Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Gematsu] Sony shares new PlayStation 4 details at GDC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gematsu] Sony shares new PlayStation 4 details at GDC - Page 5

post #41 of 100
Consoles can get away with lower specs because of the low level access
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
Ole Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 830 CM1630 AMD Radeon HD 6750 Series Nanya Technology  
RAMRAMOptical DriveOS
Nanya Technology  Nanya Technology  CD/DVD Burner Windows 7 x64 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerAudio
48 " Sony 1080p Flatscreen TV Thermaltake 650 Watts Rolanf MA-8 Stereo Micro Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead79 View Post

I'm pretty sure that was the PS3 tagline a few years ago.

The issue with putting time and money into PC development is twofold.
1) PC game sales pale in comparision to console sales, the Xbox 360 in particular.
2) Piracy. You cannot deny that piracy on PC is a massive problem. I remember awhile back, CD Projekt was talking about how they'd sold a little over a million copies of The Witcher 2 on PC - and there were more than 7 million (I think it was 7 million. It was absurd) pirated copies. Ubisoft, EA, etc.. have all made statements about how bad piracy is on PC. They don't make those numbers up.

So, no, the upcoming generation of consoles won't usher in a new glorious age of PC gaming.
I'm going to assume you haven't kept up with what Valve have been doing over the past 10 years (hint: Steam) and how wildly successful they have been on PC?
They are living proof that piracy has got nothing to do with poor PC sales, a metric ton of people ARE willing to pay money for games.
post #43 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

I'm going to assume you haven't kept up with what Valve have been doing over the past 10 years (hint: Steam) and how wildly successful they have been on PC?
They are living proof that piracy has got nothing to do with poor PC sales, a metric ton of people ARE willing to pay money for games.

I don't understand how people use a drm client that literally hides and refuses to reveal actual sales as proof of actual sales. Or worse, to suggest that piracy has nothing to do with poor sales.

Especially when it is as easy to circumvent as any other.

Especially when there are whole communities dedicated to cracking Steam i.e. G***nL*ma

Steam is proof that Steam works (and not even as an actually effective DRM) and not much else.
Edited by GrizzleBoy - 3/28/13 at 3:20pm
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 100
Steam is a thriving marketplace that accounts for a large majority of PC game sales. I'm not sure how you can deny that. Just take a look at how many publishers decide to put their games on Steam sales. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't profitable and they weren't selling games. You can dislike Steam all you want but to deny that it makes up a good majority of PC game sales is foolish.
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

Steam is a thriving marketplace that accounts for a large majority of PC game sales. I'm not sure how you can deny that. Just take a look at how many publishers decide to put their games on Steam sales. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't profitable and they weren't selling games. You can dislike Steam all you want but to deny that it makes up a good majority of PC game sales is foolish.

You are arguing an argument that nobody brought up. Nobody in this discussion said they dislike Steam and nobody said that they don't make up a large amount of PC game sales.

Someone attempted to make the assertion that Steam is living proof that piracy has nothing to do with low PC sales, when it is not proof at all.

Publishers put their games on Steam because a lot of people use Steam (vision) and they put their games in Steam sales because its free advertising (more vision).

Neither of those things are proof that piracy has nothing to do with low PC sales.
Edited by GrizzleBoy - 3/28/13 at 3:30pm
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 100
I admit, I do pirate games, but ONLY because I hate wasting money on a game I don't like.

If I like it after I pirate it, I actually buy it. There are a few games I downloaded, didn't like, and that was that.

Then there's metro 2033. I wasn't really sure if I would like it (I've never been a huge FPS person, mainly an rpg and racer person) LOVED the game, bought it after playing for a couple hours.

Gonna buy it the day it comes out for sure. I've already set aside money for it.

I wish steam had demo's up for all their games. Something like a stripped down download, that lets you play through the like, first level or mission or something like that, to kind of give you a feel of what the game is like.

If they did that, I would never have to pirate a game again.
Taiga's 2nd wind
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB HDD Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 SSD Silverstone TD02-Lite Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer G257HU Roccat Isku Corsair CX600M Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
Taiga's 2nd wind
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB HDD Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 SSD Silverstone TD02-Lite Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer G257HU Roccat Isku Corsair CX600M Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 100
Well true, I'm sure piracy makes a difference. I'm just not willing to accept that it's this huge difference that certain companies claim it is. For anyone to make a real assessment on the affects of piracy on PC gaming they would first have to find out how many of those pirates were willing to pay real money for the game in the first place. Steam at the very least shows you that PC gaming is lucrative enough that you can have a thriving platform like Steam that just keeps growing.

That's what bugs me when people quote piracy numbers. Companies look at it as a lost sale. However, I bet a large chunk of those pirates were never going to buy their game in the first place. Simply saying, our game was pirated 8m times, therefore we lost 8m sales just isn't an honest assessment.
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post

I admit, I do pirate games, but ONLY because I hate wasting money on a game I don't like.

If I like it after I pirate it, I actually buy it. There are a few games I downloaded, didn't like, and that was that.

