Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › What's the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck a GTX 680?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck a GTX 680?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm about to get an Asus GTX 680 TOP and this thing alone will cost around 600 bucks at the store where I'm about to purchase this card. The problem is that the shop only has 2/3 gpu brands available especially Asus and Gigabyte so I have no other choice. There is only 1 GTX 680 left and it's the TOP version which is expensive. Therefore, I've to think on a cheaper CPU that won't bottleneck the card. They've i5-3570k but it cost around 250 bucks which is very expensive too. I want to build a new rig and budget only around $1K.

Please help. Thanks!
post #2 of 20
What all do you need to buy with that $1000? Os? Monitor, keyboard etc? Imo, you should go with a gtx 670 and put the extra money towards the cpu, as the difference in performance between the 670 and 680 is pretty minimal, while the difference in price is kind of significant.
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 20
I'm not sure about the CPU but if you're on a budget then just get a nice 670.
Gaming PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3570k Sabertooth Z77 MSI GTX 680 Lightning 16GB 1866 G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Intel 520 180GB NH-D14 Asus VG236H Corsair AX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 3570k Sabertooth Z77 MSI GTX 680 Lightning 16GB 1866 G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Intel 520 180GB NH-D14 Asus VG236H Corsair AX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBooNI View Post

What all do you need to buy with that $1000? Os? Monitor, keyboard etc? Imo, you should go with a gtx 670 and put the extra money towards the cpu, as the difference in performance between the 670 and 680 is pretty minimal, while the difference in price is kind of significant.
They've a stock for GTX 670 which is around 450 bucks. I'm thinking to add a monitor only if the budget is enough. 1080p monitor is not many here and they're very expensive at around 200 bucks each. The 1K is actually for the rig only and not for keyboard, mouse and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaerwind View Post

I'm not sure about the CPU but if you're on a budget then just get a nice 670.
I might do that, I don't know.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post

They've a stock for GTX 670 which is around 450 bucks. I'm thinking to add a monitor only if the budget is enough. 1080p monitor is not many here and they're very expensive at around 200 bucks each. The 1K is actually for the rig only and not for keyboard, mouse and such.
I might do that, I don't know.

Can you order online as well? 450 for a gtx 670 seems expensive. When you say 1000 for just the rig, do you mean the tower+monitor?do you need an os?
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsCooling
I7 2600k Asus P8Z77A-V Pro Gtx 670 Hyper 212+ 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus xonar essence st Bottlehead Crack+Speedball Headphone Amp Sennheiser Hd650 M-Audio Bx8-D2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBooNI View Post

Can you order online as well? 450 for a gtx 670 seems expensive. When you say 1000 for just the rig, do you mean the tower+monitor?do you need an os?
I can't order online because I don't have credit card and my parents won't allow me to use their credit card either. I don't live in US but if I've credit card, I can order from newegg through forwarder because we've one newegg's forwarder in my country.

Just the tower and I have the os and I can install it myself.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post

I can't order online because I don't have credit card and my parents won't allow me to use their credit card either. I don't live in US but if I've credit card, I can order from newegg through forwarder because we've one newegg's forwarder in my country.

Just the tower and I have the os and I can install it myself.

The prices are too expensive. If using a credit card saves you hundreds of dollars you should be able to convince them mate smile.gif. Otherwise its probably cheaper to go abroad for a day and buy it closeby I'd wager.

As for the original question "what will bottleneck it" it depends too much on what game youre playing really. Most games can probably run fine on a decent I3, while some games with better multi-core support will run better on a 3770K than a 3570K for example (basically slightly bottlenecked by the 3570K).


The best bang/buck for high end systems is probably the 3570k, but great deals on FX-8350 is interesting too, and waiting for haswell will most likely drop the prices on IVY bridge processors a bit smile.gif.
Esmeralda
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-4770K MSI MPower Max ASUS GTX 780 Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue Samsung 840 Pro It makes noises and installs windows Kraken X60, 2x AF140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64-bit Samsung S23A750D Corsair Vengeance Zalman ZM850 plus 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal define R3 Corsair Vengeance M60 Steelseries Corsair Vengeance 
  hide details  
Reply
Esmeralda
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-4770K MSI MPower Max ASUS GTX 780 Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue Samsung 840 Pro It makes noises and installs windows Kraken X60, 2x AF140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64-bit Samsung S23A750D Corsair Vengeance Zalman ZM850 plus 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal define R3 Corsair Vengeance M60 Steelseries Corsair Vengeance 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliew View Post

The prices are too expensive. If using a credit card saves you hundreds of dollars you should be able to convince them mate smile.gif. Otherwise its probably cheaper to go abroad for a day and buy it closeby I'd wager.

As for the original question "what will bottleneck it" it depends too much on what game youre playing really. Most games can probably run fine on a decent I3, while some games with better multi-core support will run better on a 3770K than a 3570K for example (basically slightly bottlenecked by the 3570K).


The best bang/buck for high end systems is probably the 3570k, but great deals on FX-8350 is interesting too, and waiting for haswell will most likely drop the prices on IVY bridge processors a bit smile.gif.

I did that so many times and it never convinced them. They always think that it's dangerous whenever doing transaction in the cyber world especially with a thousand bucks! Unfortunately, its a NO for now.

For your information, I've many upcoming games in my list. Arma 3, DayZ Standalone, Battlefield 4, COD Ghost, GTA 5, The Elder Scrolls Online, Path Of Exile, Metro: Last Light, PS2 Emulator, Assassin's Creed IV, Dark Souls 2, Watch Dogs and so on. Of course the older one such as Battlefield 3, DayZ Mod, Skyrim and stuff like that. I know that a GTX 680 is capable running them on ultra plus MSAA but how bout the cpu??

I won't go for AMD cpus at the moment and of course I don't have the time waiting for Haswell.
post #9 of 20
Depends if you want to OC or not. 3570K if you want to OC, 3470/3570 if not. I can turbo up to 3.8GHz and its fine in games.
Edited by bluedevil - 3/28/13 at 5:06am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RyZen 1700  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Crucial Ballistix ELITE DDR4-3200 4GB x 4  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Swiftech H240-X2 Prestige Win10 Pro X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz Nixeus Moda Pro Mech w/Khail Browns EVGA P2 750 w/ CableMod Custom Cableset Fractal Design Define C 
MouseAudio
Nixeus Revel  Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RyZen 1700  ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Crucial Ballistix ELITE DDR4-3200 4GB x 4  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Swiftech H240-X2 Prestige Win10 Pro X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz Nixeus Moda Pro Mech w/Khail Browns EVGA P2 750 w/ CableMod Custom Cableset Fractal Design Define C 
MouseAudio
Nixeus Revel  Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 20
Not sure where you live, but I picked up a 3770k at microcenter for 229 usd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › What's the cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck a GTX 680?