Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Zotac 680 4gb vs Sapphire Vapor X 7970 ghz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zotac 680 4gb vs Sapphire Vapor X 7970 ghz

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2585874&sku=Z700-0674

ive never seen anyone or owned a Zotac card...are they any good?

Coil Whine? Heat? are they good for Overclocking????




http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

Vapor X

I had a previous Sapphire like on my Sig but it was giving me a bit of problems.....(just bad luck and a 1 year old baby shenanigans )





they are both at the same price and my specs are on my sig...


im doing 1080p atm but for my B day (4 more months ) ill be getting a higher res monitor!




any advantages one over the other?




Personal experiences with Sapphire and Zotac??



ill give some +rep for the help thanks
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Nvidia makes great cards and Zotac is exclusive to Nvidia so they know what are they doing, but Sapphire if I stand correct is an older company and is more expirienced. There is greater value in games than have coupons for some free2play games ingame currency and then waste in a month while you can also then spend more on those free2play games rather than have full fledged games.

AMD is at the same level as Nvidia and Sapphire's Vapor X is an good overclocker and cooler, it has 2 fans compared to just 1 fan while also it has bigger memory bandwidth. PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 will have GCN based GPU's so game developers are looking to get development and optimizations cost down so games will be optimized for AMD's GPU's so its future proof, also the drivers are fine and AMD GPU department finally managed to properly work on their drivers since GCN is a new architecture and very different compared to older AMD's GPU's...

Both sides will have problems in drivers and its normal.

Go with AMD, scales better for larger resolutions... But in the end its up to you.

Also when AMD gets revenue from next consoles and some of the profit will be invested in drivers so you can expect greater support and better drivers... You can hold me on that.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirr View Post

Nvidia makes great cards and Zotac is exclusive to Nvidia so they know what are they doing, but Sapphire if I stand correct is an older company and is more expirienced. There is greater value in games than have coupons for some free2play games ingame currency and then waste in a month while you can also then spend more on those free2play games rather than have full fledged games.

AMD is at the same level as Nvidia and Sapphire's Vapor X is an good overclocker and cooler, it has 2 fans compared to just 1 fan while also it has bigger memory bandwidth. PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 will have GCN based GPU's so game developers are looking to get development and optimizations cost down so games will be optimized for AMD's GPU's so its future proof, also the drivers are fine and AMD GPU department finally managed to properly work on their drivers since GCN is a new architecture and very different compared to older AMD's GPU's...

Both sides will have problems in drivers and its normal.

Go with AMD, scales better for larger resolutions... But in the end its up to you.

Also when AMD gets revenue from next consoles and some of the profit will be invested in drivers so you can expect greater support and better drivers... You can hold me on that.


+rep




im worried about coil whine and reading some reviews of the Vapor X scare me ( i do understand that out of a billion people buying ....the negatives will be posted more than the people enjoying it on their house!)


is HIS a good 7970?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161431
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
There are many brands, HIS is decent even thought Sapphire is better, Club 3D makes great overclocking cards so does ASUS... It depends from model to model from company to company...

The problem with reviews made by customers because they either don't understand computer hardware or expect too much like its so easy to install or have a get go, its not. Its always possible to have some problems sooner or later and the graphic card is not always the problem since PC's have various configurations and that can affect the result and I would not expect that each card from the same model will have identical performance since there are alot of factors and when going to nm scale they there are many things that can happen...

Do the research and see, find out for each card if they are heavy need a bracket or the cooler is not that good, check some sites, reviews, forums and decide. Also look how much you get for the money and what will affect in the future drivers of your GPU. Anyway AMD is now a safe bet in the long run.

Heres a "pro" tip, don't believe the sales man, some fanboys nor some sites that are biased eg [H]ardOCP and that... You can see their reviews, check results that people from forums get and come to your own conclusion, FPS in benchmarks made by that and that site does not mean anything, it will differ... So avoid bias sites and people.

Anything else?
post #5 of 11
680 with 4 gigs is useless, the bus is too small to make a decent use of the extra memory. The 4 gigs argument is pure marketting.
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001


went with the Vapor X!


thanks everyone!thumb.gif


hopefully it dosnt have any problems!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Pro. Voltage is not locked . Card looks amazing



Cons. Insane coil noise (worst ive ever heard to be honest) ....stock voltage is set @1.256 but i dosnt break 1100/1600 (my old 7970 did this with 1.200 locked voltage)

the fan at 50 sounds LOUD VERY LOUD and @ 100% i cant hear the game

ASIC score is 62 for a premium card that is supposed to be top of the line!!! lower than my 7970 OC with boost which had 67 ASIC

im a bit sad and in shock !!!!



This will get returned for a 680! im not even upset im more like in shock ...what are the odds!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbacio View Post

Pro. Voltage is not locked . Card looks amazing



Cons. Insane coil noise (worst ive ever heard to be honest) ....stock voltage is set @1.256 but i dosnt break 1100/1600 (my old 7970 did this with 1.200 locked voltage)

the fan at 50 sounds LOUD VERY LOUD and @ 100% i cant hear the game

ASIC score is 62 for a premium card that is supposed to be top of the line!!! lower than my 7970 OC with boost which had 67 ASIC

im a bit sad and in shock !!!!



This will get returned for a 680! im not even upset im more like in shock ...what are the odds!

Weird... Sapphire mostly makes great cards. Before you do that, check the forums and ask for help...
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirr View Post

Weird... Sapphire mostly makes great cards. Before you do that, check the forums and ask for help...

their forums? man this thing is loud problaby 2 times louder than my old OC with Boost
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 6700k ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO EVGA 1080 ti founders edition Trident Z 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra 2  Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 pro Asus PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Evga 1000w G3 Fractal Design  logitech g502 
Mouse Pad
Logitech G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbacio View Post

their forums? man this thing is loud problaby 2 times louder than my old OC with Boost

Was it triple of also a dual fan cooling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Zotac 680 4gb vs Sapphire Vapor X 7970 ghz