC Twin D5 Bay Res  XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EK FC7970 CSQ Plexi 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
[7] Corsair SP120 Performance [6] Corsair AF120 Performance Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung S23A700D 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235 Corsair K90 CherryMX Red Seasonic Platinum 1000W Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
R.A.T. 7 Contagion White Razer Goliathus Extend CM Storm Sirus MDPC-X Sleeving 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 23
Personally, I'd say hold out a bit longer. The 7850 is a great card. Prices may yet drop on the 7950 before you "need" one.

But, if you insist, the current most cost effective thing to do seems to be another 7850. However, there are other costs to consider. A single 7950 uses about 200W. Dual 7850's use about 250W. And, the heat from the lower card will raise temps of the other card, and the CPU. Think about it. In the SHORT run, the cost will surpass any loss of sale value of the 7850. Just sell it, and buy the 7950 with a free copy of Crysis3 and Bioshock. $120 in games.... HERRROOOOOO???

As for the other questions:

1. About 75% of original cost, likely. $188
2. dunno
3. I'm seeing a lot of 1200/1600
4. Wait, deal with those "low" graphics.
Alienware 17 R2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
i7 4710hq NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Intel HD 4600 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 on Alienware Graphics Am... 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB DDR3-3200 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit 27" ASUS  
KeyboardMouse
Logitech G710 Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 17 R2
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
i7 4710hq NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Intel HD 4600 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 on Alienware Graphics Am... 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
16GB DDR3-3200 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit 27" ASUS  
KeyboardMouse
Logitech G710 Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by altsanity View Post

My 7950 handles Tomb Raider pretty well. Average about 52fps on 1080p ultra + TressFX. Thats at 1000/1500.

But to the question of Crossfire or single 7950, its a pretty hard decision.... I believe that two 7850's will beat a single 7950 in a lot of games (if the drivers and profiles play along). I would go crossfire if I was in your position. AMD is quite quick these days to release new Beta drivers to iron out any problems

The only problem I'm concerned of crossfire is micro stuttering. Your 7950 does quite well on ultra.
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIMP88 View Post

Personally, I'd say hold out a bit longer. The 7850 is a great card. Prices may yet drop on the 7950 before you "need" one.

But, if you insist, the current most cost effective thing to do seems to be another 7850. However, there are other costs to consider. A single 7950 uses about 200W. Dual 7850's use about 250W. And, the heat from the lower card will raise temps of the other card, and the CPU. Think about it. In the SHORT run, the cost will surpass any loss of sale value of the 7850. Just sell it, and buy the 7950 with a free copy of Crysis3 and Bioshock. $120 in games.... HERRROOOOOO???

As for the other questions:

1. About 75% of original cost, likely. $188
2. dunno
3. I'm seeing a lot of 1200/1600
4. Wait, deal with those "low" graphics.

Your probably right, sell off the 7850 and get a 7950. Crossfire seems to have its fair share of issues.
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
Livitis
(6 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.6 Ghz Asus P8Z77-V MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Patriot 16Gb 
Hard DrivePower
Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb OCZ 700w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 23
The 7950 is great. Did the same decision two days ago. Get it!
But beware of the MSI 7950 twin frozr. It could be possible it have a fan issue like mine does. It will turn up the fans beyond 55-60°C no matter what you try. To bad because i believe its one of the best cards.
I´m actually not sure if its a common problem or not.
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFenzee View Post

Your probably right, sell off the 7850 and get a 7950. Crossfire seems to have its fair share of issues.

always single GPU is the best option. a HD 7850 2GB can be sold for USD 120. anything more is difficult because new HD 7850 2GB cards with bioshock infinite and tombraider are selling for USD 190. a HD 7950 boost would be a nice upgrade. 50% faster performance.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 23
sell off your 7850 and get a 7970.....
not a 7950..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Upgrade to 7950 or CF 7850