Then there's metro 2033. I wasn't really sure if I would like it (I've never been a huge FPS person, mainly an rpg and racer person) LOVED the game, bought it after playing for a couple hours.

Gonna buy it the day it comes out for sure. I've already set aside money for it.

I wish steam had demo's up for all their games. Something like a stripped down download, that lets you play through the like, first level or mission or something like that, to kind of give you a feel of what the game is like.

If they did that, I would never have to pirate a game again.

With Playstations 4s "download the first megabytes of game data and start playing while the rest downloads" feature, it seems like this something Sony could offer us.

Would also give incentive to developers to create really interesting and unique narratives or environments that will capture peoples attention and make them want to insta-transaction to continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

Well true, I'm sure piracy makes a difference. I'm just not willing to accept that it's this huge difference that certain companies claim it is. For anyone to make a real assessment on the affects of piracy on PC gaming they would first have to find out how many of those pirates were willing to pay real money for the game in the first place. Steam at the very least shows you that PC gaming is lucrative enough that you can have a thriving platform like Steam that just keeps growing.

That's what bugs me when people quote piracy numbers. Companies look at it as a lost sale. However, I bet a large chunk of those pirates were never going to buy their game in the first place. Simply saying, our game was pirated 8m times, therefore we lost 8m sales just isn't an honest assessment.

Quite possible.

As Nenkitsune says, people can end up using pirated copies and unofficial demos. Still, I question the overall morality and principle of most people to actually follow through with money if they played through a whole pirated game and enjoyed it.
Edited by GrizzleBoy - 3/28/13 at 3:54pm
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
It's-a tu maaach
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4GHz (1.2 vcore) Asus P7P55D EVO Powercolor 5850 4x 2GB of Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
2x 250GB (Raid 0) XSPC Raystorm CPU block + EK 360 rad + XSPC Dua... Samsung UE37C6000  Corsair K90 + Logitech G13 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Jeantech 1000W Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M90 Edirol UA-25 > pair of Pioneer S-DJ08  
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post

I admit, I do pirate games, but ONLY because I hate wasting money on a game I don't like.

If I like it after I pirate it, I actually buy it. There are a few games I downloaded, didn't like, and that was that.

Then there's metro 2033. I wasn't really sure if I would like it (I've never been a huge FPS person, mainly an rpg and racer person) LOVED the game, bought it after playing for a couple hours.

Gonna buy it the day it comes out for sure. I've already set aside money for it.

I wish steam had demo's up for all their games. Something like a stripped down download, that lets you play through the like, first level or mission or something like that, to kind of give you a feel of what the game is like.

If they did that, I would never have to pirate a game again.

With Playstations 4s "download the first megabytes of game data and start playing while the rest downloads" feature, it seems like this something Sony could offer us.

Would also give incentive to developers to create really interesting and unique narratives or environments that will capture peoples attention and make them want to insta-transaction to continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

Well true, I'm sure piracy makes a difference. I'm just not willing to accept that it's this huge difference that certain companies claim it is. For anyone to make a real assessment on the affects of piracy on PC gaming they would first have to find out how many of those pirates were willing to pay real money for the game in the first place. Steam at the very least shows you that PC gaming is lucrative enough that you can have a thriving platform like Steam that just keeps growing.

That's what bugs me when people quote piracy numbers. Companies look at it as a lost sale. However, I bet a large chunk of those pirates were never going to buy their game in the first place. Simply saying, our game was pirated 8m times, therefore we lost 8m sales just isn't an honest assessment.

Quite possible.

As Nenkitsune says, people can end up using pirated copies and unofficial demos. Still, I question the overall morality and principle of most people to actually follow through with money.

Yeah, I think like you said about the PS4's download while you play thing, they could even set it up as a try it before you buy it setup, where you can go ahead and start downloading the game before you buy it, and it'll let you say, play for the first 30 minutes without buying it. Then after you either hit a time limit, or a certian point on the map, the game pauses with a message "Would you like to purchase this game to unlock full content? Yes/No"

This would be a HUGE step forwards. Especially if companies started doing this for PC games.
Taiga's 2nd wind
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB HDD Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 SSD Silverstone TD02-Lite Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer G257HU Roccat Isku Corsair CX600M Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
Taiga's 2nd wind
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 1TB HDD Mushkin Enhanced Eco2 SSD Silverstone TD02-Lite Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer G257HU Roccat Isku Corsair CX600M Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 100
Sadly try before you buy is probably too creative of an idea for the typical game company to try and use. It's already a possibility on PS3 if you are a Playstation Plus subscriber (for certain game) and I believe Onlive also has such a feature but it's something that I wish was more mainstream.
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.7 GA-z77x-ud5h Crossfire 7950's / Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 16gb Samsung 30nm  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung F3 OCZ Vertex 3 XSPC Raystorm EK Coolstream 360 + XSPC RX240 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 8 Pro Crossover Q27 CM Quick Fire Rapid (Reds) NZXT Switch 810 
Mouse
Roccat Savu  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Gematsu] Sony shares new PlayStation 4 details at GDC